White Sox have flipped from sellers to buyers

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
I'd love to take a shot with him...even when he does frustrate, he seems to always be able to limit the damage. However, if you need an innings eater, he's probably not your man.

Cooper does also have a rep for helping build guys not named Peavy into innings-eaters. How long before Volquez hits FA?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)
Cooper does also have a rep for helping build guys not named Peavy into innings-eaters. How long before Volquez hits FA?

I'm sure he would be available from the Padres at the deadline.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
At this point, we hardly have a clear need. 3B is the closest to it. There are some things that we can see becoming holes, and I'd imagine that will present itself more clearly as time goes on. I sure wouldn't strike quickly to add a player right now while we're so hot and lacking an absolute need (assuming that we should look more in depth at OH and BM at 3B before deciding what to do there)

Exactly. Our weakest link is 3b but we haven't lost a game, and have actually seen some exceptional defense there, since O-Dog took over the hot corner. I suppose we could use a starter but with Quintana showing some real promise we could stash him in Charlotte as a cheap go-to should one of our starters falter badly (Mr. Floyd). I think this is one year where I actually hope KW chooses not to strike early but rather gives this team some time to clearly identify where our holes are at.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
Exactly. Our weakest link is 3b but we haven't lost a game, and have actually seen some exceptional defense there, since O-Dog took over the hot corner. I suppose we could use a starter but with Quintana showing some real promise we could stash him in Charlotte as a cheap go-to should one of our starters falter badly (Mr. Floyd). I think this is one year where I actually hope KW chooses not to strike early but rather gives this team some time to clearly identify where our holes are at.

I'm on board with this strategy. If it ain't broke right now, why fix it?

I really like what Quintana has shown, but if he has developed trade value over recent weeks, I'd like to see him traded. I don't think he's a long-term starter. He's been getting people out with a well-located 89 mph fastball...and not much else. Has not thrown a breaking ball or changeup much at all, and not for a good strike rate.

We got him for free, he's been performing surprisingly well, so if we can get anything of value for him, I say do it.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)

And we can't be 100% sure yet how Danks will perform or if that shoulder problem will recur...

Better to hold on to our insurance policies in the near-term.

And Quintana's not going to net us a significant addition for the very reasons being mentioned for dumping him. He would have to prove himself for an extended run of starts, and, at that point, he becomes more and more dubious to trade...why would we get rid of someone who's clearly being successful and turn our hopes to the Axelrod's and Castro's of our minor leagues?

Think of someone like Takatsu. We all feared when he came up that hitters would learn to lay off his frisbee and wait on the fastball. Maybe Quintana isn't a one trick pony, but any starter who's in the 88-91 MPH range (even a left-hander) struggles to bring back much in return for the reasons we want to trade him as quickly as possible for any type of "quick fix" payoff for our roster.

Edited by caulfield12

Sit tight,Kenny. O-Dog has a .633 OPS,which is not great,but it makes a big difference over Morel's .425 OPS.

I love the switch-hitting angle with O-Dog....it makes pitchers uncomfortable. Also the speed factor. He gets on more often,and when he does, he can mess with the pitcher who is facing the dangerous DeAza.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
Sit tight,Kenny. O-Dog has a .633 OPS,which is not great,but it makes a big difference over Morel's .425 OPS.

I love the switch-hitting angle with O-Dog....it makes pitchers uncomfortable. Also the speed factor. He gets on more often,and when he does, he can mess with the pitcher who is facing the dangerous DeAza.

Or he can mess with our minds by getting thrown out on the basepaths right in front of Beckham homers.

That extra run would have come in handy in the 8th inning yesterday.

I've stated that at this point, the biggest reasons for the Sox slow home attendance are as follows (in no particular order...)

1. They weren't expected to do anything this season. No off season buzz heading into it.

2. Three losing seasons in the past five years. One playoff appearance since 2008. (no consistent stretch of winning)

3. Ozzie's blasts at the fan base the past few years, which rubbed raw a lot of people. (For example, I sent Brooks an e-mail after Ozzie's 'pissing on statue's' comment. It was a week before he got back to me, which is very unusual. Brooks apologized saying he was trying to catch up to all the fans who had written him.)

If they can stay in this thing, I think the fan base will start to respond but if you want to consistently get a large attendance seasonally, the Sox are simply going to have to start consistently winning. The had (in relative terms) a consistent winner (i.e. winning seasons) from 2003 through 2006 capped off by a World Series win...attendance grew over that time period.

It's going to take the same consistent winning / playoff appearances to do that again in my opinion. And the longer the Sox could do that, the greater the buzz and the bigger the number of fans who'll come out. The problem is though that in over 100 years the Sox have NOT been able to consistently win...they are the only one of the original 16 (pre expansion) baseball franchises to have never made the playoffs in back to back years.

That's incredible.

Lip

(saw this from Mark Liptak over at WSI.com, they have a 19 page thread/complaint on the dynamic pricing issue)

Brooks was on ESPN1000 a bit earlier and said when trying to promote tickets this weekend: "Dynamically priced tickets means the ticket prices are very similar to what you’d find in the secondary market." What secondary markets is he looking at!?

Indeed. I checked whitesox.com first to buy tickets for tomorrow's game because I REALLY wanted to buy from the team to reward the winning streak. However, I'm on a budget and I simply couldn't ignore the savings that were on stubhub compared to what they were charging on the team website. I ended up getting four Club level seats above the Sox dugout (PLUS a parking pass) on stubhub for $10 cheaper per ticket than four regular lower reserve seats in the outfield on whitesox.com. Clearly, the best deal for me was on stubhub and not whitesox.com. If anyone in the Sox organization is tracking this thread, you lost the sale of four extra tickets for Saturday's game due to the high "dynamic" price.

I did the same exact thing. It is absurd that the cheapest ticket, not in the upper deck, is $50 through whitesox.com.

I hear you, I really noticed a lot of negativity on the Score regarding the Sox lately. They usually either make fun of Hawk or bash the Sox or their fans about attendance. This is especially apparent on B&B. I just want to hear them talk about how good the team is, but they go for cheap shots.

Then they follow it up with "Don't worry the Cubs will be good in 3 years" over and over.. This on the Sox flagship station, sheesh..