It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
I heard that live and thought it was funny.

The way he said ... the Mariners made me know he knew what semen meant in that connotation.

So you mean "seamen", yes?

Semen always means semen, after all.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
The second that Selig ceases to be commissioner, the better off MLB will be. The game might actually get full instant replay one of these decades. Plus the ASG will go back to the meaningless piece of trash that it should be.

I do not support full instant replay. And in reality, I don't get too worked up on the whole ASG thing. Selig has done some pretty good things in his tenure, one of all, labor peace since 1994.

In the playoffs, I can get behind it and support it, but not for the regular season.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
I do not support full instant replay. And in reality, I don't get too worked up on the whole ASG thing. Selig has done some pretty good things in his tenure, one of all, labor peace since 1994.

In the playoffs, I can get behind it and support it, but not for the regular season.

I had no idea how expensive it would be to implement.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
I had no idea how expensive it would be to implement.

Plus you have potential disadvantages. You need every stadium to have the same set-up/systems. If you don't, there could be big differences. The other big thing is how do you figure out how to move the runners in situations where a foul ball is overturned to being called fair? That isn't objective (thus you've brought subjectivity back into the equation). Whats next, every borderline call is ruled fair (only to be overturned)?

I can live with it in the playoffs where the margin for error can ruin a season or series. I just don't believe you are going to miss out on the playoffs because of the lack of instant reply. You may win one or two games as a result of bad calls, but as a whole, that should even itself out over 162 games. Heck, even if the blown call happened in game 162 and cost you, I could probably point to a few other opportunities where a team got the benefit of the doubt anyway. Plus I don't want the game to be any slower.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Plus you have potential disadvantages. You need every stadium to have the same set-up/systems. If you don't, there could be big differences. The other big thing is how do you figure out how to move the runners in situations where a foul ball is overturned to being called fair? That isn't objective. Whats next, every borderline call is ruled fair (only to be overturned)?

To me this is the biggest factor. Everyone can say they want replay all they want when they see a missed call, but no one follows it further and says OK, if they reverse it, what's the situation now? No one takes the next steps and actually thinks about it.

You're playing imaginary baseball by overturning certain calls

Just got back from a Florida vacation. I watched the Marlins and Rays TV teams and they bored me to tears. Except for Orestes Destrade on the Rays post game show. He has a bit of panache to his delivery. I regularly get the Atlanta Braves on my home cable. This is the age where people think Survivor is great entertainment, special effects make a movie and Eminem is high art. I'll still take Hawk with all his faults, and yes he has them.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
My point is Hawk can pop off about the umpires every game the rest of the year, and really all Bud can do is ask him to stop. JR wants him to stop, probably for different reasons than Bud. I suspect JR would think the umpires, although we all know they are above this, may hold a grudge. Bud doesn't want every PBP guy bashing the umpires, and maybe some of it is for umpire safety.

I don't know how many MLB games you attend, but they show replays of all controversial plays on boards at every professional sporting event, except one. You will never see a replay of a close call on a board at an MLB park.

Well, Dick, Hawk just stated that he is an employee of the White Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
Well, Dick, Hawk just stated that he is an employee of the White Sox.

Here's what I read. See the last paragraph. I could see where he would say he works for the White Sox. Its an insestual relationship. Legally I'm pretty sure he's not a White Sox employee. I do know he isn't on the White Sox payroll for his PBP job. Maybe the pay him something to consult.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,0,33900.story

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)
Here's what I read. See the last paragraph. I could see where he would say he works for the White Sox. Its an insestual relationship. Legally I'm pretty sure he's not a White Sox employee. I do know he isn't on the White Sox payroll for his PBP job. Maybe the pay him something to consult.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,0,33900.story

It's like Chris Rongey saying he's an employee of the White Sox.

While Bob Grim works for the White Sox (Director of Broadcasting) and is his supervisor, he's not actually paid by the Sox.

Incestuous, by the way.

At any rate, I can see where Harrelson would definitely FEEL he works for the Sox, and less for WGN/Comcast. And technically, the other reason he can say that is the team is a minority shareholder in the broadcasting network that he is employed by, so it's like defining what "is" is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:26 PM)
It's like Chris Rongey saying he's an employee of the White Sox.

While Bob Grim works for the White Sox (Director of Broadcasting) and is his supervisor, he's not actually paid by the Sox.

Incestuous, by the way.

At any rate, I can see where Harrelson would definitely FEEL he works for the Sox, and less for WGN/Comcast. And technically, the other reason he can say that is the team is a minority shareholder in the broadcasting network that he is employed by, so it's like defining what "is" is.

The context in which he said it was when they were discussing the context for that White Sox Smart Car. They were reading the promo and he said "Is an employee of the White Sox eligible to win that car"?

Seemed like he was saying it is the legal sense.

Hawk's had a few good lines over the years. A guy broke his bat back when he was with Drysdale and Hawk said he'd have to get a "new piece of ash", Drysdale lost it. The "sacks packed with seamen" was pretty good.

Back around 1990 or 1991 the Sox were in Oakland, and they kept showing hot girls in bikinis on the screen. Hawk then says,"I'll tell you one thing about this camera crew in Oakland Wimpy.............best beaver shooters in the league.".

Why would anyone want to get rid of his guy?

• 9 months later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 22, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
I love Hawk and hope he realizes his dream and announces White Sox games until he dies. I love the catch phrases, I love he wants the White Sox to win as much as I do and even more during spring training. Every poster has been influenced as to how they watch the game by the Hawkeroo. I could do without his umpire bashing. I could do without the Jerry Manuel bashing that is still occurring, but for my money, I don't know how you would want to replace a guy that understands the game as much or more than anyone else you would bring in, and who would be more happy if the Sox won or as upset if they lose.

Wonderfully put!!

I'll say it as I always do, he's wonderful and he might not be the best if anyone else would do it the way he does. Most broadcasters tend to go with the "if I speak with little enough inflection, they might not even hear me" method with a little bit of "let's pretend I'm not on a local station"

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 07:26 PM)
I'll say it as I always do, he's wonderful and he might not be the best if anyone else would do it the way he does. Most broadcasters tend to go with the "if I speak with little enough inflection, they might not even hear me" method with a little bit of "let's pretend I'm not on a local station"

As I always do on this subject, I agree with you. I absolutely love Hawk and don't understand the hate for him. His enthusiasm fires me up and makes the game that much better to me. I also appreciate his old school stories, even if I've hear them multiple times.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 01:23 AM)
Tell me about it. 5 innings into the season and I was ready to put the game on mute. I still can't believe the Sox have let him stick around so long.

I had to listen to Rex Hudler today on the Royals' broadcast and he's a total homer and has a terrible voice. Hawk is a total homer but he also criticizes the Sox enough when they deserve it. Also KC radio man Steve Physioc is so bad it's laughable. He enunciates too much and talks to "you the fan" way too much. He'll say, "Fans .... leading off this inning is Lorenzo Cain."

Hate AJ?

-Check.

Hate Mark?

-Check.

Hate Kenny Williams?

-Check.

Hate Hawk and want him gone?

-Check.

Yep, this is still Soxtalk. I was getting worried there that maybe we'd go a full game into the season without disparaging a living legend of the franchise but whaddayaknow, here comes the hate train and it's carrying a full load of bulls***.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:41 PM)
I had to listen to Rex Hudler today on the Royals' broadcast and he's a total homer and has a terrible voice. Hawk is a total homer but he also criticizes the Sox enough when they deserve it. Also KC radio man Steve Physioc is so bad it's laughable. He enunciates too much and talks to "you the fan" way too much. He'll say, "Fans .... leading off this inning is Lorenzo Cain."

Is Rex Hudler the one that sounds like Hulk Hogan?

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
Hate AJ?

-Check.

Hate Mark?

-Check.

Hate Kenny Williams?

-Check.

Hate Hawk and want him gone?

-Check.

Yep, this is still Soxtalk. I was getting worried there that maybe we'd go a full game into the season without disparaging a living legend of the franchise but whaddayaknow, here comes the hate train and it's carrying a full load of bulls***.

Maybe if that living legend didn't ruin every TV broadcast of the franchise people wouldn't hate him? I grew up with Hawk and used to like him, but he is now hot garbage on the air and it's amazing that people don't see that simply because he says STRETCH!