You're KW, what next?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ May 27, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
At this point, you don't do s***. You just wait. It is not out of the realm of possibility that we have a somewhat secure lead on the division by July.

...it's also possible that we fall completely out of it. It could also be a tight race.

I have to say I'm feeling optimistic since we've started our run before we go play all NL teams -- gives us more credibility.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 27, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
Rios for sure, but Dunn is pretty much back to being a good contract, no need to just dump him.

1.) Sounds reasonable to me

2.) If somebody wanted Rios, which they won't, you dump him. We could get by without him if Tank keeps hitting like he is. As far as Dunn, this is why the Sox signed him in the first place. If this is the real Dunn, there's no reason to deal him.

I will say this, it's great to see the White Sox hitters not only pulling the ball for home runs, but most of the hitters had a ton of opposite field hits vs. the Tribe.

IF the Sox hitters could be convinced to keep doing that, this team could keep winning.

Hopefully the team can keep hitting a ton of home runs as well at the Cell.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 27, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
If I am KW, I read this thread and irrationally overreact and attempt to gain full value for every player in the entire organization and then consider pretty much every angle from the Cubs attendance and result to the overall Forbes value of the team. Ready. Set. Go!

So basically you have nothing to add, besides perhaps mocking me indirectly (or directly if you want to credit most with a modicum of intelligence)?

Where did I suggest doing anything? I pointed out the reasons they PROBABLY won't do anything, and you're not going to get as much for Floyd now anyways until when he goes on one of his patented hot streaks.

What players did I suggest trading besides POSSIBLY Thornton, Floyd and Crain? Last time, I checked, I was wholeheartedly against the idea of trading Viciedo. You can search/check the entire history of this board from November of 2008 and you'll never see me saying such a thing.

And improving the worst bench in the major leagues is a bad thing? Not worth discussion or thinking about?

There's nothing interesting at all about the team being in the position they are now when 2 weeks ago NEARLY EVERY SINGLE THREAD talked about this team in terms of the future and rebuilding? Isn't trading those three players and clearing their contracts for younger prospects to come exactly the kind of move a rebuilding team SHOULD make?

At a certain point, you don't think KW's starting to believe this team, as CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED with a few additions, could actually WIN NOW?

Wasn't the whole theme of the entire offseason constructing a team for 2013, 2014 and beyond? Doesn't the attendance certain reflect that belief in the fanbase?

You truly believe what the Cubs are doing (positively and negatively) has absolutely no effect on the White Sox? What about KW's quotes once upon a time about making this a "White Sox town?" Just bold talk? The Cubs are going to finish with the worst or second worst record in the major leagues, and nobody's viewing this now (2012) as a golden opportunity?

You really believe the White Sox are so cash poor they have no money to make an acquisition?

If the cost/benefit of trading Gavin Floyd for a prospect and opening up that spot in the rotation for one of our young starters is such a clear decision, I bet you'd have nearly universal approval for it. But I would imagine if it was put to a poll, no more than 50% of the board would be for this move (despite three pretty much disastrous starts in a row), because they know what pieces in our minor league system we'd use to replace him, let's say Dylan Axelrod. That's not an issue worthy of debate and consideration?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2012 -> 12:25 AM)
So basically you have nothing to add, besides perhaps mocking me indirectly (or directly if you want to credit most with a modicum of intelligence)?

Where did I suggest doing anything? I pointed out the reasons they PROBABLY won't do anything, and you're not going to get as much for Floyd now anyways until when he goes on one of his patented hot streaks.

What players did I suggest trading besides POSSIBLY Thornton, Floyd and Crain? Last time, I checked, I was wholeheartedly against the idea of trading Viciedo. You can search/check the entire history of this board from November of 2008 and you'll never see me saying such a thing.

And improving the worst bench in the major leagues is a bad thing? Not worth discussion or thinking about?

There's nothing interesting at all about the team being in the position they are now when 2 weeks ago NEARLY EVERY SINGLE THREAD talked about this team in terms of the future and rebuilding? Isn't trading those three players and clearing their contracts for younger prospects to come exactly the kind of move a rebuilding team SHOULD make?

At a certain point, you don't think KW's starting to believe this team, as CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED with a few additions, could actually WIN NOW?

Wasn't the whole theme of the entire offseason constructing a team for 2013, 2014 and beyond? Doesn't the attendance certain reflect that belief in the fanbase?

You truly believe what the Cubs are doing (positively and negatively) has absolutely no effect on the White Sox? What about KW's quotes once upon a time about making this a "White Sox town?" Just bold talk? The Cubs are going to finish with the worst or second worst record in the major leagues, and nobody's viewing this now (2012) as a golden opportunity?

You really believe the White Sox are so cash poor they have no money to make an acquisition?

If the cost/benefit of trading Gavin Floyd for a prospect and opening up that spot in the rotation for one of our young starters is such a clear decision, I bet you'd have nearly universal approval for it. But I would imagine if it was put to a poll, no more than 50% of the board would be for this move (despite three pretty much disastrous starts in a row), because they know what pieces in our minor league system we'd use to replace him, let's say Dylan Axelrod. That's not an issue worthy of debate and consideration?

Good post.

The bottom line is some people are always wanting to trade anybody having a good year for prospects. It's human nature that the players on the team you love aren't as sexy as prospects or guys on other teams.

The truth of the matter is the White Sox have the type of team that could win and win big now IF SEVERAL oF THE EVERYDAY PLAYERS have career years. Right now that is happening and the bullpen figures to remain improved if Reed and Nate Jones remain great and if Crain excels and Thornton is serviceable. Also if the starting rotation is good. It doesn't have to be great, just good.

It's time to enjoy it for now and wait and see.

If some team wants Rios or Floyd or Thornton, yes it would be worth exploring trading them, maybe even Beckham, but that's about it right now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)

I love when you get all flustered and make an argument and decide my own counterargument within your argument and mention a lot of different players and situations and problems and stuff and things and just keep typing.

Seriously Caulfield, you are acting like the guy on the street with a "The World is Ending!" Sign. Of course at some point it will end. Doesn't mean I have to stop enjoying what's going on to freak out about everything.

So we should have a board-wide moratorium on any trade conjecture or any consideration of whether this team will be able to compete or not until roughly the middle of July?

That would wipe out about half of SoxTalk, except Balta in the Trayvon Martin thread, "can you be a good Samaritan without believing in God?" and appropriate tipping habits from various perspectives.

By definition, aren't those who now think this team is miraculously competitive or is built to win in 2012 overreacting?

Or are those who are holding out for the rebuild and waiting for the inevitable cold streak again being negative "dark clouds" flying in the face of Mr. Saint's relentless gauntlet throwdown/wrestling challenge that the White Sox are actually a dynasty evolving into reality as we speak?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2012 -> 07:49 PM)
So we should have a board-wide moratorium on any trade conjecture or any consideration of whether this team will be able to compete or not until roughly the middle of July?

That would wipe out about half of SoxTalk, except Balta in the Trayvon Martin thread, "can you be a good Samaritan without believing in God?" and appropriate tipping habits from various perspectives.

By definition, aren't those who now think this team is miraculously competitive or is built to win in 2012 overreacting?

Or are those who are holding out for the rebuild and waiting for the inevitable cold streak again being negative "dark clouds" flying in the face of Mr. Saint's relentless gauntlet throwdown/wrestling challenge that the White Sox are actually a dynasty evolving into reality as we speak?

At any point did I threaten to or attempt to restrict your right to discuss anything? No? Ok then, stop crying freedom of speech restrictions and continue on with your long windedness.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)

Caulfield. I might be one of the few who doesn't mind your "longwindedness" . I don't mind at all reading well thought out posts like yours that cover many angles. Just because it's a message board doesn't mean every post has to be a witty sound byte type post. I applaud your intellect however... you are not above mocking people. I have seen you do it to greg many times with your lie detector comments.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Caulfield. I might be one of the few who doesn't mind your "longwindedness" . I don't mind at all reading well thought out posts like yours that cover many angles. Just because it's a message board doesn't mean every post has to be a witty sound byte type post. I applaud your intellect however... you are not above mocking people. I have seen you do it to greg many times with your lie detector comments.

Yeah, I guess quite a few piled on with the "remember the U.S.S. Paul Konerko" comments, lol.

Maybe it's because I actually believe Greg posts sometimes simply to be a contrarian, especially about all things Ozzie/Cowley/Wise/Pierre/Pods/Harrelson/Jenks/any member of the 2005 WS team.

And maybe I felt differently about it because it came from a mod and not Dick Allen or Marty, too.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
Yeah, I guess quite a few piled on with the "remember the U.S.S. Paul Konerko" comments, lol.

Maybe it's because I actually believe Greg posts sometimes simply to be a contrarian, especially about all things Ozzie/Cowley/Wise/Pierre/Pods/Harrelson/Jenks/any member of the 2005 WS team.

And maybe I felt differently about it because it came from a mod and not Dick Allen or Marty, too.

I post as a member, if I have to police as an admin I do so.

Caulfield I don't think anyone on this board has ever doubted that you are intelligent, but sometimes your posts are so long and rambling with so many different points and counterpoints that there is no way to respond.

I wasn't kidding before, you will say "I could argue XXXXX but we all know kyyle23/marty/DA/ss2k5 will respond with YYYYY". You don't even give any of us a chance to respond and argue your point, you do it for us within your own post. I'm sorry, but that is annoying to me. I am not above writing a long meticulate post to respond to something you say, but only if you allow me to do so.

As for what I said about this post subject, you are looking for the floor to drop out on this team while they are currently enjoying their best baseball under Ventura. You are asking me to assign blame for Molina yet the kid has been in the organization for less than a year. How about we enjoy it a little bit?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
I post as a member, if I have to police as an admin I do so.

Caulfield I don't think anyone on this board has ever doubted that you are intelligent, but sometimes your posts are so long and rambling with so many different points and counterpoints that there is no way to respond.

I wasn't kidding before, you will say "I could argue XXXXX but we all know kyyle23/marty/DA/ss2k5 will respond with YYYYY". You don't even give any of us a chance to respond and argue your point, you do it for us within your own post. I'm sorry, but that is annoying to me. I am not above writing a long meticulate post to respond to something you say, but only if you allow me to do so.

As for what I said about this post subject, you are looking for the floor to drop out on this team while they are currently enjoying their best baseball under Ventura. You are asking me to assign blame for Molina yet the kid has been in the organization for less than a year. How about we enjoy it a little bit?

The last 10 days have been about the most fun I've ever had watching the White Sox.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
The last 10 days have been about the most fun I've ever had watching the White Sox.

I feel like Hawk is having that much fun as well. It's nice to see.

Let's get the pitching in order here, because I doubt the 10 run outbursts are going to happen in this Rays series.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
2005 and it ain't close. Even regular season games.

Well yeah, of course for an entire season. However, for a stretch of games, this is up there with the 2006 run when the Sox killed the Cardinals, the grand slams vs Astros, etc. I think the reason I enjoy now so much is cause it all seemingly started with the Konerko HBP, and that the two young guys in Beckham and Viciedo have played an important role in beating 3 of our 4 biggest rivals.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 28, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Well yeah, of course for an entire season. However, for a stretch of games, this is up there with the 2006 run when the Sox killed the Cardinals, the grand slams vs Astros, etc. I think the reason I enjoy now so much is cause it all seemingly started with the Konerko HBP, and that the two young guys in Beckham and Viciedo have played an important role in beating 3 of our 4 biggest rivals.

If I just exclude any part of 05...then my favorite "10 or so game stretch" is the Yankees/Indians/Yankees/Indians beatdown from 2000.

We'd have to way overpay for Wright. We can get by with an average 3rd baseman, and hopefully we've found one.

Williams should stay the course - we're best served by putting organization resources into developing young pitching (because that's where we're thin, and that's what you can't find on the scrap heap).

I do think he should look for someone on the scrap heap to replace Fukudome.

The problem is that trading Ramirez right now is that his defense has been so important (missing the tag on Zobrist notwithstanding just now) and he's been showing signs of life offensively as well.

We all know by now the Cubans hit much better in the summer heat.

And we're not going to get a major league ready SS back, so that would force Escobar/Lillibridge into the line-up.

Perhaps, down the line, Saladino can stick there, but he's at least 1 1/2 seasons away from being ready (August/Sept, 2013), and that's being pretty optimistic.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 28, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
The problem is that trading Ramirez right now is that his defense has been so important (missing the tag on Zobrist notwithstanding just now) and he's been showing signs of life offensively as well.

We all know by now the Cubans hit much better in the summer heat.

And we're not going to get a major league ready SS back, so that would force Escobar/Lillibridge into the line-up.

Perhaps, down the line, Saladino can stick there, but he's at least 1 1/2 seasons away from being ready (August/Sept, 2013), and that's being pretty optimistic.

I realize Alexei has great defense. People forget he is already 30. Not much of an upside left, it's time to start thinking of a replacement. If not now, then next year.

QUOTE (McDude @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
I realize Alexei has great defense. People forget he is already 30. Not much of an upside left, it's time to start thinking of a replacement. If not now, then next year.

Why? He's under contract, affordably, for a number of years. If we happen to already have his replacement in the system in Saladino, then there's a better chance his replacement would be traded than there is that Alexei would actually be replaced.

QUOTE (McDude @ May 28, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)

Going by that logic, we would have let Konerko go six years ago.

Alexei's a thin guy, it's not like you're worried about weight issues with him as his career goes on. He's shown no signs of a fall-off defensively, and he's been hitting a lot more line drives right at people...he's definitely pulling his weight offensively the last 2-3 weeks or so.