Stephen Drew

GREEDY

Seems like Stephen Drew might be available in the coming months. KW has at the very least a working relationship with both the Diamondbacks and Towers.

Drew would be a very nice rental.

The Sox really could use a left handed hitting third baseman.

Drew is a slightly below average defensive shortstop. With how poorly 3B is being currently being defended, and even if there is a learning curve for Stephen, I would speculate that you would get at least average defense from him at third.

Not to mention that if Alexei continues to struggle, or if Gordon relapses, it wouldn't hurt to have a solid lefty to platoon with any of the three underachieving (offensively) infielders. Between the three of them (Beckham, Ramirez, Morel), at least one of them is downright lost at the plate... at all times.

Drew already plays in a hitter friendly park so there wouldn't be much of a bump by playing home games at the Cell, pretty much a neutral move.

It does not appear that there will be much 3B help available at the deadline and I am of the opinion that Orlando Hudson is not the answer. Hudson couldn't cut the mustard as a platooned second basemen, in a pitchers park, in the national league; there is no way, shape, or form that he should be a corner infielder in the American league.

The only real interesting name that I could even say has the slightest chance of being moved is Pedro Alvarez, but I am not sure the White Sox even have enough available to net Pedro. Other names that could become available:

Ian Stewart (nice fit 2b/3b, left handed, if only he didn't suck)

Kevin Youkillis (Unlikely to be moved)

Wilson Betemit (Sox already have two or three designated hitters)

Omar Vizquel (love the dude, but Morel can already play great D at 3b and provide a 650 OPS)

Brandon Inge (slightly interesting but not a real platoon option, and his ceiling isn't much higher than Morel's floor)

None are even better than 50/50 to be dealt, nor are they that exciting.

I am not sure what the asking price is or will be for Drew, but I feel he would be a very nice addition.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Seems like Stephen Drew might be available in the coming months. KW has at the very least a working relationship with both the Diamondbacks and Towers.

Drew would be a very nice rental.

The Sox really could use a left handed hitting third baseman.

Drew is a slightly below average defensive shortstop. With how poorly 3B is being currently being defended, and even if there is a learning curve for Stephen, I would speculate that you would get at least average defense from him at third.

Not to mention that if Alexei continues to struggle, or if Gordon relapses, it wouldn't hurt to have a solid lefty to platoon with any of the three underachieving (offensively) infielders. Between the three of them (Beckham, Ramirez, Morel), at least one of them is downright lost at the plate... at all times.

Drew already plays in a hitter friendly park so there wouldn't be much of a bump by playing home games at the Cell, pretty much a neutral move.

It does not appear that there will be much 3B help available at the deadline and I am of the opinion that Orlando Hudson is not the answer. Hudson couldn't cut the mustard as a platooned second basemen, in a pitchers park, in the national league; there is no way, shape, or form that he should be a corner infielder in the American league.

The only real interesting name that I could even say has the slightest chance of being moved is Pedro Alvarez, but I am not sure the White Sox even have enough available to net Pedro. Other names that could become available Ian Stewart, Kevin Youkillis, Wilson Betemit, Omar Vizquel, Brandon Inge... none are even better than 50/50 to be dealt, nor are they that exciting.

I am not sure what the asking price is or will be for Drew, but I feel he would be a very nice addition.

I wonder if KW would have claimed Inge had he gotten past the A's all the way to the Sox?

Of course, we already have ties with Betemit and Vizquel.

BLECHHHH.

When was the last trade between Epstein and KW?

Javier Lopez for David Riske?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1198260...re-stephen-drew

Looks like Drew has a mutual option for $10 million in 2012/13.

$1.3 million buyout.

Would be a one year rental, in all likelihood. I wouldn't give up Mitchell for him though, especially considering he would be going through a position change and moving from the NL to the AL, all in the heat of a pennant race.

Still, probably the most interesting name (along with Youkilis) mentioned so far. But what's his status healthwise, anyone follow the DBacks?