Locking up the young pieces

Quin

If Brent Morel hit .350 the rest of the year with 20 HR's, I wouldn't even think of extending him. Not with a "Back thing".

The last guy who I thought it would have been a good idea to give the 8 year extension to was Quentin in 2008. I'm kind of glad that the team did not listen to me. Thus, consider me chastened. Maybe talk about Viciedo at the end of the year. Beckham too inconsistent. Sale too scary.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
If this last month is the real Beckham, I would consider giving him a deal.

I still miss the doubles machine, walks at a good rate '09 Beckham, but the homers are nice. I'll truly know he's back when I see those things out of him, but I like what I'm seeing from him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
I still miss the doubles machine, walks at a good rate '09 Beckham, but the homers are nice. I'll truly know he's back when I see those things out of him, but I like what I'm seeing from him.

Even if he is "on", how can anyone have confidence in what he'll give us 3 years from now if we try to buy out his arbitration years?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Even if he is "on", how can anyone have confidence in what he'll give us 3 years from now if we try to buy out his arbitration years?

I agree which is why we shouldn't even be considering locking up young guys yet. The only one I would even entertain is Sale since he is just a freaking stud (and will cost alot in the future), but we'll see how his arm holds up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
If Brent Morel hit .350 the rest of the year with 20 HR's, I wouldn't even think of extending him. Not with a "Back thing".

The last guy who I thought it would have been a good idea to give the 8 year extension to was Quentin in 2008. I'm kind of glad that the team did not listen to me. Thus, consider me chastened. Maybe talk about Viciedo at the end of the year. Beckham too inconsistent. Sale too scary.

Also good choices (year by year) with Joe Crede and Bobby Jenks.

They've always been astute in their judgements with players on their own roster...except for how to handle Swisher, perhaps. And we really don't know how much of that was Ozzie and how much of it was "self-induced" to use a Hawkism.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
Also good choices (year by year) with Joe Crede and Bobby Jenks.

They've always been astute in their judgements with players on their own roster...except for how to handle Swisher, perhaps. And we really don't know how much of that was Ozzie and how much of it was "self-induced" to use a Hawkism.

A lot had to do with Ozzie I think. There have been a few guys that have excelled everywhere else from a clubhouse perspective that were just awful with Ozzie and its no surprise that those guys happened to like attention and be a little louder (and Ozzie couldn't handle that). Ozzie really was a horrendous horrendous person to have lead a franchise. Giant egos do not make good managers.

I'd wait until Sale is closer to his arb years just to see how his arm holds up. I'm unclear on Viciedo's contract/arb/FA details but that guy is going to be a stud....he's the one player of the bunch that I wouldn't be at all pissed if KW were to go out on a limb and sign him long-term tomorrow.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
I'd wait until Sale is closer to his arb years just to see how his arm holds up. I'm unclear on Viciedo's contract/arb/FA details but that guy is going to be a stud....he's the one player of the bunch that I wouldn't be at all pissed if KW were to go out on a limb and sign him long-term tomorrow.

Dayan Viciedo will be pre-arb for the 2012, 2013, and 2014 seasons, then will have 3 arbitration eligible seasons: 2015, 2016, and 2017. If he is not extended, he will be a free agent following the 2017 season. He will turn 29 that offseason if his age is correct.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
I'd be interested in seeing Viciedo's stats on what kinds of pitches he's been getting his HR's. We keep hearing he hits the curve better than the fastball. So the league might try to adjust to him then we'll see how he adjusts back. In any case no need to lock anyone up at this point.

Mostly sliders.

The difference is that he's been taking fastballs to the opposite field for singles...so opposing pitchers are going to have to make another adjustment, since he's striking out much less frequently.

The one of Seattle's Pryor, pretty sure it was an 88 MPH slider...the one he jacked to straightaway RF.