Jorge Soler

Baron

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
our outfield is pretty deep and we have good prospects in our system. i see no reason to overpay for soler power

Who are the prospects? Mitchell is playing better, but hasn't he dropped off the top prospect radar? I think it's reasonable to have high expectations for Hawkins, but the rest of the propsects are guys like Jordan Danks, right?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)
Who are the prospects? Mitchell is playing better, but hasn't he dropped off the top prospect radar? I think it's reasonable to have high expectations for Hawkins, but the rest of the propsects are guys like Jordan Danks, right?

Mitchell is still a prospect. Hawkins is going to be one of their highest rated prospects. Viciedo is on the team and a corner OF. I don't think they would mind adding Soler, chances are someone is going to bust, but at what he is going to cost, I don't see it happening unless they are convinced he's better than everyone they have.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)

I liter ther thompson kids also. I thought he showed a lot in the spring.

Not a bad deal at all, the only thing is that he won't make the majors for at least 3-4 years, according to what we have been hearing for a while. So really, it's paying him $30M over 5 or 6 years of major league production. For $5-6M a year. Still not bad at all, but that does add a little more pressure for him to live up to it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Not a bad deal at all, the only thing is that he won't make the majors for at least 3-4 years, according to what we have been hearing for a while. So really, it's paying him $30M over 5 or 6 years of major league production. For $5-6M a year. Still not bad at all, but that does add a little more pressure for him to live up to it.

Basically he got the same money Chapman got, except for that whole "will start in low A ball" part.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
Just saw on ESPN that he can opt out of the deal during his arbitration years if he decides that will get him more money.

"Once Soler becomes eligible for salary arbitration, he will have the right to choose arbitration instead of the annual salaries specified by his contract, according to a major-league source.

In other words, if Soler develops into a productive major leaguer, he can opt out of the financial terms of his deal and negotiate even better salaries with the Cubs."

-- Rosenthal.

Ok, this makes a lot more sense from Soler's standpoint now. So the Cubs are going to be paying AT LEAST $5-6M during his major league years. Sounds fair though, if he sucks, they don't lose that much money, if he is awesome, Soler doesn't lose much money.