Is this team perhaps the most fun one you've watched?

Greg Hibbard

I've got to go with most of the 2006 season (apart from 2005). Opening Day (Night), the 3 game shellacking in late June of the eventual champion Cardinals (20-6, 13-5, and then 1-0)- it was pretty clear during the bottom of the 3rd in that first game against the Stl. that another deep postseason run was in store.

Until 90 wins wasn't even enough to place 2nd in the division.

September 28-30 of 2008 also deserve recognition, especially the 28th and 29th- which brought about the tiebreaker game in the first place.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 29, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Looking back at it is unreal. Ray Durham, Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez, AND Carlos Lee in the same lineup. They hit .286 .356 .470 .826 as a TEAM

That was also in the steroid era. But yeah, that team was awesome on offense.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)
Looking back at it is unreal. Ray Durham, Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko, Magglio Ordonez, AND Carlos Lee in the same lineup. They hit .286 .356 .470 .826 as a TEAM

That was the line-up that everyone playing had the ability to hit a homer at any time, except for Mark Johnson.

Charles Johnson was added late in the season, and his OPS with us was well over 1.000.

Valentin was a force, as well.

Herbert Perry put up over an 800 OPS, and Chris Singelton/C were the only weak line-up spots.

You had 6 players hitting over 17 homers.

Lots of good memories mentioned in here. Anyone remember the 1996 team that had a 22-2 or 24-2 stretch? It was the best run I had seen by a Sox team in my life. They came back to earth and Cleveland ended up winning the division, but it made things interesting and people were thinking 1995 was just an aberration.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
Lots of good memories mentioned in here. Anyone remember the 1996 team that had a 22-2 or 24-2 stretch? It was the best run I had seen by a Sox team in my life. They came back to earth and Cleveland ended up winning the division, but it made things interesting and people were thinking 1995 was just an aberration.

Was that the team with John "I am Not A" Kruk and Julio Franco?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 29, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
The 2004 offense was pretty crazy until frank and maggs went down. I don't know why but this reminds me of that offense pre-injury.

Any time the Sox have some big boppers I like it. Dick Allen years, Youngsters Gossage and Forster. Luzinski, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble. Big Hurt Albert Belle. Also when the young talent does well. Alex Fenandez, Jason Bere, Robin Ventura ,Carlos Lee, o wee ooo Magglio.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I'll admit that I'm a relatively recent Sox fan...I didn't care about baseball until I moved from Michigan to the Chicago 'burbs for high school in the late 90's, so I didn't become a Sox fan till 2000 and even then, I didn't really understand what I was watching. So I don't have the early 90's teams to choose from like everyone else.

I really enjoyed 2005 because of all the close games, rather than in spite of them. For one, I enjoy dominant pitching quite a bit. But also, watching a close game that you just KNOW you're going to pull out somehow is a great feeling. 2005 from start to finish!

-1990 has a special place in my heart.

Even though they finished like 10 games back, it was a great summer!

-93 they finally broke past the A's and Twins.

-I loved the 2000 team, lot's of two out thunder!

-I even loved watching the 08 team with Swisher's crazy antics.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 29, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
I'll admit that I'm a relatively recent Sox fan...I didn't care about baseball until I moved from Michigan to the Chicago 'burbs for high school in the late 90's, so I didn't become a Sox fan till 2000 and even then, I didn't really understand what I was watching. So I don't have the early 90's teams to choose from like everyone else.

I really enjoyed 2005 because of all the close games, rather than in spite of them. For one, I enjoy dominant pitching quite a bit. But also, watching a close game that you just KNOW you're going to pull out somehow is a great feeling. 2005 from start to finish!

I'm in the same boat. I moved to Illinois in 1999 but didn't really start following the Sox until 2001 or so. So for me, aside from 2005, this team has been the most fun to watch. I just get the feeling that these guys are going out there expecting to win every game, and then they play that way. Last year, it seemed like every game was a struggle. I know they were a struggle to watch. I think it's about time to admit that the change in leadership has a lot to do with the way they are playing this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:57 PM)
The most fun I've had outside of 05 was that incredible streak in 2010. Now that was fun.

This one feels a lot like that one.

I was thinking about that earlier this morning - and how nice it is that the Sox aren't waiting until they're ten games out to go on a run for once.

There was a lot of fun to be had back in the days when he had a REALLY beefed up middle of the order. It seemed like back-to-back/back-to-back-to-back bombs were happening every game. I'm not even sure if I noticed back then whether we won or lost, as long as we were hitting longballs.

And of course Valentin was always dependable for a back breaking error.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
the

f*ck?

I worded this crudely. Sure, watching the team was fun during the first half, and the playoffs/WS were utterly magical, but the second half, particularly august and september, was utterly brutal night-in and night-out from a stress standpoint. I had more *fun* watching the 2000 team.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
I worded this crudely. Sure, watching the team was fun during the first half, and the playoffs/WS were utterly magical, but the second half, particularly august and september, was utterly brutal night-in and night-out from a stress standpoint. I had more *fun* watching the 2000 team.

2005 - the entire season, was the most fun I've had watching sports ever. Of course, I was in my senior year of college and watching every game at the bar. It fell at a really good time for me.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
I was thinking about that earlier this morning - and how nice it is that the Sox aren't waiting until they're ten games out to go on a run for once.

Yeah, the deficit this year is a lot easier to make up.

In answer to the OP, this is the most fun I've had watching the Sox in years. Especially last night. That's the game I've been waiting to see forever. We just look... like winners. Great pitching, D, small hits, homers, everything firing on all cylinders.

Gawd at this rate I may have to backtrack and admit that bringing Ventura on was a stroke of genius by KW, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

KEEP IT UP, BOYS.

It'll be interesting to see if attendance gets a bump this weekend.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
In answer to the OP, this is the most fun I've had watching the Sox in years. Especially last night. That's the game I've been waiting to see forever. We just look... like winners. Great pitching, D, small hits, homers, everything firing on all cylinders.

Gawd at this rate I may have to backtrack and admit that bringing Ventura on was a stroke of genius by KW, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...

KEEP IT UP, BOYS.

It'll be interesting to see if attendance gets a bump this weekend.

You'd think it'd have to. At this point, there's no way casual Chicagoans haven't heard about the tear the Sox are on. If winning is what brings Sox fans out, as the maxim has gone for a decade now, it's gotta turn around soon. If not...I don't know what else the Sox can do to attract people.

This team has been fun so far, but I'll wait a couple months before making an ultimate judgement. Aside from the 2005 team, my favorite to watch was the 2000 team. That offense was scary good. I think they hit something like .285 as a team. It was cool too cause guys like Maggs, Carlos Lee and Konerko were still pretty young and making their presence known, while the Big Hurt proved to the baseball world that he wasn't done just yet.