Are the Sox winning for Kevin Hickey?

Mr. Wedmesday

Caught the last few minutes of CTL before tonight's game.

Frank Thomas said he's certain that Kevin's passing brought the Sox together, gave them focus, and has remained the catalyst for the team's success ever since.

There are certainly other possibilities, but Frank's reasoning feels right to me, and it's as good an explanation for the sudden competence, if not dominance, as any other.

Do you agree, and if so, how far do you think this motivation will take them?

I usually think that rah-rah stuff is a way to rationalize success. Certainly baseball is a mental game, but in baseball I don't think you can "win one for the Gipper" so to speak...grief over Hickey's tragic passing didn't speed up Viciedo's bat or fine-tune Sale's slider, IMO.

The way I think Hickey's passing could potentially affect things is by causing players to "play harder". Possibly not making mental errors, hustling to first base, aggressive baserunning, etc. They're not making many errors right now, but really they're just clobbering the ball, which I highly doubt is related to emotions, like Jake said.

I just think they're playing loose and relaxed, there's not the pressure on the team there was in 2011, there's not the stress between Ozzie and the front office, first year manager with zero experience...we'll see how they handle being in first place, particularly against the Dodgers and Cardinals.

Should be fun.

FWIW, Ventura has been loosening the reigns and let them fly to Tampa with shorts, shades, flip-flops and t-shirts as the apparel of choice. Those little things that add to comfort level and increased team camaraderie really help. Perhaps the funeral did help to bring the team together as well, but emotion doesn't last so long as a catalyst...you'd have to say it's more positive momentum.

Viciedo and Beckham starting to hit...Sale's return to the rotation, the back end of the bullpen being solidified, these are the main reasons they're playing so well.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 29, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
The way I think Hickey's passing could potentially affect things is by causing players to "play harder". Possibly not making mental errors, hustling to first base, aggressive baserunning, etc. They're not making many errors right now, but really they're just clobbering the ball, which I highly doubt is related to emotions, like Jake said.

In particular, there's evidence of this with Rios, compared to 2011.

More hustle on the bases and when playing defense, he's also showing emotions when he's making outs, we didn't see any of that last year, just a kind of blase apathy.