Rays vs White Sox 12:10 CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Rays vs. Quintana: Pena 3, Upton 8, Joyce 7, Zobrist 9, Scott DH, Rodriguez 4, Sutton 5, Molina 2, Johnson 6. Cobb P.

Anybody know Maddon's thinking using Pena as a leadoff hitter? Is his .343 OBP the best they can do?

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Well Jennings is out, but you'd think he would consider Zobrist...

Yeah, Zobrist seems like the much better option. It might have to do with him trying to break up the streak of left handed hitters in the middle of the lineup.

That lineup of theirs just isn't real scary. I understand that Maddon is magical or something like that and they're going to play the game the right way....but I just don't see sustained offense coming from that. Maybe a revival from Matsui could change the look of things.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
The usual.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Sox lineup: De Aza cf Beckham 2b Dunn dh Konerko 1b Rios rf Pierzynski c Viciedo lf Ramirez ss Hudson 3b Quintana p

I don't know where Gonzo gets his lineups from here is the true lineup

DA Da cf

DA Sizzle Bacon 2b

DA Adam Bomb duh

DA King Paulie 1b

DA tar that alex rios rf

DA Zynski c

DA yan Tank lf

DA Xei Missile ss

DA OH! 3b

DA Q! p

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 30, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
The usual.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Sox lineup: De Aza cf Beckham 2b Dunn dh Konerko 1b Rios rf Pierzynski c Viciedo lf Ramirez ss Hudson 3b Quintana p

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:25 AM)
Cobb throws his change about 50% of the time. This will be an exercise in patience for our boys...

His change is also 5 MPH slower than his fastball, which is very odd.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)

If by odd you mean bad, you would be correct.

He should get slaughtered. I have inserted Dayan Viciedo into the lineup for this one in fantasyland.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)

He should get slaughtered. I have inserted Dayan Viciedo into the lineup for this one in fantasyland.

That's what I was going to say, I think 10-12 MPH difference is what you look for, with 13 MPH difference being "ideal". I guess we shall see...hoping the Sox get on em early and SWEEEEP!! :gosoxretro:

Viciedo wasn't already in your lineup? The 2nd hottest fantasy hitter over the past 2 weeks?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)

5 is generally not enough differential, but you occasionally see it work. I've seen Buehrle on periodic days only have about that much differential between fast-change and do just fine. Other things like arm action, movement, etc. can make the differential less important

QUOTE (southsidepride15 @ May 30, 2012 -> 11:58 AM)
That's what I was going to say, I think 10-12 MPH difference is what you look for, with 13 MPH difference being "ideal". I guess we shall see...hoping the Sox get on em early and SWEEEEP!! :gosoxretro:

13mph is generally considered way too much differential. The point of the changeup is that it appears to be a fastball...when the differential is too much, the hitter can recognize that something funny is going on because it looks so different from the fastball. There are probably examples of pitchers that do okay with that much differential, but it isn't the norm. I'll look for it but there is a chart somewhere with MLB batting averages vs changeups by the differential from fastball. The lowest batting average by quite a bit is when the changeup is 9mph off, 8 and 10 being a little less effective but still very effective. Rapidly diminishing returns when the differential is higher or lower