Magglio Ordonez to announce retirement

cabiness42

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7983960/...oit-tigers-game

DETROIT -- Magglio Ordonez has decided to call it a career.

The 38-year-old former Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox outfielder plans to announce his retirement Sunday before Detroit plays the New York Yankees.

The six-time All-Star struggled through 92 games last season with a surgically repaired right ankle, hitting a career-low .255 with five homers and 32 RBIs.

Ordonez was a career .309 hitter with 294 home runs and 1,236 RBIs over 15 seasons. He lifted Detroit into the 2006 World Series -- the franchise's first since 1984 -- with a series-winning home run against Oakland.

The native of Venezuela hit .363 the next season, becoming the first Tiger to win the American League batting title since Norm Cash in 1961, and finished second in league MVP voting.

I never got the hatred for Magglio. Sure things got ugly at the end, but a lot more has been forgiven over time in other situations. If he didn't want to be here, I as a fan don't have to hate him for it. I don't want guys who no longer want to be here - I don't believe in imprisoning anyone. Plus, if we're all kind of in agreement that Ozzie wore out his welcome with the organization last year, why is it crazy to consider he and Magglio just wore out their welcome...with each other.

To me, the guy here who hates Ozzie and Magglio at the same time is not being logically consistent.

This is one of the great Sox players of all time...pretty much, and to me the one question mark is whether or not he was clean. Unproven but a valid concern. I think Bernstein confronted KW about this topic on the air and from then on was basically taken completely out of the circle of KW access.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
I never got the hatred for Magglio. Sure things got ugly at the end, but a lot more has been forgiven over time in other situations. If he didn't want to be here, I as a fan don't have to hate him for it. I don't want guys who no longer want to be here - I don't believe in imprisoning anyone. Plus, if we're all kind of in agreement that Ozzie wore out his welcome with the organization last year, why is it crazy to consider he and Magglio just wore out their welcome...with each other.

My problem in how he left is that he lied to us. He insisted he wanted to come back, then refused to give the Sox a chance to even examine his medical condition.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
My problem in how he left is that he lied to us. He insisted he wanted to come back, then refused to give the Sox a chance to even examine his medical condition.

After having an unauthorized medical procedure in a foreign country, which he lied about.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)

To me, the guy here who hates Ozzie and Magglio at the same time is not being logically consistent.

This is one of the great Sox players of all time...pretty much, and to me the one question mark is whether or not he was clean. Unproven but a valid concern. I think Bernstein confronted KW about this topic on the air and from then on was basically taken completely out of the circle of KW access.

At a Sox-Tigers game, he made a third out then faked like he was going to throw the ball to a kid in the RF front rows. Then laughed, put his head down, and ran in.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
Oooohh--wwweeee--oooohhh Maaaaaaaaagliooooooo.

My favorite player growing up. I wish he retired w/ the Sox.

Yeah, I was obsessed with Magglio. He was a real monster from 1999-2003.

Injuries suck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:04 PM)
The team he plays for?

I don't believe any employer has the right to demand surgery on someone or to pick who does it. Plus his contract was expiring, the club had placed him on the disabled list that would extend past the end of the season. At worse they seemed to have an interest in making sure he never played again. If the surgery failed, the club wasn't out anything. If it was perfectly successful it would cost them more to sign him or he would be playing against them. Would you trust a company in that situation or want to make your own decision on what is done to your body and by whom? I would rather make the choice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
The team he was under contract with at the time, more specifically.

Players all time delay surgery, refuse surgery, go to their own doctors. Seems rather crazy to think a player should just have done whatever by whomever.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 29, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Players all time delay surgery, refuse surgery, go to their own doctors. Seems rather crazy to think a player should just have done whatever by whomever.

But in those cases, keeping the employer informed of the player's decision is always a key step.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 29, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
I don't believe any employer has the right to demand surgery on someone or to pick who does it. Plus his contract was expiring, the club had placed him on the disabled list that would extend past the end of the season. At worse they seemed to have an interest in making sure he never played again. If the surgery failed, the club wasn't out anything. If it was perfectly successful it would cost them more to sign him or he would be playing against them. Would you trust a company in that situation or want to make your own decision on what is done to your body and by whom? I would rather make the choice.

There is a reason it was controversial.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2012 -> 06:29 PM)
I thought the reason it was controversial was because he expected us to resign him but wouldn't provide us with any access to his medical records...

That was part of it. The other part was he had a procedure done that, at least at that time, wasn't done in the US. When Maggs first injured his knee, Ozzie ran out to the field and told him he should have signed the extension. Boras was his agent. He was done with the Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 29, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
I thought the reason it was controversial was because he expected us to resign him but wouldn't provide us with any access to his medical records...

And his refusal to do so screwed us out of type A arb compensation.