You're KW, what next?

caulfield12

There aren't very many areas you could say that we need a definite improvement right now.

Of course, David Wright would be nice, but at what expense? Hudson might end up doing an adequate job, and there's reason to believe that Morel could also return to being a productive player after all of his health care problems (gluten-free diet, weight loss, back problems) are behind him.

In the everyday line-up, the main holes (after Hudson) right now are Beckham and Ramirez, and regardless of our offense, both are very solid defenders. Beckham has been hitting much better the last 2-3 weeks, and Ramirez has been hitting in awfully bad luck, with lots of line drives recently and not much to show for it. Messing up our stellar middle infield defense and DP combination seems to be a no-go from the start.

The pitching has been shaky after Sale and Peavy (the two blown leads against DET and CLE notwithstanding), with Danks suffering from diminished velocity and clearly not 100% for most of the season, and Floyd and Humber on the consistent path of inconsistency. That said, all things considered, it's a rotation that is capable of winning the division and carrying the team for stretches, just as our offense has carried us in recent days.

Trading Gavin Floyd would force Axelrod, Stewart, Quintana, Hernandez, Doyle, Castro or Hernandez into the starting rotation for 40-60% of the season, and while the evidence suggests one of those young guys COULD potentially replicate Gavin's numbers, can you take that risk NOW for the cost/salary savings and to get prospects back for 2013 and beyond? It doesn't seem to be KW's way.

Second, we could trade Thornton and/or Crain with the emergence of Reed, Jones and Santiago to fortify the bullpen, but that would lead to us missing all veteran leadership and depth. You have to expect Jones will go through a down period, and we already let Frasor go, so trading Crain seems less likely.

Dealing Matt Thornton might make the most sense, with Santiago, Ohman and now Quintana ready to supply depth there. But, once again, like in the Gavin Floyd case, if you're not getting something amazing back and the payroll level right now isn't killing you (with attendance expected to spike up in the summer), do you pull the trigger?

Other than that, the only two places we could look to improve are replacing Fukudome and especially Escobar. If it comes down to it, we could bring up Danks, McPherson or Dan Johnson, but hopefully Kosuke can show some signs of life soon.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty is right about one thing.

We are much better set up to compete this year than any year going forward, because of AJ and Peavy. Alexei isn't getting any younger. Konerko only has one more season under contract.

It almost feels like 2007-2008 all over again, where we were just about to rebuild only to end up re-signing Buehrle/Konerko and keeping the 2005 nucleus around for one more run at it, which somehow got extended by four more years because of Danks/Quentin/Alexei/Ramirez/Viciedo/Beckham/Sale/Rios/Peavy all coming into the organization over a two-year period.

Still feels like we're "stuck" with no clear direction...other than the fact we're not going to cripple this team's chances to compete (because it will be our best shot for 2-3 more years) and we're not going to cripple the future either with any blockbuster deals, like one for David Wright, which will completely decimate what's left of our minor league system.

I wonder right now how many people would be in favor of, at this point, to dump the Dunn and Rios contracts for a bag of baseballs to any team willing to take them on. What do you think the polling would show for this?

My guess is only 50% would say do it MAX at this moment, today, whereas at spring training that number would probably be 90%+

I was going to do a poll but skipped it.

I think Dunn, it would be 25-35% for trading him now, Rios 65-80%.

But we still couldn't get out from under the entire Rios deal...and Mitchell's the only outfielder that theoretially could replace him, and not until mid 2013 at the earliest, in all likelihood.

And then it's going to take another couple of years for him to establish himself. But yeah, we've been down this road with Alex in early 2010 as well.

So I think it all depends on 1) if we could get something back for Dunn, and 2) how/if we spent that money or invested it into the farm system and development. We don't have anything resembling an impact LH bat in our system.

Rios would be much more easily replaceable, and then you could do lots of different things with his salary. But just for savings, no fan is going to love that if the team doesn't end up in a better position down the road.

But maybe Marty would have been right about trading Alexei this offseason. Of course, who the heck would be playing SS now? I can't imagine Escobar there all season. Or Lillibridge.

Edited by caulfield12

Sox are having a very nice run the last two weeks, but I am still up for trading Peavy while his value is at its peak not matter where the Sox are at in the standings. Got roughed up a little yesterday, but I just think it is a matter of time before he is on the DL again this year for a month. People would be screaming White Flag again, but it really does make sense. Great debate though.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
I wonder right now how many people would be in favor of, at this point, to dump the Dunn and Rios contracts for a bag of baseballs to any team willing to take them on. What do you think the polling would show for this?

My guess is only 50% would say do it MAX at this moment, today, whereas at spring training that number would probably be 90%+

If someone were willing to take the entire contract, I'd dump Dunn and Rios in a heartbeat. If someone takes Peavy, that frees up a ton of cash to help this rebuild on the fly.

At this point, you don't do s***. You just wait. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we have a somewhat secure lead on the division by July.

...it's also possible that we fall completely out of it. It could also be a tight race.

I have to say I'm feeling optimistic since we've started our run before we go play all NL teams -- gives us more credibility.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
If someone were willing to take the entire contract, I'd dump Dunn and Rios in a heartbeat. If someone takes Peavy, that frees up a ton of cash to help this rebuild on the fly.

Rios for sure, but Dunn is pretty much back to being a good contract, no need to just dump him.

I'm with the people that say "do nothing", but if you're going to do something, I trade Thornton, assuming you can get an acceptable major league piece out of it. We're pretty loaded at lefty reliever. They're not all great, but we're overstocked.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Clearly, KW really messed up and didn't trade Viciedo a month ago like Marty knew he should. Now, he has no value.

T?he crazy thing about this Dick is nobody has reviled in his recent success more than me. I hope he proves me wrong all the way to Vlad Guerrero.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Unless attendance goes crazy here in the next two months, there are no moves to be made. Orlando Hudson is your move, unless it is a guy who is in the minors.

Wrong. Short-term money is never an issue with trade deadline moves with this team.

Unless Detroit goes on some kind of incredible run and the Sox go entirely into the tank, it's hard to see the Sox being more than 5 games out of first at the trading deadline. Right now the second best run differential in the division is -3, and between now and July 31 the Sox have 14 games against last place teams (and I'm not even counting Boston, who is in last place but is .500)

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
T?he crazy thing about this Dick is nobody has reviled in his recent success more than me. I hope he proves me wrong all the way to Vlad Guerrero.

I think you mean REVELLED.

Although sometimes you can be reviled when you are deliberately obtuse or obfuscating your true nature here, lol.

I don't think ANYONE expects or predicts Vlad Guerrero. He's a Hall of Fame caliber hitter, and was a true 4 1/2 talent player when he first came up (just a bit short on the speed but an amazing once in a generation arm).

Some amalgam of Vlad, Beltre, C-Lee, Uribe and Bobby Bonilla would be fine by me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Unless attendance goes crazy here in the next two months, there are no moves to be made. Orlando Hudson is your move, unless it is a guy who is in the minors.

What was our attendance spike in 2010 during and after the 26-5 run?

Did that make bringing in Manny Ramirez largely possible, or was the money already there in reserve?

Let's say we jump from 20K to a 22K average over the next 2 months. Is that enough to justify an acquisition that adds significant salary ($7.5 million and above)?