Addison Reed IS the Sox closer

southsider2k5

In other news, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,2897575.story

Manager Robin Ventura confirmed Wednesday what has been obvious for the past 2 1/2 weeks -- that rookie Addison Reed is the Chicago White Sox's closer.

"He's earned that, and I feel comfortable putting him in there," Ventura said before Wednesday's game against Minnesota. "That's who we'd be using if we're winning."

Reed has converted all four save opportunities, thanks to a powerful fastball.

"Some nights he's up to 98 (mph) and some nights he's 96, but he's still pretty good," Ventura said. "Even when you'd look at him and think he didn't have it, he's got it."

Ventura likes Reed's poise for a rookie, but Reed has been groomed as a closer since his sophomore season at San Diego State in 2009, when Stephen Strasburg was the ace of the Aztecs' staff.

"I don't think he cares," Ventura said. "I think he just wants the ball and pitches. I really don't see, from spring training on every time you hand him the ball he's not overwhelmed by any situation."

Ventura said Reed was ready to be named closer at the end of spring training, but the Sox opted for rookie left-hander Hector Santiago and veteran left-hander Matt Thornton for a brief period before Reed took over earlier this month.

"The way it worked out, I think it's going to be better for him in the long run," Ventura said.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
So you're telling me a clearly easy management decision back in spring training may cost the Sox a playoff spot? Cool.

I really don't see that this was an easy management decision. Most really good closers have one outstanding off speed or "trick" pitch. Rivera with the cutter, Hoffman with the changeup etc. Reed does have an outstanding fastball and good offspeed stuff but Santiago has that screwball that really could make a difference. And it's not like Reed had or even has a track record of success in the majors. In a year where no one expected them to be in playoff contention, I can see where Santiago's skill set was very tempting. I can't say I agreed with it but I can see the logic behind it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
I really don't see that this was an easy management decision. Most really good closers have one outstanding off speed or "trick" pitch. Rivera with the cutter, Hoffman with the changeup etc. Reed does have an outstanding fastball and good offspeed stuff but Santiago has that screwball that really could make a difference. And it's not like Reed had or even has a track record of success in the majors. In a year where no one expected them to be in playoff contention, I can see where Santiago's skill set was very tempting. I can't say I agreed with it but I can see the logic behind it.

Reed = best relief prospect in baseball. Me before spring training: who the hell is Hector Santiago? Besides, I think most of us can agree that Santiago is more fit to be a starter with his arsenal. Not a closer.

In a season where you thought you wouldn't contend, why not give Reed the job from the start? It puzzled me that it took so long for Reed to get a chance.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
Reed = best relief prospect in baseball. Me before spring training: who the hell is Hector Santiago? Besides, I think most of us can agree that Santiago is more fit to be a starter with his arsenal. Not a closer.

In a season where you thought you wouldn't contend, why not give Reed the job from the start? It puzzled me that it took so long for Reed to get a chance.

Because it is much easier to do something if Santiago fails versus if Reed fails.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

I would disagree with that. I'm not saying he can't be. I think many people on this board wanted and still want Santiago to be a starter. However, the last time I checked this is not a message board for scouts and/or management in the majors. I agree that Reed looks to be a good closer candidate however, his doesn't have that "special" pitch which separate him from others. Santiago has a different pitch that could make him special. However, he decided to not throw strikes and that will obviously hurt him. I think it was a good gamble that hasn't worked out.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
I would disagree with that. I'm not saying he can't be. I think many people on this board wanted and still want Santiago to be a starter. However, the last time I checked this is not a message board for scouts and/or management in the majors. I agree that Reed looks to be a good closer candidate however, his doesn't have that "special" pitch which separate him from others. Santiago has a different pitch that could make him special. However, he decided to not throw strikes and that will obviously hurt him. I think it was a good gamble that hasn't worked out.

You don't need a special pitch to be a closer. Would it be nice to have one? Sure, but guys like Rivera are one in a million.

Reed has more than enough stuff to be a successful closer.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)

Reed has been groomed to be the closer of the future since he was drafted, absolutely dominated the minor leagues, was named best relief prospect in baseball by numerous publications and has very good stuff.

Reed was the clear and easy choice from day 1 to be the closer and per usual this organization messed it up. Thankfully, for once we were actually quick to act on something instead of letting it play out for months only to cost the team more games.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Reed has been groomed to be the closer of the future since he was drafted, absolutely dominated the minor leagues, was named best relief prospect in baseball by numerous publications and has very good stuff.

Reed was the clear and easy choice from day 1 to be the closer and per usual this organization messed it up. Thankfully, for once we were actually quick to act on something instead of letting it play out for months only to cost the team more games.

Did they really mess it up though? There is ALOT less attention and pressure on him this far into the season being named the closer and we are only a few games back. I dont mind it although I called this from the beginning.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)

Lots of scouts and publications listed him as the best closer prospect in baseball coming into the season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Did they really mess it up though? There is ALOT less attention and pressure on him this far into the season being named the closer and we are only a few games back. I dont mind it although I called this from the beginning.

Yes. Because we've blown a few games when Addy should have been out there instead of Hector/Thornton.

Addy has shown to have the closers mentality through out his minor league career and there was no reason to ease him into the situation. Not to mention that plenty of guys in the last few years have just been thrown into the closers role and been successful.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
You don't need a special pitch to be a closer. Would it be nice to have one? Sure, but guys like Rivera are one in a million.

Reed has more than enough stuff to be a successful closer.

You don't have to have one but most of the really effective one do. From recent examples. Cutter: Rivera, Slider: Roberto Hernandez, Marmol, Changeup: Hoffman and Foulke, Curveball: Jenks.

Again, I'm not sure it was right decision. I thought Reed looked better, but I can see why they might want to try it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
"someone else" = Santiago?

Or pretty much anyone else in that pen. Thornton's stuff is still the same but he's been "Iffy", Crain's been hurt, Jones has pitched his tail off but he's been worked more innings than anyone else in the pen already, Stewart has pitched like a rookie who needs experience, and Santiago is the guy who blew those games.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)

I still see the reason to try Santiago. If someone looks like they may have something special (screwball) I don't see a reason not to try it. Far too many "best whatever" prospects fail so that isn't a definitive reason not to try something else if you really think it could work.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:27 PM)
Or pretty much anyone else in that pen. Thornton's stuff is still the same but he's been "Iffy", Crain's been hurt, Jones has pitched his tail off but he's been worked more innings than anyone else in the pen already, Stewart has pitched like a rookie who needs experience, and Santiago is the guy who blew those games.

If we were going to ease someone into the role wouldn't it make more sense to start the guy with 0 closing experience in the 7th or 8th innings instead of just throwing him in the closers role?

You are right though, it's obviously not a 100 percent certainty that we would have won those games, far from it but everything about the decision to have Reed start in the "middle" innings and Santiago start as the closer made no sense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
You don't have to have one but most of the really effective one do. From recent examples. Cutter: Rivera, Slider: Roberto Hernandez, Marmol, Changeup: Hoffman and Foulke, Curveball: Jenks.

Again, I'm not sure it was right decision. I thought Reed looked better, but I can see why they might want to try it.

Reed has an incredibly good slider comparable to the pitches a lot of those guys have. It's not like Reed is Jason Motte or Matt Thornton pumping nothing but fastballs.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
If we were going to ease someone into the role wouldn't it make more sense to start the guy with 0 closing experience in the 7th or 8th innings instead of just throwing him in the closers role?

You are right though, it's obviously not a 100 percent certainty that we would have won those games, far from it but everything about the decision to have Reed start in the "middle" innings and Santiago start as the closer made no sense.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the decision to go with someone other than Reed as the closer was sensible, I'm saying you can't strictly take those 3 games that Santiago blew and say "now those are wins and we'd be 3 games better in the standings", because you'd have taken Reed out of several high leverage situations to put him in the closer role.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
Reed has an incredibly good slider comparable to the pitches a lot of those guys have. It's not like Reed is Jason Motte or Matt Thornton pumping nothing but fastballs.

I realize that but like you said it's a good pitch but not something really special. I think Reed has shown he will be a good one with his mental makeup and and (so far) his ability to throw strikes. However, as far pure stuff goes he really isn't much different than a guy like Santiago.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
I realize that but like you said it's a good pitch but not something really special. I think Reed has shown he will be a good one with his mental makeup and and (so far) his ability to throw strikes. However, as far pure stuff goes he really isn't much different than a guy like Santiago.

Santiago could have "Great" pure stuff but he needs to be able to be effective with that screwball. It's been a meatball so far, without very sharp break and not nearly high enough in the zone.

His curveball was ok, not back breaking, and he's throwing 93-94 mph heat. He's not as deceptive as the good Matt Thornton...but 93+ heat thrown for strikes will get outs.

For him to be great, he needs to be able to throw that offspeed stuff either for strikes at the knees or start it off as a strike and have it break out of the zone low, rather than having it come in waist high.

If he could have all 3 pitches throwable for strikes, he could be bringing 93 mph heat, 84 mph screwball, and 77 mph curve, and the batter really wouldn't have a shot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)

High 90's with a low 90's slider and a change? Thats plus stuff.