You're KW, what next?

caulfield12

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am ionclined to say we do nothing at this point. To start looking at trading for a player means giving up one of our guys presently on the roster. You get one peice and subtract somewhere esle - most likely a starting pitcher. Later you might see some other teams putting guys on waivers, etc, but let them show their cards first. We are dealing from 1st place and strength.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 29, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
1 playoff appearance in 6 years, Kenny. Fix that instead of commenting on attendance.

Kenny does not want that brought up that is why he uses the annual attendance crutch.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3869392.story

If they want people to buy tickets, maybe jacking up prices so much to feed the Dynamic Pricing model should be abandoned.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 29, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
Look at the prices for this Saturday's game against the world beater Seattle Marinerss. If a family of 4 wants to go to the game, its over $200 to sit in the bleachers. Its $160 to sit in the upper deck. Its ridiculous. Its almost as if they don't want to sell tickets. Its $90+ wilth fees per ticket for a premium lower deck box. Then you add gas, parking, food...............There will be 10,000 empty seats and they wonder why.

Amen Dick Allen.

The economy sucks still and those prices are outrageous. It's just too much money to go more than a time or two all season. Who wants to sit in the upper deck anyway?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)
Amen Dick Allen.

The economy sucks still and those prices are outrageous. It's just too much money to go more than a time or two all season. Who wants to sit in the upper deck anyway?

I do. I think that the 1st 5 or 6 rows of the upper deck are the best seats in the house.

I was thinking of possible 3rd base options and considered Aramis Ramirez since the Brewers are not really contending this season. After looking at his contract, NEVERMIND

I'd LOVE Chase Headley, although it would likely cost Mitchell and a pitching prospect.

If you look at the guy's lines away from San Diego, you realize that he might be one of the top 10 3Bs in the game.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
I'd LOVE Chase Headley, although it would likely cost Mitchell and a pitching prospect.

If you look at the guy's lines away from San Diego, you realize that he might be one of the top 10 3Bs in the game.

Chase Headley would be a huge upgrade at 3b. But SD has him under control until 2014 so they really no have urgency to deal him. We would really have to offer a quality package and that is something we can't offer this season. We need to add to the farm, not take away the little talent we have down there. We are stuck with O-Dawg and Brent (I can't hit anything) Morel. Hopefully he learns to swing the bat down in the farm.

Edited by GreatScott82

New answer: Something.

The team won 9 straight to get back into the race, Kenny can't allow them to scuffle and not be in it after this. I refuse to believe his ego will allow him to just sit back and just HOPE they get hot again...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
New answer: Something.

The team won 9 straight to get back into the race, Kenny can't allow them to scuffle and not be in it after this. I refuse to believe his ego will allow him to just sit back and just HOPE they get hot again...

Ego? It will be lack of cash that stops them from adding.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
Ego? It will be lack of cash that stops them from adding.

They'll do something, but I think it will be lack of trading chips that will not allow them to address the starting pitching problem adequately enough.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
They'll do something, but I think it will be lack of trading chips that will not allow them to address the starting pitching problem adequately enough.

I am rethinking this. if we were only to get one player, I would say get another starter. Only Sale and Peavy and Quintana are pitching well. and Q might go back to minors. And I don't know how many innings you are going to get out of Sale or Peavy. Rotation could get very thin by End of August if not earlier.

Get a trusted starter and try Humber at long relief. Use Q as your insurance starter.Hope Danks and Floyd pitch closer to their career averages.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:01 PM)
I am rethinking this. if we were only to get one player, I would say get another starter. Only Sale and Peavy and Quintana are pitching well. and Q might go back to minors. And I don't know how many innings you are going to get out of Sale or Peavy. Rotation could get very thin by End of August if not earlier.

Get a trusted starter and try Humber at long relief. Use Q as your insurance starter.Hope Danks and Floyd pitch closer to their career averages.

I agree that a starting pitcher is the biggest need. Anyone interested in an Edison Volquez? How much would that cost?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
I agree that a starting pitcher is the biggest need. Anyone interested in an Edison Volquez? How much would that cost?

2 years before free agency, guy who is moderately cheap, not putting up stellar numbers but good enough, the Padres have little reason why they're forced to move him unless they get something valuable back in return. You might, might be able to do that by giving up 3 or 4 pieces from our minor leagues, headlined by Mitchell and a couple pitchers. I could see Mitchell + Santiago + Quintana being the basis of something that would work for the Padres.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
2 years before free agency, guy who is moderately cheap, not putting up stellar numbers but good enough, the Padres have little reason why they're forced to move him unless they get something valuable back in return. You might, might be able to do that by giving up 3 or 4 pieces from our minor leagues, headlined by Mitchell and a couple pitchers. I could see Mitchell + Santiago + Quintana being the basis of something that would work for the Padres.

So let me get this straight. Volquez was basically the 3rd or 4th piece in the Latos trade, yet now he's worth our top prospect, a young starter who has done fairly well in limited major league innings, and a left-handed major leage reliever with lots of upside that might have the stuff to become a starter down the road. All this for an average at-best starting pitcher who has significant injury concerns. I'm sorry but I think you are blowing this guys' value to the Padres out of the water.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
So let me get this straight. Volquez was basically the 3rd or 4th piece in the Latos trade, yet now he's worth our top prospect, a young starter who has done fairly well in limited major league innings, and a left-handed major leage reliever with lots of upside that might have the stuff to become a starter down the road. All this for an average at-best starting pitcher who has significant injury concerns. I'm sorry but I think you are blowing this guys' value to the Padres out of the water.

Just because the Reds gave up a fortune for Latos doesn't mean the Padres will be happy to help us out. And "Our top prospect" doesn't mean that much in this system. And "Young starter who has done fairly well in limited major league innings" = "Guy who was picked up off the scrap heap last offseason". Left Handed Major League Reliever = guy with an ERA of 5, WHIP of 1.6, who already lost the closer's job. Guys who have use to us don't necessarily have a ton of value on the trade market sometimes, because the other team has to have a "Cooper who can fix them".

The Padres can hold out for a team to overpay for Volquez.

If the player was performing better than Volquez currently is, then you would start talking about Addison as the main piece.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 02:32 PM)
Just because the Reds gave up a fortune for Latos doesn't mean the Padres will be happy to help us out. And "Our top prospect" doesn't mean that much in this system. And "Young starter who has done fairly well in limited major league innings" = "Guy who was picked up off the scrap heap last offseason". Left Handed Major League Reliever = guy with an ERA of 5, WHIP of 1.6, who already lost the closer's job. Guys who have use to us don't necessarily have a ton of value on the trade market sometimes, because the other team has to have a "Cooper who can fix them".

If the player was performing better than Volquez currently is, then you would start talking about Addison as the main piece.

Volquez has a 1.4 WHIP. His ERA is only respectable because of Petco. Also, he's only cheap because he's coming off an injury-plaqued season. If he can stay healthy then he'll earn a significant raise and will them be a free agent after next season. Why is an one extra year for a lot of money so valuable?

As for Santaigo, he's a god damn rookie. Teams don't use the first third of a rookie's first season as gospel. They are going to scout him and see a young, left-handed pitcher with the stuff to be a dominant reliever and possibly a starter. That's incredibly valuable, despite his rookie struggles.

And I don't care if Quintana was picked off the scrap heap. If a team thinks he can be a major league starter, then he'll have value. Cheap, cost-controlled left-handed aren't easy to come by.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)

Yeah, you're on crack, Balta.

He's not bringing a Jared Mitchell.

This guy has no place in their future and while he does have some value, I think you're exaggerating the hell out of that value.