Jeff "Mickey" DA MANto is freaking amazing

sunofgold

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 27, 2012 -> 04:34 PM)
I like Manto....but I'm not sure he's freaking amazing. I just think we're seeing how bad our previous hitting coach was and why he should have been fired 3 years ago.

Yet the other thing hitting coach is coaching a team without a DH that has outscored the Sox.

Everybody this year is hitting better than last year or is starting to move in that direction. Except for Morel who was playing hurt. Da DA, AdamBomb, PK, zynski, rios. viciedo is on fire. and Beckham and the missile look like they are turning things around. Even ODA looking good at the dish. thank you hitting coach.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ May 27, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Everybody this year is hitting better than last year or is starting to move in that direction. Except for Morel who was playing hurt. Da DA, AdamBomb, PK, zynski, rios. viciedo is on fire. and Beckham and the missile look like they are turning things around. Even ODA looking good at the dish. thank you hitting coach.

Who the f*** is ODA?

This thread is the perfect example of bad logic: looking at an outcome, and assuming you know its root causes.

What if I say Manto is failing horribly with Alexei? What if I say Greg Walker was a genius with De Aza last year, causing him to be more impressive than he ever was in the minors?

It'd be using the same faulty logic as this thread is using.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Since we had a teamwide terrible approach last year along with equally terrible results from otherwise good hitters and we blamed that on the hitting coach (seems warranted), I will go ahead and attribute the squad's excellent approach, results, and upward trajectory with mostly the same players warrants praise for the new hitting coach/coaching staff.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 27, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
This thread is the perfect example of bad logic: looking at an outcome, and assuming you know its root causes.

What if I say Manto is failing horribly with Alexei? What if I say Greg Walker was a genius with De Aza last year, causing him to be more impressive than he ever was in the minors?

It'd be using the same faulty logic as this thread is using.

True.

Save this thread for when the Sox hitters start going bad. As of today, Manto deserves all the credit he's getting, just as he won't deserve the full blame for when the hitters suck.

The best thing right now is a lot of hitters are following Paulie's example and spraying it all over and pulling the ball for home runs when the pitcher comes inside.

How do we know they are not merely following Paulie's lead more than Manto's?

Regardless Manto deserves credit right now cause all that matters are results.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)

Paul Konerko was here and just as professional of a hitter last year. The only things that changed are a new hitting coach and a new manager.

If Ozzie Guillen was still the manager, they'd be in full "lift and pull" mode.

Actually, the Indians' announcers noticed this right away.

Said the White Sox were making a concerted effort to take outside pitches and go with them and didn't fall away from that plan throughout the entire series. That they looked like they approached the plate with a plan, from a line-up wide perspective, almost to the point where they seemed to know what pitches were coming when and exactly what to do with them. Were actually quite impressed we didn't fall into our usual bad habits...that the most consistent thing with our approach was taking almost every pitch back up the middle or hitting it back from where it was pitched.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 12:33 AM)
Paul Konerko was here and just as professional of a hitter last year. The only things that changed are a new hitting coach and a new manager.

People that are giving Manto credit should be ready to support him when the bats go dead.

Royals fans who sang Seitzer's praises last year now want him fired TODAY.

It's one or the other. you are either good or not good.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2012 -> 07:07 PM)
True.

Save this thread for when the Sox hitters start going bad. As of today, Manto deserves all the credit he's getting, just as he won't deserve the full blame for when the hitters suck.

The best thing right now is a lot of hitters are following Paulie's example and spraying it all over and pulling the ball for home runs when the pitcher comes inside.

Regardless Manto deserves credit right now cause all that matters are results.

I don't know that Manto deserves any credit or any blame, ever. He's an advisor.

These players are pros. They make the changes necessary, and adapt, or their careers end.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 27, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
People that are giving Manto credit should be ready to support him when the bats go dead.

Royals fans who sang Seitzer's praises last year now want him fired TODAY.

It's one or the other. you are either good or not good.

They shouldn't have traded Melky Cabrera for Sanchez.

Hosmer's coming around (still has a horrific BABIP), and Gordon's having a down season so far, but Moustakas has actually made significant progress from how bad he looked last season. Butler's evolved into one of the best hitters in the AL, as predicted for many years by Harrelson and many others.

They've also suffered a significant number of injuries, like Lorenzo Cain, for example.

Pitching is more the Royals' main problem, and always has been. Outside of that horrific start, they've played above .500 baseball against good competition, it's just that season has become irrelevant to many because of the bad streak....just like the White Sox suffered early last season to knock them out of competition.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
They shouldn't have traded Melky Cabrera for Sanchez.

Hosmer's coming around (still has a horrific BABIP), and Gordon's having a down season so far, but Moustakas has actually made significant progress from how bad he looked last season. Butler's evolved into one of the best hitters in the AL, as predicted for many years by Harrelson and many others.

Melky Cabrera's actually leading MLB in hits.

I didn't support Walker whatsoever over the past few years, but he has done a great job in Atlanta it appears. It was just one of those situations where it was obvious we needed a change for the sake of making a change and should've done it years ago.