AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

justBLAZE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)
And not only that, but he just keeps getting better. He is a marvel.

I hope he stays with the Sox the rest of his career. If he can stick around and stay healthy through 2015, he may be over 500 homers in a Sox uniform, and we may be talking Hall of Fame numbers by then. That would be incredible.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
I hope he stays with the Sox the rest of his career. If he can stick around and stay healthy through 2015, he may be over 500 homers in a Sox uniform, and we may be talking Hall of Fame numbers by then. That would be incredible.

Every year he sticks around in the post-steroid era and keeps putting up legit numbers is a year that could separate him from the steroid-stained pack. If he can make it to 500 homers in a 30-35 homer per year fashion, he could put together a case to sneak into the Hall eventually.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Every year he sticks around in the post-steroid era and keeps putting up legit numbers is a year that could separate him from the steroid-stained pack. If he can make it to 500 homers in a 30-35 homer per year fashion, he could put together a case to sneak into the Hall eventually.

What are the chances of him making the Hall without reaching 500 HRs? Say he retires with 460+? I understand the chances would probably be next to none, but it would be a shame as , like you said, he's been putting up legit numbers in the post-steroid era.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 24, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
What are the chances of him making the Hall without reaching 500 HRs? Say he retires with 460+? I understand the chances would probably be next to none, but it would be a shame as , like you said, he's been putting up legit numbers in the post-steroid era.

No MVP awards, 1 top 5 MVP finish, no seasons leading the league in HR, .863 career OPS, 5 all star appearances. 1 ALCS MVP award, 1 WS ring.

That's the definition of "hall of very good". He absolutely needs the milestone to get in.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
What would happen if Paulie got hit in the face a third time? He'd probably never strike out, line out, pop out, or fly out. He'd be intentionally walked even if the bases were loaded.

he'd get intentionally walked while still on-deck.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
No MVP awards, 1 top 5 MVP finish, no seasons leading the league in HR, .863 career OPS, 5 all star appearances. 1 ALCS MVP award, 1 WS ring.

That's the definition of "hall of very good". He absolutely needs the milestone to get in.

Yeah, you're right. I suppose we view him as so much better because he's been one of the best players for the Sox for so long.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
he'd get intentionally walked while still on-deck.

MLB would probably adopt the men's slow-pitch softball rule where you can just tell the umpire you're giving him the base.

Exactly. He needs something. MVP, another World Series, 500 homers... Something to make that HOF resume pop.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
What would happen if Paulie got hit in the face a third time? He'd probably never strike out, line out, pop out, or fly out. He'd be intentionally walked even if the bases were loaded.

Wasn't Jeffy Alphabet the third time?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Let's be honest. He's not the MVP if the season ended right now. If he'd hit 5 more home runs so far this year, he still wouldn't be the MVP right now.

Well, the current MVP front-runner is way overdue for an injury/relapse, so by default, Konerko is the MVP right now.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 24, 2012 -> 10:34 AM)
PK needs not only an MVP, but likely another ring if not more. Plus I think 500 HR is necessary.

Yeah, I think 500 homers would be a starting point for his hall credentials. Add a bunch of AS Games, ALCS MVP, maybe 2 or 3 top-5 MVPs, a model citizen, a team captain. Some of the off the field stuff does matter when it comes to the Hall. But I do think he has to get to 500 homers. He has to hit 102 more for 500 hr in a Sox uniform. Tell me a Yankee that would hit 500 homers as a Yankee without PED stuff, and not make it in.