You're KW, what next?

caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
We just need a decent SP at this point. I doubt KW goes after David Wright, who is the obvious answer on offense.

I'm sure KW will inquire about him, and I'm sure the price will start at either Viciedo or Reed.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
We do have one trading piece. BL. Yes, remember who kw said was the White Sox player most asked about in the winter meetings. it was BL.

I know that he isn't doing much this year. however, guillen played him more often partly bc AD and AR were struggling last season. A lot of NL teams would love to have a guy like BL who can play a lot of positions. he even could start more on a lot of teams.

I could see Beane drooling over a player like BL.

These abbreviations took me a few minutes to figure out. It's like a crossword puzzle with your posts lately.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
These abbreviations took me a few minutes to figure out. It's like a crossword puzzle with your posts lately.

Ya, those abbreviations have to go.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
If Reed is the centerpiece they ask for in a Wright deal then I think you definitely go for it.

And if Viciedo is the centerpiece, KW should say no thanks and hang up the phone.

Please - no legitimate prospects for mediocre pitchers.

Honestly, considering Williams' trade record ( no good ones in 4 years), not trading is the best policy.

We got a AAAA pitcher and a mediocre middle reliever for Edwin Jackson. That's what we should give up (and Edwin Jackson is better than mediocre). But Williams always pays top dollar in trades.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
And if Viciedo is the centerpiece, KW should say no thanks and hang up the phone.

What do you expect them to ask for?

If you were a Mets fan, would you want a freaking reliever to be the centerpiece in a deal to trade away the face of your franchise?

The Mets tried to negotiate a new deal with Wright, most likely to get a feel for how much he was willing to stay...he told them he wasn't going to negotiate with them in the middle of the season.

What will probably happen is the Mets will approach him and say "Look, we're getting all kinds of offers for you here. We need to know what your commitment is to this franchise. What are your parameters for a new deal?"

He'll either then give them something they like, and they will consider keeping him, or he will give them something they don't, and they'll look to move him.

Either way, with the departure of Jose Reyes last year, they fanbase is going to want to see quite a haul for him if they move him.

I don't see the Wright situation being anywhere close to the Greinke situation. The Mets are probably going to require something like Dayan AND Reed or Jones, and then want other high upside low-ball players to go along with them.

Even if we could pay the salary, I'm just not sure that is in the cards.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
It would be a minor replacement, but demote Stewart to AAA and bring up either Doyle or Axelrod.

Live with Hudson at 3b until the end of June and see what you have from there.

Humber/Floyd ??? Don't even know. If Humber doesn't have any options, move him to the pen until he gets his act together.

Floyd, IMHO, is still trade bait.

No thank you to the bolded, I still think both can be a starter in the near future, dont waste them as a long reliever.

Whats Phegley been doing recently?? I know he was tearing it up this year early on in the season..Does he have any trade value?? Or would you trust him as a backup and deal Flowers??

The Pirates are in the thick of things and look like they could use a catcher and a lefty set up guy. What about Thornton/Gavin/Phegley (or flowers if needed) for Bedard/specs??

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
What do you expect them to ask for?

If you were a Mets fan, would you want a freaking reliever to be the centerpiece in a deal to trade away the face of your franchise?

The Mets tried to negotiate a new deal with Wright, most likely to get a feel for how much he was willing to stay...he told them he wasn't going to negotiate with them in the middle of the season.

What will probably happen is the Mets will approach him and say "Look, we're getting all kinds of offers for you here. We need to know what your commitment is to this franchise. What are your parameters for a new deal?"

He'll either then give them something they like, and they will consider keeping him, or he will give them something they don't, and they'll look to move him.

Either way, with the departure of Jose Reyes last year, they fanbase is going to want to see quite a haul for him if they move him.

I don't see the Wright situation being anywhere close to the Greinke situation. The Mets are probably going to require something like Dayan AND Reed or Jones, and then want other high upside low-ball players to go along with them.

Even if we could pay the salary, I'm just not sure that is in the cards.

All I was saying was that if they ask for Viciedo, KW should just stop right there. You're right that the Mets (or any team with a valuable piece to trade) will probably ask for him. But he's not a prospect anymore. In my opinion, it would be insane to trade the guy. He's a big part of the future of this club.

Then I read that Mitchell has no trade value. Well, let's see, he's a FRDC, he gets injured, finally recovers, and is having a positive season in AA. Yes has weaknesses, like all prospects....but no value.

Funny, we give a closer for a stunted prospect. We give TCQ for a stunted prospect. We hope both prospects develop, but neither are top tier, yet we gave a legitimate major leaguer for each. But our prospects have no value, and should be dumped for mediocrities with 1.4 WHIPS. Right.

I will also point out that Rios' deal ends after 2013, about the time Mitchell should be ready (if he ever is). WE need him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
Then I read that Mitchell has no trade value. Well, let's see, he's a FRDC, he gets injured, finally recovers, and is having a positive season in AA. Yes has weaknesses, like all prospects....but no value.

Funny, we give a closer for a stunted prospect. We give TCQ for a stunted prospect. We hope both prospects develop, but neither are top tier, yet we gave a legitimate major leaguer for each. But our prospects have no value, and should be dumped for mediocrities with 1.4 WHIPS. Right.

I will also point out that Rios' deal ends after 2013, about the time Mitchell should be ready (if he ever is). WE need him.

Edwin Jackson had a WHIP of 1.49 when we traded for him, and a major league ready starter (plus another starter) is what I'd call a hell of a lot more valuable than Mitchell at this place and time.

If you hold Mitchell and he's tearing up AAA next year, then he's going to be a legit trade piece if that's how we want to use him. But let's be clear, he's basically our only trade piece with any legit value other than what is sitting at the major league level.

And Rios's contract ends after the 2014 season, not 2013 (with a 2015 option/$1 M buyout).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--j...free-agent.html

Free agents available...status update/rankings:

Greinke

Brandon McCarthy

Shawn Marcum (probably doesn't have good enough stuff to survive USCF in summer)

RA Dickey (unlikely to be avail)

Jorge DeLaRosa (more typical Cooper possibility) expensive enough that he wouldn't cost nearly as much, also with an option for 2013, similar to Gavin

Scott Baker they traded Delmon Young to the Tiggers last year, but isn't he yet another version of Gavin? perhaps Cooper has identified some of his flaws from watching him so frequently

Francisco Liriano...wild card

3B

Youkilis

Mark Reynolds (if Orioles fade, but not a good pairing with Dunn in same line-up)

Polanco (is he done already?, won't cost much but not sure that he's an upgrade, familiar with AL Central from time with Tiggers)

Eric Chavez (probably couldn't handle everyday duty)

Stephen Drew OR Yuniesky Betancourt if they felt either one could adapt quickly to play 3B

Catchers

Napoli (too expensive and risky, will want 4 year deal, probably will at least try to get Napoli Lite out of Flowers first)

Doumit

Iannetta

Nothing much to get excited about, Doumit might be the most likely option if AJ's gone and they're not confident in Flowers/Phegley to handle the position. Iannetta's not worth $5 million +, might as well go with the youngsters.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees--j...free-agent.html

Free agents available...status update/rankings:

Greinke

Brandon McCarthy

Shawn Marcum (probably doesn't have good enough stuff to survive USCF in summer)

RA Dickey (unlikely to be avail)

Jorge DeLaRosa (more typical Cooper possibility) expensive enough that he wouldn't cost nearly as much, also with an option for 2013, similar to Gavin

Scott Baker they traded Delmon Young to the Tiggers last year, but isn't he yet another version of Gavin? perhaps Cooper has identified some of his flaws from watching him so frequently

Francisco Liriano...wild card

3B

Youkilis

Mark Reynolds (if Orioles fade, but not a good pairing with Dunn in same line-up)

Polanco (is he done already?, won't cost much but not sure that he's an upgrade, familiar with AL Central from time with Tiggers)

Eric Chavez (probably couldn't handle everyday duty)

Stephen Drew OR Yuniesky Betancourt if they felt either one could adapt quickly to play 3B

Catchers

Napoli (too expensive and risky, will want 4 year deal, probably will at least try to get Napoli Lite out of Flowers first)

Doumit

Iannetta

Nothing much to get excited about, Doumit might be the most likely option if AJ's gone and they're not confident in Flowers/Phegley to handle the position. Iannetta's not worth $5 million +, might as well go with the youngsters.

Marcum certainly has the stuff...whether he can put it together or not is another question.

I'd have to think Terry Ryan would need to be s***face plastered in order to trade us Liriano...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
Marcum certainly has the stuff...whether he can put it together or not is another question.

I'd have to think Terry Ryan would need to be s***face plastered in order to trade us Liriano...

A month ago, we probably could have taken him for just the salary relief.

Now, not so much again, but it's a little like Edwin Jackson or Gavin, except 5X more volative in terms of results and predictability.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)

Conversely, i think Kenny Williams would need to be s***face plastered in order to trade for Baker

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)

It'd save them a million or two and they'd get something back for him rather than having him become a FA. I get the emotional side, but if the Sox offered him a legit minor league piece, wouldn't he pretty much have to?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
It'd save them a million or two and they'd get something back for him rather than having him become a FA. I get the emotional side, but if the Sox offered him a legit minor league piece, wouldn't he pretty much have to?

No. There would be other suitors for Liriano...I am pretty convinced there would be three teams just in our division that would be interested...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Conversely, i think Kenny Williams would need to be s***face plastered in order to trade for Baker

I think swapping Floyd for DeLaRosa wouldn't be horrible, except for the fact we should wait for Gavin to go on his run for 2 months and see if we can get something even better. Kind of a change of scenery move, two pitchers with great stuff but suspect mental games.

Marcum's much more doable than Greinke, but what are we willing to give up to get him?

If his average fastball's only been 86-88 MPH this season, that would be a bit of red flag...but I haven't seen him pitch this year to make any type of comment on the movement or his K/9 rate.

Can you imagine Sale, "The Franchise" Liriano and "good" Danks together in one rotation?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:07 AM)
I think swapping Floyd for DeLaRosa wouldn't be horrible, except for the fact we should wait for Gavin to go on his run for 2 months and see if we can get something even better. Kind of a change of scenery move, two pitchers with great stuff but suspect mental games.

Marcum's much more doable than Greinke, but what are we willing to give up to get him?

If his average fastball's only been 86-88 MPH this season, that would be a bit of red flag...but I haven't seen him pitch this year to make any type of comment on the movement or his K/9 rate.

Can you imagine Sale, "The Franchise" Liriano and "good" Danks together in one rotation?

Man the Brewers gave up Brett Lawrie for Marcum. Bad.

Marty - I never got back to jump back into the party on the attendance thing and KW's role...

So, I said a GM should have part of the brunt of putting asses in the seats. I mean yea, there's the marketing side, but isn't a GENERAL MANAGER responsible for the product that is the Chicago White Sox?

Who does Boyer report to?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, I'm genuinely curious about how this works, and more then that, how should it work?

So carry on... :)