White Sox are Shiftless

As we all enjoy the current state of the Sox, I'd like to bring up something I was reminded of playing the Rays and something I have never seen a separate thread on. According to this article MLB ( http://idevmail.americaneagle.com/message....9042&f=HTML ) is employing just about twice as many shifts as last year as more and more info comes into play on where to play different hitters. Sox are in the bottom 5 teams that do not shift as much. The Rays are the top shifting team.We are seeing a defensive revolution in baseball that the Sox aren't yet utilizing.

How helpful do you think shifts are ? Should the Sox look into this more closely ?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
I think what the Rays are doing is revolutionary.

If you look at that team right now, especially w/o Longoria and Jennings for the last three weeks, it is mindblowing that they are able to win at the clip they do.

I realize their pitching is stellar..but the edge they get from being on the cutting edge of data makes a difference.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
If you look at that team right now, especially w/o Longoria and Jennings for the last three weeks, it is mindblowing that they are able to win at the clip they do.

I realize their pitching is stellar..but the edge they get from being on the cutting edge of data makes a difference.

If you have any knowledge of Moneyball you know how resistant the game can be to change. But as the old guard leaves and a more progressive thinkers take over change is coming faster.