Quintana to start Friday

flavum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quintana has been a great pickup and KW/Hahn deserve a ton of credit for the move. He's definitely been one of the better starters in the Southern League and obviously looked good in his apperance up here. I still don't get why the Yankees let him go but I'm happy they did.

Honestly, we actually have some decent SP depth this year. Between Quintana and Alexrod we should two solid options for spot starts and double-headers.

Well, I agree that Quintana looked good in his one outing so far, and I guess for that fixed low cost, he's already been a success no matter what he does the rest of his big league career...but let's not forget, he has less experience above High A coming into this season than Nestor Molina.

And Molina was the centerpiece of the biggest trade of our offseason, whereas SoxTalk barely even noticed the Quintana acquisition.

I guess those are the type of maneuvers that usually have ended up as KW's best, the completely under the radar ones.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,4469979.story

Article:

Chicago White Sox left-hander John Danks will be placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Sunday, because of soreness behind his left pitching shoulder.

Left-hander Jose Quintana will take Danks' spot in the rotation and will start Friday night against American League Central leader Cleveland.

Neither manager Robin Ventura nor Danks believe the injury is serious, and Danks said he thinks he can rejoin the rotation after June 4.

Danks said he felt discomfort after his start Saturday against the Cubs, when he threw only 83 pitches in 6 1/3 shutout innings. But he insisted he felt fine until one day after the start, when he had difficulty playing catch.

"It’s not my job to question Robin and Coop (pitching coach Don Cooper)," Danks said. "They obviously saw something and there was something to it, I guess."

Danks insisted the injury has nothing to do with his 3-4 with a 5.70 ERA. He said he was ready to make his start Friday but decided it was in the best interest to treat his shoulder after talking to general manager Ken Williams and the Sox's training staff. He also underwent an MRI Thursday morning.

"It’s in the back of the shoulder," Danks said. "I went and had a MRI this morning. I was feeling different than I normally would. I don’t know. I’m no doctor but I told them I was prepared to pitch tomorrow. I still feel like I probably could, but in talking to Kenny and Robin and (trainer) Herm Schneider, it’s better to be safe than sorry."

Quintana threw 5 2/3 innings of one-hit ball in relief in his only major league appearance at Cleveland on May 7.

Here's how labrum tears often work...

unalarming loss of velocity

tiredness/lack of recovery in the arm

rest

fruitless return

more tests reveal torn labrum

/career

FWIW, back of shoulder pain = not good sign in this case either. Hopefully this is just a blip and we forget about it.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:28 AM)
Here's how labrum tears often work...

unalarming loss of velocity

tiredness/lack of recovery in the arm

rest

fruitless return

more tests reveal torn labrum

/career

FWIW, back of shoulder pain = not good sign in this case either. Hopefully this is just a blip and we forget about it.

Usually, the back of the shoulder pain is a less serious problem. Labral problems typically show up at the top or front of the shoulder. rotator cuff problems usually show up further down the arm. No shoulder problems are good but these complaints are usually muscular not cartilage or tendon issues.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
Usually, the back of the shoulder pain is a less serious problem. Labral problems typically show up at the top or front of the shoulder. rotator cuff problems usually show up further down the arm. No shoulder problems are good but these complaints are usually muscular not cartilage or tendon issues.

Good stuff, glad to see you pop in when injury probems come up. The back of shoulder was where I felt pain when I tore my labrum, but I really wasn't sure if that was common or not.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

ptatc comes through again! Clutch!

QUOTE (Jake @ May 25, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
Good stuff, glad to see you pop in when injury probems come up. The back of shoulder was where I felt pain when I tore my labrum, but I really wasn't sure if that was common or not.

It can happen but yours is the more uncommon case. You can tear the posterior labrum but the most common area is where the long head of the biceps tendon connects to the labrum. This is about 1 o'clock on a dial if you picture a clock bieng on the shoulder. It's referred to as a SLAP lesion which stands for Superior Labrum Anterior to Posterior.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 25, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
It can happen but yours is the more uncommon case. You can tear the posterior labrum but the most common area is where the long head of the biceps tendon connects to the labrum. This is about 1 o'clock on a dial if you picture a clock bieng on the shoulder. It's referred to as a SLAP lesion which stands for Superior Labrum Anterior to Posterior.

Thanks for clarification and as you can guess mine was not a SLAP tear. Wasn't sure if the pain manifested itself in a difference place as well.

I speak for everyone when I say I really enjoy having you around here :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Danks said the soreness is just limited to the back of his left shoulder, where he once felt it in his arm.

This is an infraspinatus tendonitis. It's the posterior part of the rotator cuff. Hopefully the rest, meds and rehab will sovle it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1987379.story

Danks' big weekend: John Danks is scheduled to throw bullpen sessions Friday and Sunday to determine if he's ready to be activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Danks said his left shoulder felt fine after throwing from distances up to 120 feet Wednesday.

"We're making progress," said Danks, who hasn't pitched since May 19. "It's looking all right. It's not 100 percent, but it's a million times better than what it was."

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Quintana to start Wednesday for White Sox. Danks remains on DL, according to Sox's game notes.

The right move. And I want another look at Q, anyway.