Quintana - a good problem to have.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
Quintana should not be in the bullpen, that's a bulls*** thing to do to his development. I am all for demoting Stewart, Santiago and calling up Bruney and a post-prospect age SP from AAA (can't think of the whole rotation right now). I think both of those kids need to be starting pitchers, I'm willing to bet at least one of them contributes to our MLB roster one day if we let them be starters.

What more development does he actually need? He's proven he can get MLB hitters out. All he really needs is a spot in the rotation. Until that happens why not let him stay in the pen where he can continue to work on getting MLB hitters out. Staying in the minors and perfecting getting minor league hitters out won't really do him much good.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
What more development does he actually need? He's proven he can get MLB hitters out. All he really needs is a spot in the rotation. Until that happens why not let him stay in the pen where he can continue to work on getting MLB hitters out. Staying in the minors and perfecting getting minor league hitters out won't really do him much good.

When you need a spot start or two out of him, he won't be able to go as deep because he has been working in the bullpen. Sending him to the minors keeps his arm stretched out. With the state of the rotation currently, you need a 6th start ready to go.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
When you need a spot start or two out of him, he won't be able to go as deep because he has been working in the bullpen. Sending him to the minors keeps his arm stretched out. With the state of the rotation currently, you need a 6th start ready to go.

This is true to an extent. But that's not hurting his development. He'll learn more pitching against MLB hitters than MiLB hitters so his development will be enhanced if he stays up. If they use him as a long man out of the pen he'll still be ready for 4-5 innings when called upon.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
This is true to an extent. But that's not hurting his development. He'll learn more pitching against MLB hitters than MiLB hitters so his development will be enhanced if he stays up. If they use him as a long man out of the pen he'll still be ready for 4-5 innings when called upon.

You are definitely correct about his development. His pitching endurance and ability to go deep in a start is the one thing that would concern me.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
You are definitely correct about his development. His pitching endurance and ability to go deep in a start is the one thing that would concern me.

Actually, his "development' could be helped by going down to the minors as well, if part of his "Development" process were to involve working on or adding offspeed pitches. That's unlikely to happen at the big league level because you don't want to throw one and have it go Bautistsa distances.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
What the hell does this mean?

Peavy hasn't pitched 200 innings in a long time, coming back from injury. Sale has never pitched 200 innings in ML, Danks coming bak from injury and has been ineffective,

Going to a six man rotation protects your vulnerable pitchers and in this case gives you a chance to give Q some more starts. I wouldn't stay with a six rotation the rest of the season. it could also help you sort out your starters and then you can send one to the bullpen or Q back to minors.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Peavy hasn't pitched 200 innings in a long time, coming back from injury. Sale has never pitched 200 innings in ML, Danks coming bak from injury and has been ineffective,

Going to a six man rotation protects your vulnerable pitchers and in this case gives you a chance to give Q some more starts. I wouldn't stay with a six rotation the rest of the season. it could also help you sort out your starters and then you can send one to the bullpen or Q back to minors.

Or they throw in the towel on Humber.

But starting pitching's too valuable, and experienced SP moreso. Just can't imagine trying to compete for the division relying on the likes of Quintana, Axelrod and Castro for another 4 months.

Isn't that the whole reason that Hudson was dealt for Jackson?

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 10:56 PM)
Quintizzle has been more reliable than fricken floyd or humber. i wish floyd would have gotten his usual hot streak early so we could pawn his mental ass off for a 3rd baseman.

why.jpg