Brandon Allen DFA'd

Kyyle23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
@rmooneytrib: #Rays OF Brandon Allen has been reinstated from the DL and designated for assignment. 

3B option. Let's see how many unrealistic names we can try to stick at 3B which would be disasters.

Kind of like finding a "pure" leadoff hitter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
@rmooneytrib: #Rays OF Brandon Allen has been reinstated from the DL and designated for assignment. 

I guess all of the Allen hype can be buried now. I was rooting for the kid too. I lived in the town he grew up in down in TX for a few years and loved it down there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 01:13 PM)
I guess all of the Allen hype can be buried now. I was rooting for the kid too. I lived in the town he grew up in down in TX for a few years and loved it down there.

Brandon Allen career WAR: -0.1

Tony Pena WAR w/ Sox: 0.8

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
Ha, that's classic. For a trade that got repeatedly blasted, Kenny ended up winning it.

Winning a trade because a prospect flames out doesn't mean it was the best use of the asset. I don't care if Allen ever plays another game, I honestly believe KW targeted Pena and overpaid to get him.

But it's essentially $1.25 million because you'd have to pay someone the minimum salary for those three seasons on the roster, anyways.

So is 0.9 WAR difference worth $1.55 million?, is the question...

And the opportunity cost of not holding Allen back to include in a package for a better player than Pena.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
But it's essentially $1.25 million because you'd have to pay someone the minimum salary for those three seasons on the roster, anyways.

So is 0.9 WAR difference worth $1.55 million?, is the question...

And the opportunity cost of not holding Allen back to include in a package for a better player than Pena.

How do you know Allen was worth anything more than Pena? Maybe the rest of MLB saw the same thing the Sox did and wouldn't trade for him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
Ha, that's classic. For a trade that got repeatedly blasted, Kenny ended up winning it.

I really only liked Allen as a trade piece. I thought he would have made a nice piece to a deal for Halladay back when Doc was on the market. I just remember being made we traded him for a reliever.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
Great point. What's 1 WAR valued at these days?

It's usually about $5 million.

It's not hard for relievers to accumulate WAR though. They generally don't pitch a lot of innings and simply don't stick on the roster if they struggle badly enough and put up awful numbers unless they make a lot of money. I've never really ripped on the trade because I never really cared much for Brandon Allen, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't have rather seen him be traded for something else.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of any of the other trades Williams has made for mediocre middle relievers in the past. Williams was generally applauded for the Mike MacDougal trade and was then ripped when it looked like Dan Cortes was going to be a good arm and Lumsden had already been good in the Sox system as it was. At this juncture, who the f*** even cares about that trade anymore?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
It's usually about $5 million.

It's not hard for relievers to accumulate WAR though. They generally don't pitch a lot of innings and simply don't stick on the roster if they struggle badly enough and put up awful numbers unless they make a lot of money. I've never really ripped on the trade because I never really cared much for Brandon Allen, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't have rather seen him be traded for something else.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of any of the other trades Williams has made for mediocre middle relievers in the past. Williams was generally applauded for the Mike MacDougal trade and was then ripped when it looked like Dan Cortes was going to be a good arm and Lumsden had already been good in the Sox system as it was. At this juncture, who the f*** even cares about that trade anymore?

Or Masset, Sisco and Aardsma, etc.