Is this team perhaps the most fun one you've watched?

Greg Hibbard

Despite the '05 World Series win, I had very little fun watching the '05 team during the regular season, as games were frequently nail-biters and low-scoring. I'd bet a lot of people here might say the same thing. In August and early September, particularly, the offense was so anemic that it was flat-out difficult to watch.

The most fun I've ever had watching a team before this year was the 2000 season, mainly because of Frank's renaissance season and a collection of fun "regular" guys overacheiving (Valentin, Perry, Sirotka, Baldwin, Parque, and Eldred in particular). Even though the team fell off severely towards the end of the season, it was such a breath of fresh air to look up and not see us in second place 11 games behind Cleveland. It was such a treat to win that division.

I've heard a lot of people say the '77 hitmen were also a fun team to watch, despite their lack of a postseason, but I was too young. Certainly the '83 winning ugly season was awesome, as well.

With this lineup and the solid starting pitching, with so many surprises up and down the lineup and throughout the staff, it seems that this team is a contender to be just a fun team to watch for the whole season. I find myself wondering from day to day which cog in the lineup will produce, and don't worry if the starter will come with a quality effort (if not his best stuff). That all coupled with such low expectations going in have made for such an enjoyable season from a fan's perspective thus far, with only a couple of genuinely frustrating stretches that have lasted mere days.

There are very few real problems in the lineup, in the staff, in the clubhouse, off the field...anywhere. And when that's the case...it's easy to remember how much fun this game can be to watch.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Greg Hibbard

1. 1990 final season in USCF...McDowell, Thomas, Ventura were just starting to show their potential, underdogs all the way

2. 2000

3. 2005

4. 1984

4.5 1993/94

5. 2008 (last two weeks of season, and any time Quentin and Ramirez were hitting)

6. 2006 (first 3-4 months of offensive dominance)

7. 2010 (26-5 stretch)

8. 2009 (watching Beckham the first 3 months, adding Peavy/Rios, Wise catch for Buehrle game)

Edited by caulfield12

2006 first half of the season was the most fun, as there was no pressure coming off of the World Series and the team was just destroying the ball. This last two weeks have been extremely satisfying based on who we've beat as well as who's leading the way (Sale, Reed, Viciedo, Dunn, PK, Rios, Beckham, ADA). These are guys that will continue to be in the organization after this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 29, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
2006 first half of the season was the most fun, as there was no pressure coming off of the World Series and the team was just destroying the ball. This last two weeks have been extremely satisfying based on who we've beat as well as who's leading the way (Sale, Reed, Viciedo, Dunn, PK, Rios, Beckham, ADA). These are guys that will continue to be in the organization after this season.

Yeah, that 55-27 or whatever it was to start the firt half was great.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 29, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
2000 team was hard hitting, they came together after the brawl with the tigers when dean palmer came after parque

Yeah, the infamous Rob Fick (obscene gesture, beer shower), Jeff Weaver, Juan Samuel fight...

Was in the LF bleachers at that game. Good memories.

The 2006 team was 26 games over .500 at the break, ending with that crazy 19 innings game (tied it against Papelbon) that went on forever.

57-31. Then 8 games under .500 at the break and the disastrous 2007 season.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 29, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
that really was a fun team that kind of came out of nowhere. good comparison.

Looking back at it is unreal. Ray Durham, Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez, AND Carlos Lee in the same lineup. They hit .286 .356 .470 .826 as a TEAM