Game Thread: TOR @ CHW, 6/6/12, 7:10pm

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 03:42 AM)
Andddddddddddddd....game.

Santiago really has no value whatsoever anymore to this team.

He's one of those guys in a few years when Reed and Jones hopefully are studs that we joke about how he was the closer for a month over those guys. That screwball is a mediocre pitch, and to be honest, the Sox should scrap it and work on other secondary pitches.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:45 PM)
Hector Santiago f***ing sucks

In all fairness, the last two games, you could say that about most of the players on our roster.

Lillibridge, Fukudome, Ohman, Stewart, Hudson, etc.

Viciedo's ice cold, Beckham's fallen off again, no Konerko...we're scuffling, but it's only 2 games. And we're still in first place. And Detroit's in much worse shape than we are.

Although the mysterious home woes continue again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
Well, whatever he threw for the homer, that most assuredly wasn't good.

Might as well let him go back down to start in the minors and give Quintana his spot for now.

Assuming Humber's not banished from the rotation soon.

How is he going to be a starter when he throws 25 pitches every inning?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 03:45 AM)
Hector Santiago f***ing sucks

He's only allowed one run all year prior to the 9th inning or later of a game. He can be a decent long reliever for this team right now. His biggest issue is that 1 out of every 10 righties he's faced this year has hit a homer off of him (5-50).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
In all fairness, the last two games, you could say that about most of the players on our roster.

Viciedo's ice cold, Beckham's fallen off again, no Konerko...we're scuffling, but it's only 2 games. And we're still in first place. And Detroit's in much worse shape than we are.

I'm not talking about the last two games. When has Hector Santiago been good? What has he had one or two good outings?

The Sox just don't need 3 lefties in the pen.

All season in games like this, where the Sox are trying to just stay in a game, we have to trot Santiago and Ohman out there for full innings because we can't waste or core bullpen guys in catchup games...and game in game out 2 run deficits turn into 5 and 6 run deficits and we can't even hope for a comeback.

Just get rid of one of them and bring up Bruney or Axelrod. They would have a better chance at holding the opposition than Santiago or Ohman.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
He's only allowed one run all year prior to the 9th inning or later of a game. He can be a decent long reliever for this team right now. His biggest issue is that 1 out of every 10 righties he's faced this year has hit a homer off of him (5-50).

He has a 96% strand rate. Do you know how insanely lucky that is? He's been worth -0.3 WAR this year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 03:47 AM)

People really shouldn't overreact about yesterday and today's game. We faced their two best pitchers (by far) with our #5 and someone who started the year in AA. Sox are without Konerko (Blue Jays are missing their best hitter on the season also though), which really illustrates just how much our bench players have absolutely sucked this season. Having to play Flowers against Morrow was an 0-3 waiting to happen. Tomorrow is a game the Sox should be much more competitive in, so hopefully they win 3 of next 4 before going to face some damn good pitching next week on the road.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
The Sox just don't need 3 lefties in the pen.

All season in games like this, where the Sox are trying to just stay in a game, we have to trot Santiago and Ohman out there for full innings because we can't waste or core bullpen guys in catchup games...and game in game out 2 run deficits turn into 5 and 6 run deficits and we can't even hope for a comeback.

Just get rid of one of them and bring up Bruney or Axelrod. They would have a better chance at holding the opposition than Santiago or Ohman.

I think they do. Once Robin starts heading out to the mound, he seems to wear out a path.

I don't believe that's the screwball he's getting hurt on. I think it's a changeup. The 76-79 pitch that breaks away from righties is the screwball, and he rarely throws it. It's clear that the move to the bullpen has cost him part, or perhaps all, of his repertoire. You'll see his fangraphs page calls its a split finger and you'll see the difference in his use this year compared to last.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

Guys, the rumors last week were that more than a 3rd baseman, the Sox were probably going to be looking for an experienced bullpen guy to help out. I disagree with this, as I think 3rd base is a much bigger concern for this team. However, if they stay in contention, we'll probably see a few new players added to the roster.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
Guys, the rumors last week were that more than a 3rd baseman, the Sox were probably going to be looking for an experienced bullpen guy to help out. I disagree with this, as I think 3rd base is a much bigger concern for this team. However, if they stay in contention, we'll probably see a few new players added to the roster.

I did read that bullpen rumor, but I think they need a starting pitcher more than a bullpen guy. Humber hasn't won a game in USCF in almost a year, and his ERA is around 6.00. Maybe they are thinking Quintana.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 03:55 AM)
I did read that bullpen rumor, but I think they need a starting pitcher more than a bullpen guy. Humber hasn't won a game in USCF in almost a year, and his ERA is around 6.00.

You hear what Mr. Funny Guy Ryan Dempster said today about being traded to the Sox? When asked by Waddle and Silvy about being traded to a team 10 miles south, he said something along the lines of "I didn't know there was a team there" or "what team".

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
You hear what Mr. Funny Guy Ryan Dempster said today about being traded to the Sox? When asked by Waddle and Silvy about being traded to a team 10 miles south, he said "I didn't know there was a team there".

He's 2-5 with a 5.03 ERA lifetime against the Sox. He hasn't fared too well against the AL.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
You hear what Mr. Funny Guy Ryan Dempster said today about being traded to the Sox? When asked by Waddle and Silvy about being traded to a team 10 miles south, he said "I didn't know there was a team there".

What a douchebag.