Quintana - a good problem to have.

justBLAZE

Quintana puts Sox in a bind

By Scott Powers | ESPNChicago.com CHICAGO

-- Chicago White Sox rookie Jose Quintana has proven he can be a consistent major eague starter.

Quintana showed again Wednesday he had big league stuff, allowing two runs in six innings in a 4-0 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays. He has a 2.05 ERA in five appearances, which has included three starts and 22 innings.

That’s good and sort of bad for the White Sox.

The good is obvious. Every organization is looking for as many reliable starters as possible, and at 23 year old the left-handed Quintana could be one who stays around awhile.

The bad part is Quintana’s success presents a difficult upcoming decision. The White Sox have to figure out what to do with him when John Danks is healthy enough to return to the rotation, which is likely next week.

The easy decision is to send Quintana back down. He wasn’t expected to be in the rotation this season and could benefit from more instructional development. He hasn’t even pitched in Triple-A in his career.

But while that’s the simple move, it may not be the best move for this year’s White Sox, who appear as if they’re going to be in a pennant race this summer. The truth is Quintana has been more consistent than starters Gavin Floyd and Philip Humber of late. Quintana has given the White Sox a shot every time he’s pitched.

Humber has been either really good or really bad and has a 2-3 record with a 5.68 ERA in 10 starts. Floyd has allowed five or more runs in his last four starts and is 4-5 with a 5.32 ERA in 11 starts.

Floyd has had struggles before and has found ways to even out, so it’s unlikely the White Sox would put him in the bullpen. He’ll be given more time.

Humber is another tricky player. Although he’s had horrid outings, giving up five or more runs in four starts, he’s also been terrific and has had six starts in which he’s allowed three runs or less, including a perfect game. He’s what you often expect of a No. 5 starter.

The White Sox could find a spot for Quintana in the bullpen and use him as a long reliever and occasional starter, but that may get him less work than he could use right now.

White Sox manager Robin Ventura realizes the predicament Quintana is putting the organization in.

“He pitched great,” Ventura said. “He got a couple runs there, but he’s been impressive for us filling in for Johnny (Danks.) Tonight, he just continued to prove he’s going to get another shot. He’s proved he can pitch up here.

“Yeah, (it would be hard to send him down.) He’s done some good things for us. You’re always going to keep your eye on him.”

Quintana is a company man, or at least that’s what he said after Wednesday’s game.

“I do feel that I deserve at least staying here until Johnny comes back,” said Quintana through a team translator. “But it’s just one of those where I’m going to do as they ask me and just get out there and try to do the best when I am called upon.”

LINK.

What would you like to happen with Quintana as the season goes on?

He DESERVES to stay on the major league roster, so I'd send down either Santiago or Stewart to start in AAA.

However, probably what will happen is they'll send Quintana down to BIRM or CHAR and wait to see how things go with Danks, Humber and Floyd.

In order to be prepared to go back into the rotation again, he'll need to be getting starter's innings.

Funny, feels completely different from 2010 from when we ditched Hudson after 3 starts for Edwin Jackson. And yet this team has just as good an opportunity as that one did. Thankfully, it will be harder for KW to deal away a future frontline starter this time like Hudson to get this year's version of Edwin Jackson. And presence of Quintana kind of negates that getting a starter (for the time being) is an imperative.

We can still wait through most of June to make that decision.

Floyd is consistently inconsistent. That's what he does. He's bound to go on another run where his curve is biting and he carries the rotation for 6-7 starts.

Humber on the other hand doesn't really have a track record established. Last year he had an awesome first half followed by some bad starts more than likely do to fatigue from IP. Perhaps it's another dead arm period right now for him.

Having both of them step it up in the Summer will do wonders. As well as a John Danks popping 94 and spotting that change.

That or Kenny's gonna have to look for some help in the trade market. I don't even know if he has the pieces to get a guy like Dempster (him and his stand up routine aside)

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:29 AM)
Floyd is consistently inconsistent. That's what he does. He's bound to go on another run where his curve is biting and he carries the rotation for 6-7 starts.

Humber on the other hand doesn't really have a track record established. Last year he had an awesome first half followed by some bad starts more than likely do to fatigue from IP. Perhaps it's another dead arm period right now for him.

Having both of them step it up in the Summer will do wonders. As well as a John Danks popping 94 and spotting that change.

That or Kenny's gonna have to look for some help in the trade market. I don't even know if he has the pieces to get a guy like Dempster (him and his stand up routine aside)

I want nothing to do with Dumpster.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
I want nothing to do with posters that call Dempster "Dumpster"

Block me.

You hear what Mr. Funny Guy Ryan Dempster said today about being traded to the Sox? When asked by Waddle and Silvy about being traded to a team 10 miles south, he said something along the lines of "I didn't know there was a team there" or "what team".

He's such a nice and outstanding guy that Ryan Dempster. Ugh.

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)

Would be quite happy with 91-93 at this point.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)
LINK.

What would you like to happen with Quintana as the season goes on?

Send him down. Odds are we will need him as a starter as the season goes on. Between Sale and Peavy's arms, plus the random suckiness of Humber and Floyd, we could well need him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
Send him down. Odds are we will need him as a starter as the season goes on. Between Sale and Peavy's arms, plus the random suckiness of Humber and Floyd, we could well need him.

This.

Despite having absolutely no stuff, this guy is getting guys out. Impressive to say the least.

Plus, it's not like he's done this against horrible offensive teams. Cleveland, Tampa, and the Jays are all decent offensive teams.

His peripherals suggest he will regress, but somehow, I see this guy as somewhat of an outlier.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Despite having absolutely no stuff, this guy is getting guys out. Impressive to say the least.

Plus, it's not like he's done this against horrible offensive teams. Cleveland, Tampa, and the Jays are all decent offensive teams.

His peripherals suggest he will regress, but somehow, I see this guy as somewhat of an outlier.

Colombian Mark Buehrle

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:34 AM)
Block me.

He's such a nice and outstanding guy that Ryan Dempster. Ugh.

Dempster is a great guy. I worked with him when he was in the minors for the Marlins. You will not find a better guy or a more entertaining guy. He is just a goofy Canadian. One of my favorite professional athletes to work with of all time.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I'd love to see the Sox cut Ohman and put Quintana in the pen..

Lefties this year are hitting .140/.213/.209/.422 off him

Last year they hit .234/.299/.374/.673

2010 they hit .229/.323/.313/.636

So basically, Ohman has done a very good job against lefties over the last three seasons. Used as he should be, as a LOOGY, he gets the job done. I don't know why people keep clamoring for him to get the boot.

Quintana should not be in the bullpen, that's a bulls*** thing to do to his development. I am all for demoting Stewart, Santiago and calling up Bruney and a post-prospect age SP from AAA (can't think of the whole rotation right now). I think both of those kids need to be starting pitchers, I'm willing to bet at least one of them contributes to our MLB roster one day if we let them be starters.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Quintana should not be in the bullpen, that's a bulls*** thing to do to his development. I am all for demoting Stewart, Santiago and calling up Bruney and a post-prospect age SP from AAA (can't think of the whole rotation right now). I think both of those kids need to be starting pitchers, I'm willing to bet at least one of them contributes to our MLB roster one day if we let them be starters.

I see Hector becoming a legit starter, Stewart, not so much. I agree that we should be grooming Hector to be a possible starter next season.