It must be said - Hawk Harrelson has to go

Steve9347

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not really fair to lump in Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierzynski with Hawk or Beltin' Bill Melton.

That criticism has to do with their professional career outside of the sport, as it pertains to broadcasting ability.

I don't think very many fans were upset with either Buehrle or AJ for taking the money...everyone knew the White Sox weren't going to match, JR said as much to Mark and his family. And the budget numbers for 2013, and Flowers having to be given a chance AND, most importantly, AJ coming off unexpected career highs where we would be overpaying for him just didn't make much sense.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
I thank the living legends for their 'service'. Done.

Am I to never think critically about them, ever?

There's a difference between "never thinking critically" and "b****ing relentlessly."

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Maybe if that living legend didn't ruin every TV broadcast of the franchise people wouldn't hate him? I grew up with Hawk and used to like him, but he is now hot garbage on the air and it's amazing that people don't see that simply because he says STRETCH!

Hawk's left pinky finger knows more about baseball than you or I ever will (not so much me though). His signature calls are totally separate from that & if you can't respect his knowledge of the game then you should actually listen to him more, because he will teach you something.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 12:29 AM)
It's not really fair to lump in Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierzynski with Hawk or Beltin' Bill Melton.

That criticism has to do with their professional career outside of the sport, as it pertains to broadcasting ability.

I don't think very many fans were upset with either Buehrle or AJ for taking the money...everyone knew the White Sox weren't going to match, JR said as much to Mark and his family. And the budget numbers for 2013, and Flowers having to be given a chance AND, most importantly, AJ coming off unexpected career highs where we would be overpaying for him just didn't make much sense.

Nobody ever said Melton was any good.

Nobody "blames" Mark or AJ for taking contracts offered by other teams, especially since in both cases it was abundantly clear that the players wanted to stay but the Sox wanted to move on. The hate for AJ has been here since 2006 really I think, I think 05 was the one year pretty much everyone liked him. And the Mark hate has always been this veiled type of hatred where the fans say things that basically amount to "I love/respect Mark but he's not really that good and so I don't want him on my team anymore."

The Hawk hate IMO is primarily from those fans who either don't understand the game enough to find truth in what he says and/or don't understand the role of homer in Chicago sports broadcasting.

Hawk BTW definitely is a legend & definitely deserves to be lumped into that category of legendary Sox figures.

I think he's entertaining. He is a homer, and some of his calls get ridiculous, but he does not shy away from praising players on other teams nor from criticizing the Sox when it's needed.

He did go on and on yesterday about the Royals' catcher Perez. He can get fixated on players sometimes to the point of bizarre.

I really don't think there's another announcer out there like him.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:39 AM)
There's a difference between "never thinking critically" and "b****ing relentlessly."

Hawk's left pinky finger knows more about baseball than you or I ever will (not so much me though). His signature calls are totally separate from that & if you can't respect his knowledge of the game then you should actually listen to him more, because he will teach you something.

Well that's just incorrect, and that's another reason a lot of people don't like him. You'll learn something from Stone, but all you "learn" from Hawk at this point is catchphrases, how to ride umpires, and old baseball stories.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
The Hawk hate IMO is primarily from those fans who either don't understand the game enough to find truth in what he says and/or don't understand the role of homer in Chicago sports broadcasting.

Oh just stop it. It would be impossible for you to be talking more out of your ass.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
I think he's entertaining. He is a homer, and some of his calls get ridiculous, but he does not shy away from praising players on other teams nor from criticizing the Sox when it's needed.

He did go on and on yesterday about the Royals' catcher Perez. He can get fixated on players sometimes to the point of bizarre.

I really don't think there's another announcer out there like him.

What's the all-time Hawk-fixation team?

CF Carlos Gomez

LF Yaz

RF Ichiro

1B Russell Branyan

The main effect of Hawk is making people believe that Steve Stone is some kind of genius.

I will gladly concede that Hawk caters to the casual fan more than the avid one, though, in terms of baseball knowledge. He likes to teach parts of the game that anyone who played seriously or has watched closely for a long time would know. My girlfriend, on the other hand, learns a lot from Hawk -- of course, for her Hawk makes a boring game a lot less boring and she's become a huge fan...almost solely because Hawk drew her in. I really think folks underrate this. If you're flipping through channels, do you want Len Kasper (or other faceless broadcaster) droning on about this or that or a guy who actually conveys the ups and downs of a game.

In the end, I watch lots of Sox games by myself. Hawk is like my old buddy watching the game with me. Sometimes he says things I don't agree with, are silly, or predictable. More often, though, I feel good knowing I have a guy who is at least as invested as me if not more and is not afraid to show it.

...also with this once again rehashed Hawk sucks/Hawk needs to go thread (which we see every single year), the moment he's gone, you'll all be praising him as the former face of the White Sox and "miss him".

As Rick 'Wild Thing' Vaughn said at the end of MLII, "Blow it out your ass, loud mouth!"

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
What's the all-time Hawk-fixation team?

CF Carlos Gomez

LF Yaz

RF Ichiro

1B Russell Branyan

He typically gushes over outfielders. Bo Jackson, Grady Sizemore, and Jim Rice come to mind too.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:41 AM)
...also with this once again rehashed Hawk sucks/Hawk needs to go thread (which we see every single year), the moment he's gone, you'll all be praising him as the former face of the White Sox and "miss him".

Yay, more baseless projection.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)

Just a question...but other than the ownership group...who has been with the White Sox the longest? One could argue Kenny Williams since he was drafted by the White Sox in '82. But he played with other teams in between. Hawk has been with the White Sox since 1982. 31 years. Yes, we will miss him.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)

If you honestly think it's baseless projection for me to say people will be posting threads about him here, and on every other White Sox message board paying their respects when he retires and/or dies, you've...you've gotta be bleepin' me Wegner!

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
Just a question...but other than the ownership group...who has been with the White Sox the longest? One could argue Kenny Williams since he was drafted by the White Sox in '82. But he played with other teams in between. Hawk has been with the White Sox since 1982. 31 years. Yes, we will miss him.

Sure, people will miss him. I'm calling Bravo Sierra on the "you'll miss me when I'm gone" attitude projected on those that want him gone. The people who will miss him are the ones that like him.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)
If you honestly think it's baseless projection for me to say people will be posting threads about him here, and on every other White Sox message board paying their respects when he retires and/or dies, you've...you've gotta be bleepin' me Wegner!

Ugh, you're acting like I'm saying that everyone hates him. I'm saying the ones that do aren't going to change their minds if he leaves. ( which he won't unless he dies)

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
Sure, people will miss him. I'm calling Bravo Sierra on the "you'll miss me when I'm gone" attitude projected on those that want him gone. The people who will miss him are the ones that like him.

Until he gets replaced with someone infinitely more boring. Think about the people out there... How would you like to hear Frank Thomas call 162 games?