Here's a radical idea

Tannerfan

In the Los Angeles Times today in the Angels FYI column, it's reported that Albert Pujols will play third base in their upcoming inter league games.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia points out that this will allow the Angels to keep their 3 and 4 hitters in place with Kendry Morales who has been the DH playing first base hence the move of Pujols to third.

In the story Pujols is quoted as saying "You have more time than you think. It's not like playing shortstop or second. The ball gets to you quick, you catch the ball, you throw it. That's it."

Obviously you see where I'm going with this. Move Konerko to third, and have Dunn play first in National League parks this year. I think Paulie is vastly underrated as a fielder, and reacts very quickly to balls hit his way. Also I believe he was a third baseman in the Dodgers organization. Could he play there as well as Orlando Hudson?

I'd love to find out.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
In the Los Angeles Times today in the Angels FYI column, it's reported that Albert Pujols will play third base in their upcoming inter league games.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia points out that this will allow the Angels to keep their 3 and 4 hitters in place with Kendry Morales who has been the DH playing first base hence the move of Pujols to third.

In the story Pujols is quoted as saying "You have more time than you think. It's not like playing shortstop or second. The ball gets to you quick, you catch the ball, you throw it. That's it."

Obviously you see where I'm going with this. Move Konerko to third, and have Dunn play first in National League parks this year. I think Paulie is vastly underrated as a fielder, and reacts very quickly to balls hit his way. Also I believe he was a third baseman in the Dodgers organization. Could he play there as well as Orlando Hudson?

I'd love to find out.

Konerko has no range at all, none. If I was playing the Sox and Konerko was at 3rd, I'd bunt at him over and over and over and over and over. Hell, I'd have Dunn and Viciedo bunt.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
No. But I like outside-the-box thinking, so keep it up!

FWIW I wasn't suggesting that Paulie move to third base to solve our third base problem. I just thought it might be worth the gamble in a Natinal League park. I really don't think playing him at third could be much worse than Dunn in left. Especially since Viciedo is hitting now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
He played catcher too, you know. So did Carlos Delgado. Maybe we could platoon those two at catcher after this season?

I like it! Konerko finishes his career as a DH/back up catcher.

If you're playing somebody out of position, obviously it's Dunn in LF, Viciedo at 3B, and PK stays at 1B.

I'm not in favor of doing this for regular season games, but if the Sox are fortunate enough to make the WS and there is still no production from 3B, I think Robin would have to do it then.

This is all fine and good until Konerko suffers a season-ending injury or pulls a hammy lunging to his left or right or trying to come in on a bunt and throwing across his body in a way he's not used to doing.

Viciedo...okay, he's played with position as recently as 3 years ago.

Konerko, no way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
There was that one game Jermaine Dye played SS, so like on the off chance that Alexei never gets going, we have that, so

That was only for like an inning. It was because Crede was at shortstop to start the game then got ejected in the 9th. The Widge started at third that game.