Locking up the young pieces

Quin

So, the other day I was thinking of how wonderful it is to have Sale, Viciedo, Reed, a seemingly rejuvenated Beckham, and a hopefully not dead Morel. Then I was wondering about how man, they'll be expensive when they hit arbitration.

If you're the White Sox, do you start considering signing any of those five to deals like the Rays signed Longoria to when he came up and started making noise?

If this last month is the real Beckham, I would consider giving him a deal. Maybe a 3-4 year deal. I believe he is in his first Arb. year next year so you would be buying out his arbitration years and one year of free agency. I would probably do the same with Viciedo. If he's as legit as he seems, his arbitration years could be very expensive so I would try and buy them out. I would wait on Sale to see how he responds to a full year or two starting in the majors, but he also could be very expensive through arbitration if this season is any indicator.

Sale: The fact that his arm could fall off at any moment worries me, I would wait

That was my first thought, but then my second thought is that the fact that his arm could fall off at any moment worries HIM, and he might take a multi-year deal at well below market value.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
Egads, folks. Brent Morel is a garbage baseball player. Have it tattooed on the back of your eyelids already.

In all fairness, I said if he's not dead, which currently I'm not sure if he's an animated corpse or not.

Funny how 3 weeks ago people wanted to get rid of Beckham as quickly as possible, and now we're seeing threads wanting to lock him up long term....

Does anyone think we'd actually get robbed in arbitration based on his performance if he puts up his career line for the rest of the year?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
That was my first thought, but then my second thought is that the fact that his arm could fall off at any moment worries HIM, and he might take a multi-year deal at well below market value.

Good point. A Matt Moore type deal would work for me, but Sale might have already accomplished too much for that.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
So, the other day I was thinking of how wonderful it is to have Sale, Viciedo, Reed, a seemingly rejuvenated Beckham, and a hopefully not dead Morel. Then I was wondering about how man, they'll be expensive when they hit arbitration.

If you're the White Sox, do you start considering signing any of those five to deals like the Rays signed Longoria to when he came up and started making noise?

I think it is early to talk about all of this. Additionally, the Sox have done a fantastic job locking up guys when the time comes anyway. Haven't gone through arbitration in forever. No need to hand out any long-term deals to the above players. Lots of time before decisions have to be made. Becks is the only guy you think about it with and even then, you need to see a bigger picture before you make a decision.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
In all fairness, I said if he's not dead, which currently I'm not sure if he's an animated corpse or not.

Yeah, I guess, but then if we're still trying to figure out whether he's dead or not, it certainly doesn't make sense to even mention him in a thread about "locking up the young pieces", yes?

The thing about signing Beckham is you'd have to go out on a limb a bit and probably offer him a bit more money than he actually deserves. Otherwise, he's just going to roll the dice that he can clean up in arbitration and in his first FA deal.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:42 PM)
Funny how 3 weeks ago people wanted to get rid of Beckham as quickly as possible, and now we're seeing threads wanting to lock him up long term....

Does anyone think we'd actually get robbed in arbitration based on his performance if he puts up his career line for the rest of the year?

Sox fans are a pretty fickle group and live and die off just a couple games. You must hit 1.000 or have twenty wins in a month or they want to get rid of you quickly and cheaply. You can never struggle or be given time to develop. :lolhitting We have some real decent young talent so I have no problem signing them to extensions.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
Vicedo switched to agent Scott Boras...............We shall see!

KW seems to have lightened up on that whole thing after the 2010 Damon negotiations. Unless it's gone sour from then....