Bigger career disappointment...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
I know injuries and surgeries really derailed both of their careers, but who is the bigger disappointment based on how they looked early in their careers, Francisco Liriano or Kerry Wood?

Liriano. He was so dominant in 06 and was almost just as dominant in 2010.

Wood had incredible stuff, but Liriano featured a slider in the low 90s and a fastball in the mid 90s when he first came up. He was also left handed. When both were healthy, Liriano was far better. Wood was a borderline all-star when he was pitching, Liriano was a potential Cy Young Award winner.

Kerry Wood and it's not even a question. In his 5th career start, he threw what many consider to be the greatest game EVER pitched, and Bill James GameScore backs that up. Then he is solid in 2003, takes the Cubs on this magical run and blows it when they are right on the WS doorstep, then he is never a good starter again.

I'm going to go with Wood but I have to go pretty far back to justify it. Wood was the #4 pick in the country. Wood was supposed to be good. Liriano was an international free agent signee, and after a couple years, the Giants thought so much of him that they included him as a throw-in for AJ Pierzynski.

Hard to pick one if you say "From the start of their major league careers", but throw in the pre-big league expectations and I get Wood.

Wood AINEC. If the internet back then was anything like it is now, he would of been very hyped. Still a good reliever for a number of years, but damn what could of been... That said, still a good career for him. Now if you wanna talk about even more of a disappointment, look at his former teammate on the Cubs who everyone thought was gonna be one of the best in the game (was such a stud at USC)...

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Wood AINEC. If the internet back then was anything like it is now, he would of been very hyped. Still a good reliever for a number of years, but damn what could of been... That said, still a good career for him. Now if you wanna talk about even more of a disappointment, look at his former teammate on the Cubs who everyone thought was gonna be one of the best in the game (was such a stud at USC)...

That's the winner right there. I remember how badly the Twins were getting flamed after 2003 for picking the cheaper hometown boy instead of him.

Liriano was a piece in a three for one trade deal so his stock was nowhere near as high as Wood or Prior right out of the gate. There were always injury risk questions as there was with Wood.

In this conversation the impeccable mechanics of Mark Prior make him the greatest disappointment.

We could have been front row for an almost Braves like stretch if the Cubs could have kept those guys healthy.

Thank God they didn't.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
I was struck last night by the similarities between Wood and Liriano with the expectations, the questions about their health because of their arm actions, and of course their nasty stuff. That's why I picked those two guys specifically.

Winner. Gooden may have had the best stuff, ever.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 06:56 PM)
We could have been front row for an almost Braves like stretch if the Cubs could have kept those guys healthy.

Thank God they didn't.

:notworthy :notworthy

Dusty and Josh Beckett should be inducted into the White Sox Hall of Fame

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Kerry Wood - no doubt about it. He could have been a top 10 pitcher of all-time.

wtf?

He never won more than 14 games in a season and never had an ERA better than 3.20

In 6 seasons of being a SP he pretty much avg 11 wins and an era over 4

Top 10? Yikes. The K's were impressive though.