Sox lineup could have been EXTREMELY SCARY

Noonskadoodle

If Tank could have been adequate at 3b we could have had Quentin out in LF who is off to a 11 for 22 start with 4 homers, 4 doubles, & 8 RBIs hahaha.

Hard hittin Quentin doing some damage.

DeAza

Beckham

Dunn

Paulie

Quentin

AJ

Rios

Tank

Alexei

Lord have mercy hahaha

Well, that was definitely the original plan after 2008.

To shore up 3B with the departures of Crede and Uribe, and for Viciedo to be ready perhaps as early as the 2010 season.

Didn't exactly go according to plan in BIRM.

Throw in Tyler Flowers as the power-hitting catcher putting up 20-25 bombs, good defense and a .220ish average, definitely workable.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:15 AM)
According to twitter, Quentin has 5 HR, and 5 doubles in 5 games back.

Im pretty sure its 4 & 4.

Going back & watching his at bats with MLB TV shows that he is in that carry a team for a month mode. Just MURDERING everything in sight & when he gets like that he is one of the most feared hitters in the league ( as we all know).

Took Samardzija deep, Dempster twice, & tonight Lincecum.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:30 PM)
Im pretty sure its 4 & 4.

Going back & watching his at bats with MLB TV shows that he is in that carry a team for a month mode. Just MURDERING everything in sight & when he gets like that he is one of the most feared hitters in the league ( as we all know).

Took Samardzija deep, Dempster twice, & tonight Lincecum.

You are right. Buster Olney failed me.....

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Another hit for Carlos Quentin: In five games off the DL, he's got five double and five homers. Trade value soaring.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:56 AM)
You are right. Buster Olney failed me.....

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Another hit for Carlos Quentin: In five games off the DL, he's got five double and five homers. Trade value soaring.

Its no biggie since he blasted his 5th homer tonight anyway haha.

The man is sizzlin.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
Padres will surely turn around and trade Quentin at the deadline if he stays healthy. Good for Carlos, always enjoyed watching him play.

Yup you are most likely right.

We had a couple chances to get some very nice prospects for him, but an injury would always set him back.

Very few hit the ball as hard as he does tho & if he is tearing it up around the deadline the Padres could get a pretty nice haul for him.

As long as he doesn't make his way back to the AL Central as I could see the Indians looking for a right handed stick & they def have a plethora of young prospects. Would hurt seeing him in a Tribe uni.

Edited by Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 05:53 AM)
Padres will surely turn around and trade Quentin at the deadline if he stays healthy. Good for Carlos, always enjoyed watching him play.

Why did the Pads sign Quentin knowing they can't afford Quentin? Weird.

I wish we could bring him back. Rios is having a nice year, but it'd be nice to dump him and add CQ.

Just keep Quentin out of a Tigers & a Tribe uni around the deadline & I'll be happy.

Still crazy to think we could have had that lineup in the first post. Would have been a TOUGH lineup with numerous of players who can carry an entire lineup for awhile when others are struggling.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)
Why did the Pads sign Quentin knowing they can't afford Quentin? Weird.

I wish we could bring him back. Rios is having a nice year, but it'd be nice to dump him and add CQ.

They didn't, we traded him to them for Simon Castro and Pedro Hernandez in the winter.

Castro has been pretty good, although his home/away splits have been kind of drastic in AA.

Pedro hasn't been that great. Needs to strike out more guys, and walk less guys.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
We would have also been scrambling to cover him for the first two months of the season while he was hurt.

True, but I dont think Jordan Danks/Lillibridge/Fukudome could have been any worse than Morel/Hudson up to this point.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
True, but I dont think Jordan Danks/Lillibridge/Fukudome could have been any worse than Morel/Hudson up to this point.

Viciedo would have been way worse than Morel or Hudson at third, which would have really cut into the offensive differences.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
We would have also been scrambling to cover him for the first two months of the season while he was hurt.

Exactly. Carlos is good when healthy, yet never healthy. This board would have been b****ing up a storm for 2 months about Quentin being hurt and costing the team.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:11 PM)
If Tank could have been adequate at 3b we could have had Quentin out in LF who is off to a 11 for 22 start with 4 homers, 4 doubles, & 8 RBIs hahaha.

Hard hittin Quentin doing some damage.

How bad was Tank at third in '09? Never saw him. I would think they could have worked with him at third...

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
How bad was Tank at third in '09? Never saw him. I would think they could have worked with him at third...

It was hard to tell, really. Lots of wild throws, which is teachable but apparently not worth the growing pains

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Quentin gets hurt a lot, but he is a very, very good hitter.

This mostly sums it up. I would also add that he's a bit of a headcase and as much as he can help you with some great stretches like we're seeing with San Diego, he can kill you by losing it for a month.

In 2008, we all saw what max Carlos is capable of, amazing stats combined with ill-timed injury.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)

Can he play 3rd base? Count me in. THE Carlos Quentin returns.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Exactly. Carlos is good when healthy, yet never healthy. This board would have been b****ing up a storm for 2 months about Quentin being hurt and costing the team.

This and this.

/thread

The other thing worth mentioning here is that TCQ was traded to free up money. If we didn't trade him, it would have meant someone else would have gotten dealt. The guy cost $5 million last year, and guys in that salary range on the sox right now include Thornton, Crain, and AJ. If we had kept Carlos, one of those guys probably wouldn't be here this year. It could have also meant someone like Gavin Floyd or John Danks being dumped for a low price (remember Kenny looked at deals for them, but didn't like the offers he got).