Rays vs White Sox 2:10 CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
If you listened to Hawk, he's described Morel as basically being unable to bend over without pain, leading to him just being totally unable to deal with anything on the outside edge of the plate. If he's wincing and unable to square up that pitch, then yeah, he's going to be overly defensive on anything outside, because he couldn't hit it hard with his back and was just forced to protect.

So has he had this back injury all year? He has been doing this since the season started. If so then why on Earth was he not on the DL?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 04:12 PM)
If you listened to Hawk, he's described Morel as basically being unable to bend over without pain, leading to him just being totally unable to deal with anything on the outside edge of the plate. If he's wincing and unable to square up that pitch, then yeah, he's going to be overly defensive on anything outside, because he couldn't hit it hard with his back and was just forced to protect.

I've had that injury and it's no fun. My shin is still numb almost 2 years later.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)

Come on, Balta...he's been struggling this way in every month that doesn't start with an S...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)

I know that pain... Ain't fun

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)

So if you can't hit it why keep swinging at it? He just swung at way too many outside and off the plate and kept missing. You'd think at some point he'd lay off it thus my pitch recognition comment. Have to learn your strengths and weaknesses as a hitter even more so when you're hurting.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
So has he had this back injury all year? He has been doing this since the season started. If so then why on Earth was he not on the DL?

Again according to Hawk, it started bothering him right around the start of the season. Why he didn't wind up getting extra rest or goign on the DL, might have been part the lack of confidence in his backups and part the fact that it wasn't just his back he was dealing with, it was some sort of dietary issue/weight loss as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
Again according to Hawk, it started bothering him right around the start of the season. Why he didn't wind up getting extra rest or goign on the DL, might have been part the lack of confidence in his backups and part the fact that it wasn't just his back he was dealing with, it was some sort of dietary issue/weight loss as well.

I read somewhere that he had it coming into spring training.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
So if you can't hit it why keep swinging at it? He just swung at way too many outside and off the plate and kept missing. You'd think at some point he'd lay off it thus my pitch recognition comment. Have to learn your strengths and weaknesses as a hitter even more so when you're hurting.

If it takes him extra effort to get down on the outside pitch, then he's going to have to commit early on anything outside, and that's going to kill his pitch recognition. Laying off everything outside isn't an option, he'll just strike out looking.

He was never this bad of a strikeout guy at any other point in his career, including last year. I was wondering for 3 weeks why. Then we saw him lining the outside pitch the other way for a game or two after he had that cortisone shot in his back, and it all made sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)

So basically he is screwed

114 pitches.

Last pitch at 96.

Slow grounder to Beckham.

Joyce and Luke Scott looming. Sean Rodriguez hit the game winning homer against Boston yesterday.

That's the TROP DOME record for strikeouts, beats 14 by Pedro Martinez. Pretty good company, considering how many good Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays (Halladay) pitchers have gone there for nearly 20 years.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:18 PM)

The Sox training staff says he'll be fine with an appropriate training, strengthening, and rehab regimen. I'll take their word unless i have a reason not to.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 28, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)

It does make you wonder how they expect it to be totally healed within 2 weeks. Even balta agrees he needs to go on rehab assignment and show he can hit a little before being activated.