White Sox draft Courtney Hawkins OF out of Carroll HS (TX)

knightni

Did I hear right that he was planning on going to college and committed to some school? Doesn't this effectively mean we've lost him after his 4 years are over there? I'm a bit confused on this issue and the changes we would lose him if he chose college instead- not clear on the rules I guess...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:28 AM)
Did I hear right that he was planning on going to college and committed to some school? Doesn't this effectively mean we've lost him after his 4 years are over there? I'm a bit confused on this issue and the changes we would lose him if he chose college instead- not clear on the rules I guess...

He has already committed to the University of Texas for baseball but there's almost zero chance he doesn't sign.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Blah. Not a fan of another OF this early with the organization starving for SP.

And I can guarantee we target pitching (and middle IFs) during the international signing period. Plus our minor league pitching depth is way, way better than our position depth.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 05:27 AM)
He has already committed to the University of Texas for baseball but there's almost zero chance he doesn't sign.

So, if he goes to Texas, we lose him? Is that how it works?

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan

Laumann on prep sluggers Hawkins, Barnum: “We’ve always been directed to take the guys with the highest ceiling and impact.’’

“With those 2 kids we felt like potential, ceiling chance to develop in next wave, to have those two guys in a lineup would be impressive."

‘’Hawkins is more advanced and polished but both have potential to be impact players.’’

Today, rounds 2-15, starting at 11am Chicago time. See the discussion in this thread for details.

Remember too, if you want to "adopt" a prospect, just go to this thread and claim him. Also, this thread shows who has what prospects right now, and who is available.

First post for a given draft pick gets that AAP, so post in that first linked thread above as the draft picks come in.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
The baseball draft bores me. Call me in 5 years and we'll know if this guy can play.

C.J. Henry went No. 15 overall to the Yankees one year and quite possibly might be the worst player in organized baseball history. It only took him 3-4 years to leave the game completely. He was "five tool."

Luke Hochevar No. 1 overall? My god.

For the first time ever, I agree with you greg...Baseball prospects are darn near impossible to project.

The ceiling looks high on these 2 guys but you just never know.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Does drafting Hawkins instead of Stroman mean we are out on Soler? Soler and Hawkins seem pretty comparable, though Soler may start in A ball.

For the dollars being talked about with Soler, I don't think we were ever "in" on him.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:28 AM)

When he committed to Texas, it just means he can't go to another NCAA school. Just like football, basketball, etc.

Everyone seems to love the potential of Beck.

Lots of "projectable" arms that, at worst, end up in the bullpen, but could get a couple of mid/back-end starters out of it if all goes well with their development from a mechanical standpoint.

Barnum and Hawkins the definition of boom/bust or high risk/high reward guys, particularly Hawkins.

Quite a few out there would have preferred to go with Stroman and Smoral over Hawkins/Barnum, but the White Sox are definitely taking more "high ceiling" guys, and younger players than they've ever selected before so early due to the new draft rules.

Also picked up a bunch of middle infielders to build up our depth in that largely barren area of our farm system (Saladino and Carlos Sanchez, notwithstanding).

From reading a little bit around the World Wide Web, it appears we got some really good value on Hawkins (was thought to be a top 10, even top 5 prospect), Beck (was BA preseason 10 top pick), and the Kyle Hansen pick I've heard talked about as the steal of the draft. Could move very quickly through our organization as a reliever.

I love our first three picks, and I really like the amount of projecable arms we've selected thus far, especially Hansen.

It seems as though they went BPA in Hawkins at 13, then really focused on power arms and middle-infielders. Beck and Hansen could turn out to be steals.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
I love our first three picks, and I really like the amount of projecable arms we've selected thus far, especially Hansen.

It seems as though they went BPA in Hawkins at 13, then really focused on power arms and middle-infielders. Beck and Hansen could turn out to be steals.

As a graduate of the Georgia Southern MS Sport Management program, go War Eagles!!

Todd Greene and Joey Hamilton were legends, and the tradition lives on with Roache and Beck(s).

And one of the two most famous I-AA football programs in history, along with Youngstown State and Marshall.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
As a graduate of the Georgia Southern MS Sport Management program, go War Eagles!!

Todd Greene and Joey Hamilton were legends, and the tradition lives on with Roache and Beck(s).

And one of the two most famous I-AA football programs in history, along with Youngstown State and Marshall.

It produced the other Adrian Peterson.

Kevin Goldstein did a "Projection of category leaders" for 2012 draftees. Basically, which player who was just drafted is the most likely to lead the draft class in each stat.......

He picked Courtney Hawkins to lead the 2012 draft class in Homeruns....

Home runs: Courtney Hawkins, OF, White Sox (13th overall pick). There are players in this draft with more raw power than Hawkins, but Hawkins is the most likely to tap into it. He has a classic right-field profile with the arm, the power and decent athleticism, and the moment he signs, he'll be the No. 1 prospect in the White Sox system, by a wide margin. As a high school pick, he'll take a while to develop, but he should be worth it. Risk level: High.