Addison Reed IS the Sox closer

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Santiago could have "Great" pure stuff but he needs to be able to be effective with that screwball. It's been a meatball so far, without very sharp break and not nearly high enough in the zone.

His curveball was ok, not back breaking, and he's throwing 93-94 mph heat. He's not as deceptive as the good Matt Thornton...but 93+ heat thrown for strikes will get outs.

For him to be great, he needs to be able to throw that offspeed stuff either for strikes at the knees or start it off as a strike and have it break out of the zone low, rather than having it come in waist high.

If he could have all 3 pitches throwable for strikes, he could be bringing 93 mph heat, 84 mph screwball, and 77 mph curve, and the batter really wouldn't have a shot.

This was my point. Santiago looked really good in spring training with his control and command. So I can understand why they gave him a shot. Once he lost that i can see why they changed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:13 PM)
High 90's with a low 90's slider and a change? Thats plus stuff.

That is plus stuff. Santiago has nearly the same stuff plus the screwball. So I can see why they gave him a shot.

If I had to compare Reed's stuff to anybody, it would probably be Brad Lidge. Reed's has the out pitch in the slider. His fastball is plain nasty despite not hitting triple digits.

I'd guess they didn't want to risk throwing him into the gauntlet too early. It's a nice change to the usual MO of rushing pitchers. If the early blown saves cost us a playoff spot, I'll buy all flavum's drinks for the next year. The Sox are not a playoff team.