Jeff "Mickey" DA MANto is freaking amazing

sunofgold

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 28, 2012 -> 01:44 AM)
I don't know that Manto deserves any credit or any blame, ever. He's an advisor.

These players are pros. They make the changes necessary, and adapt, or their careers end.

Great post. You should post more often IMO.

Actually the last 5-6 posts on this thread have met my approval (kidding). They've been excellent.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (sunofgold @ May 27, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
I think 93 runs over the last 13 games. If you cannot credit the hitting coach during a streak like this, you will never ever praise a hitting coach. Lol.

We would be better off next year with a robotic hitting coach, video and computer simulations.

Then we can answer the question once and for all about the value of a human hitting coach.

Even in Atlanta, Walker has an assistant hitting coach in Scott "Scooter" Fletcher who's spending as much time, if not more, with their young hitters. And apparently their two approaches are very, very different. So can we realistically ascertain which one as actually had the bigger impact?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
We would be better off next year with a robotic hitting coach, video and computer simulations.

Then we can answer the question once and for all about the value of a human hitting coach.

Even in Atlanta, Walker has an assistant hitting coach in Scott "Scooter" Fletcher who's spending as much time, if not more, with their young hitters. And apparently their two approaches are very, very different. So can we realistically ascertain which one as actually had the bigger impact?

Oh no s***?

Good for Scotty.

I don't know how much of an affect the hitting coach has, because I have never been a professional hitter...all I know is there is a paid, full-time position at the MLB level entitled "hitting coach," and one would think part of the job description would include "provide the best possible atmosphere for Major League hitters to succeed."

Manto seems to be doing well so far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)

Did not know this!!!!!

I always liked Scooter and would not be surprised if he was a solid hitting coach.

Baseball is a game of streaks. Some are very odd and seem unreal. There will be a time when this time can't buy a hit. You wonder when age is going to catch up to PK and AJ when they are at bat. Maybe the pitching is getting worse in baseball.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 28, 2012 -> 07:44 AM)
Baseball is a game of streaks. Some are very odd and seem unreal. There will be a time when this time can't buy a hit. You wonder when age is going to catch up to PK and AJ when they are at bat. Maybe the pitching is getting worse in baseball.

I doubt the pitching is getting worse. I don't bother looking up stats but it seems as though some teams have been shut out an awful lot this year so far . I think the Angels and A's the most.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 28, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)

No one who has watched the last 3 years of baseball would say this.

Greg Walker wasn't the devil but this team needed a new voice for a long time. Some time just having something different can make a big difference and it was obvious for years that the Sox needed to go in a different direction, they finally do and holy s*** we're a better offense. Go f***in figure.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Greg Walker wasn't the devil but this team needed a new voice for a long time. Some time just having something different can make a big difference and it was obvious for years that the Sox needed to go in a different direction, they finally do and holy s*** we're a better offense. Go f***in figure.

Easy there sailor

QUOTE (knightni @ May 28, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
wtf is "eventruths"?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ May 27, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
DAng, MANto can fix 'em! Really same hitters as last year. Overall so much better. He can eventruth a .300 hitter into .400 hitter. Bravo, bravo!

It's a very good question, but it sounded impressive, so I put a meme on it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 29, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
I wish people would stop trying to rationalize Rios's results. He's an every other year player, it very obvious. He'll be s*** next year and will be tinkering the entire season.

I really don't buy into this idea, but you can see it on the smaller scale with Prince Fielder. He goes from ~1.000 OPS to ~.850 OPS every other year. Guess what -- it's his .850 year, and his OPS is .850...