White Sox have flipped from sellers to buyers

southsider2k5

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/st...Xx153-c.twitter

The White Sox originally had visions of unloading veterans at the deadline but now plan to add players, according to a high-ranking team official who requested anonymity from USA TODAY Sports because of competitive reasons. They would have given away starter Jake Peavy and his $17 million salary a few months ago. Now he's untouchable, with the White Sox envisioning him as their workhorse for the pennant stretch.

As long as the Detroit Tigers do not sprint from the pack in the division, the White Sox will keep them company.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ May 31, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
Interesting, but I think its still a little early to decide whether we are buyers or sellers. The trade deadline is two months away. A lot can happen in that time.

Kenny is a strike early type of GM.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
Kenny is a strike early type of GM.

Plus he may want to cut off a move by the Tigers. There are rumblings that they might move Fielder to DH, Cabby back to first and trade for a 3b or SS (if they move Peralta to 3b). Seems like the Sox would also be in the market for a 3b.

It's a weird year because so far I don't see a starting staff that I think is so dominant that the Sox can't compete with them. Maybe you guys do, but not me. Everyone has some holes.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
I really hope they don't do any moves at the deadline. There aren't any huge positions of need outside of third base, and we need to find out what we have in Morel.

If this team stays in competition for a while, I won't be mad if Morel loses a year here. That said, I'm not quite sure how the 3b market is going to shape up. David Wright is obviously the prize, but the Sox really don't have the ammo to go after him outside of the big league roster. With so many other teams genuinely competitive, it's hard to figure out who would be significantly better and available. Danny Valencia doesn't exactly excite. Ian Stewart? Padres have Chase Headley but he's under team control through 2015. Brandon Inge?

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
If the Tigers make the Cabrera/Fielder combo into a 1B/DH tandem, they're going to have a logjam when V-Mart returns. Do they still want him everyday catching? What happens to Avila?

It's a good question. At one time they thought VMart was lost for the season, then they said he might be back in August. Seems like a big unknown at this point.

And I still think the biggest issue they need to address is starting pitching.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
It's a good question. At one time they thought VMart was lost for the season, then they said he might be back in August. Seems like a big unknown at this point.

And I still think the biggest issue they need to address is starting pitching.

"Improving their starting pitching" is actually hampered by their poor IF defense. And there's just not much they're going to do about that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
"Improving their starting pitching" is actually hampered by their poor IF defense. And there's just not much they're going to do about that.

I think if they let Worth stay at 2b and find a good SS it would help a bunch, but you're right.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:48 PM)
I think if they let Worth stay at 2b and find a good SS it would help a bunch, but you're right.

Finding a good SS would mean getting rid of Peralta or moving Peralta to 3b, which then moves Cabrera back to 1b/DH, Fielder to 1b/DH, and benches Avila or VMart when he returns.

Peralta's their SS. The only way he can move somewhere else is if one of those guys is on the DL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Finding a good SS would mean getting rid of Peralta or moving Peralta to 3b, which then moves Cabrera back to 1b/DH, Fielder to 1b/DH, and benches Avila or VMart when he returns.

Peralta's their SS. The only way he can move somewhere else is if one of those guys is on the DL.

Well that's exactly what they're talking about doing, moving Peralta to 3b (where he's probably better suited anyway) and there's no guarantee that VMart is back this season.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:54 PM)
Well that's exactly what they're talking about doing, moving Peralta to 3b (where he's probably better suited anyway) and there's no guarantee that VMart is back this season.

So they can make a move to do that, but it can't be a long term move, and long term they need to figure out what the bleep they're going to do with their 3 DHs.

Alex Gonzalez (currently with the Brewers) might be somewhat sensible there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:56 PM)
So they can make a move to do that, but it can't be a long term move, and long term they need to figure out what the bleep they're going to do with their 3 DHs.

Alex Gonzalez (currently with the Brewers) might be somewhat sensible there.

Gonzalez tore his ACL. He won't be back for awhile.

I still think Youkilis makes a ton of sense for us. He's been playing extremely well lately and shouldn't cost a ton of talent due to his contract situation and the presence of Middlebrooks. I know there are some health concerns with him, but I'd be willing to take that risk for a player of his caliber. Plus you'd be able to give Morel a half season at AAA and better determine if he should be the starter next year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:25 PM)
I still think Youkilis makes a ton of sense for us. He's been playing extremely well lately and shouldn't cost a ton of talent due to his contract situation and the presence of Middlebrooks. I know there are some health concerns with him, but I'd be willing to take that risk for a player of his caliber. Plus you'd be able to give Morel a half season at AAA and better determine if he should be the starter next year.

I guess the question becomes the cost.