White Sox vs Mariners 3:10 CST

Kyyle23

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:36 PM)
5-6 in one run games

13-14 at home

1-3 in extras

9 blown saves

Lots of room for improvement there. Game should have been over when we were up 7-5 in the 8th, but Crain just wasn't able to hold it.

Some really bad defense from AJ/Hudson...bad baserunning from DeAza getting deked by Ryan into thinking he might drop it, you have to get back to first and prevent the double play there. At worst, it's a forceout and there's a runner on 1st for Dunn, although with the way Adam hit in this game, maybe it wouldn't have even mattered.

Key hit of the game was obviously the Ryan double.

Still, great to to see more homers from Viciedo (one of the most impressive of the entire season) and Beckham's hot streak (9 games with at least one hit) continues.

Yeah that was just bad on Alejandro's part. Go back to first. Ryan won't get Gordon out if he lets it drop. Provided that Gordon actually runs down to first.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 935
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
Why not? Would you prefer prospects from some team?

As bad as Floyd has been recently, there's a 90% chance that he would be better overall than Quintana in terms of giving us the best shot in the 2nd half to win the division...simply because we know eventually he'll go on another hot streak, he's just completely erratic, but it will turn again.

Youkilis being picked up would be out of the same playbook as signing Manny Ramirez. He's creaky at best down at 3rd these days, which is why they still prefer to play the error-prone Middlebrooks down there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:35 PM)
We're not going to challenge for this division if Quintana is the 5th starter.

What? THIS division?

A lot of divisions have been won with worse pitchers in the 5-slot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 01:44 AM)
What? THIS division?

A lot of divisions have been won with worse pitchers in the 5-slot.

Yeah, it's not as much that Quintana would be the 5th starter, but you're putting a lot of faith in Axelrod to step up when one of the starters hits the DL/hits the wall

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
Bad day for the bullpen. Guys have been overused. The only reason the M's were able to even threaten in certain innings was because we kept giving them leadoff walks.

I really didn't like how Robin handled the bullpen today, especially in that 6th inning. He used 3 guys to get like 4 batters out. Truth is, he should have never used Stewart.

Hopefully, Danks will be back for the Toronto series and Quintana won't have to start a game.

I agree...but Nate Jones was sick, so he didn't want to burn Crain or let Ohman pitch to the righty.

In the 6th, it really didn't look like this would be a 12 inning game, either.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
Yeah, it's not as much that Quintana would be the 5th starter, but you're putting a lot of faith in Axelrod to step up when one of the starters hits the DL/hits the wall

Fair enough...but every team is putting a lot of faith in some random guy in AAA if that happens.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)
I agree...but Nate Jones was sick, so he didn't want to burn Crain or let Ohman pitch to the righty.

What's the worst Ryan could have done? He was hitting .175 and had one lucky hit today. I thought he should have left Ohman in. Worst comes to worst, you walk Ryan and you pitch to Ichiro.

Jones looked like he was breathing a bit hard out there today, I was surprised he was still bringing it. Apparently he had food poisoning.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 01:46 AM)

Only real regret about way bullpen was used was Thornton not starting the 8th with 3 lefties coming up. He used Ohman perfectly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:46 PM)

Or Castro.

Although Dylan definitely is 1A because of his experience.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
Only real regret about way bullpen was used was Thornton not starting the 8th with 3 lefties coming up. He used Ohman perfectly.

Hudson's error in that inning was pretty big.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)

Personally I'm not sold on Quintana as a full time effective starter just yet, the guy has barely been above A-ball and hasn't yet hit any adversity.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 06:47 PM)
What's the worst Ryan could have done? He was hitting .175 and had one lucky hit today. I thought he should have left Ohman in. Worst comes to worst, you walk Ryan and you pitch to Ichiro.

Jones looked like he was breathing a bit hard out there today, I was surprised he was still bringing it. Apparently he had food poisoning.

It's all just easy to criticize in hindsight.

I'm not going to complain about the way this Club is being managed right now.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Hudson's error in that inning was pretty big.

In the 6th? They didn't score that inning, although it was extended through Stewart and Santiago.

But not stopping AJ's throw (in the 8th) turned out to be huge, because we could have had a tie game going into the bottom of the 8th instead of the 1 run deficit that Dayan tied up against Pryor.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 01:53 AM)
We've won 13 out of our last 16 games.

Guess who started all three of those that we lost?

That's pretty incredible. He needs to get his head out and start pitching like Gavin.

FWIW, Simon Castro is pitching very well (going tonight, no hits given up yet) and has limited RHB's to a .180 average.

Darn. Twins blow an early 4-0 lead in CLE, tied 4-4 now.

That Kipnis is a pain in the damned butt.

Pretty impressive they're still well over .500 without Santana, Hafner and Sizemore, with Jose Lopez as their clean-up hitter.

Lowe has been the key to stabilizing that starting rotation.

Edited by caulfield12

I think we saw today why the ODog really isn't an option to play everyday at 3B if you want to win. I don't know what's going on with Floyd, but as little as I have always thought of him, he's been awful lately. Other than that, the team looks good. Obviously Crain had a bad outing, but its going to happen, and Reed was pretty hittable, but it was his second inning, even with a low pitch count, something he is not used to.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
In the 6th? They didn't score that inning, although it was extended through Stewart and Santiago.

But not stopping AJ's throw (in the 8th) turned out to be huge, because we could have had a tie game going into the bottom of the 8th instead of the 1 run deficit that Dayan tied up against Pryor.

He also should have knocked down the double.

Was the balk call legit? I was sitting a couple rows behind the Mariners on deck circle, you could hear Robing yelling the call was "bulls***".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)

Was the balk call legit? I was sitting a couple rows behind the Mariners on deck circle, you could hear Robing yelling the call was "bulls***".

It was a terrible call.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 09:09 PM)

It was disturbingly similar to Joe West's balk calls on Buehrle.

Hawk was eerily quiet.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:07 PM)
I think we saw today why the ODog really isn't an option to play everyday at 3B if you want to win. I don't know what's going on with Floyd, but as little as I have always thought of him, he's been awful lately. Other than that, the team looks good. Obviously Crain had a bad outing, but its going to happen, and Reed was pretty hittable, but it was his second inning, even with a low pitch count, something he is not used to.

Crain was absolutely awesome in the 7th. The leadoff walk in the 8th killed us.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)

If it was, it was such a close call that no other MLB umpire would possibly have called it.

Thankfully, that run didn't score at least.