Worse team in 2012

southsider2k5

We have seen them both in recent series... Who will be the worst of the two teams by the end of 2012, the Cubs or the Twins?

I think the Cubs are the worse team but the Twins will end up with the worse record, if that makes sense.

Easily the Cubs. The Twins will be pesky again very soon. Morneau and Mauer are back to hitting. They won't win anything this year, but I think they'll win 70ish games and give us trouble later on in the season. I wish we would have played them more earlier in the year.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
For sure the Cubs. That team is just bad. I'm assuming a Rizzo call up in June which could help them, but they are definately rebuilding. Dempster will probably and should be traded to a contender.

I believe I heard that Rizzo won't be called up until the end of July, that's when they get the extra year of arbitration out of him.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 29, 2012 -> 04:11 PM)
I believe I heard that Rizzo won't be called up until the end of July, that's when they get the extra year of arbitration out of him.

I was thinking it was June, but not sure. I thought they had to have less the 85 days of service time or something like that in the year for it to not count towards arbitration. Thinking back to '09 we called up Beckham in early June for the same reason. I could be wrong tho.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 30, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
I was thinking it was June, but not sure. I thought they had to have less the 85 days of service time or something like that in the year for it to not count towards arbitration. Thinking back to '09 we called up Beckham in early June for the same reason. I could be wrong tho.

Heres the complicated rule on that extra arb year. The fact that he was called up last year matters.

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration?

A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 22 percent (increased from 17 percent in previous agreements) in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2012 -> 01:17 PM)
Kaplan and Sullivan both said on CTL the other day that Rizzo will be coming up 3 weeks into June.

I believe that's for their stretch of interleague games in AL parks. Sounds like we will see him at the cell

It's a tough call. The Cubs could have some guys coming up, but they'll also likely trade away anything valuable, plus there is no guarantee their prospects will actually play well right away. Probably between them and the Padres.