Ozzie Martinez outrighted off of 40 man

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...mp;feedID=10338

Sox clear space on 40-man roster, outright Martinez

June 6, 2012, 7:59 pm

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

Ozzie Martinez entered spring training competing for a bench role in the majors, but after hitting .184/.233/.248 over 40 games with Triple-A Charlotte, the White Sox out-righted the infielder according to MLB.com's Scott Merkin. The move takes Martinez off the 40-man roster, which now sits at 37.

Manager Robin Ventura said prior to Wednesday's game Kosuke Fukudome may need to go on the disabled list due to a rib injury, which would require the team to call up a replacement from the minors. None of Triple-A Charlotte's outfielders are on the 40-man roster, meaning they'll have to be added to it to join the 25-man major-league roster.

Jordan Danks, Greg Golson and Dan Johnson presumably would be the top candidates to be added and called up. Danks has tore up Triple-A pitching during his third season at that level, already hitting seven home runs with a .920 OPS and five stolen bases in 56 games. Golson, unlike Danks, has major-league experience but has just a .318 OBP with nine stolen bases for the Knights.

Johnson could be an interesting name, as he doesn't have much outfield experience but could get the nod if Paul Konerko's wrist bothers him for longer than expected. He probably could man the outfield on occasion, and he's absolutely killed the ball in Charlotte, mashing 14 home runs with a .986 OPS.

I wonder if they are making room for another acquisition that K.W. may have in mind.

Dan Johnson would be an intriguing possibility here in my mind (it's such a fine mind). Morel is not 100% yet and is not doing well in his rehab. Hudson is slowing down and not working out like he was in his first few games. Johnson ( I hear) can play 3rd base as well as 1st and the outfield. Could they have him in mind to play some 3rd and free Lilibridge up for more outfield play? How did Johnson's 3rd base experiment do in the minors?

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:26 AM)
Hopefully that is the case Dick. The only issue I have is I want to make sure Danks gets some playing time. He'll be a good fit for the club during interleague.

Playing time could be an issue though. They can't find much time for Lilibridge now, how are they going to be able to give Danks much time unless (by some miracle) thay have an offer on the table for Rios.....yeah right. I wouldn't think that they would want to bring Danks up just to have him take up space on the bench.

That's why I'm thinking that Johnson may be who they're looking at, especially if he is capable of playing a "respectable" 3rd base. Johnson, IMO, would be more likely to provide a little more offense than Danks would, especially when you consider who they would be replacing (Morell,Hudson over Viciedo, DeAza, Rios) in the lineup on any given day.

Edited by balfanman

Trib makes it sound pretty much a done deal:

Fukudome destined for DL: Reserve outfielder Kosuke Fukudome's rib cage injury is preventing him from performing baseball work and will likely force him to be placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Monday.

Outfielder Jordan Danks, the younger brother of John Danks, was expected to be promoted before Thursday night's game. Jordan Danks hit a three-run home run Wednesday night for Triple-A Charlotte, where he is hitting .302 with eight home runs and 28 RBIs.

The younger Danks will need to be placed on the 40-man roster, but the Sox's 40-man roster is at 37 after infielder Ozzie Martinez was outrighted.

Wow, Danks is ripping up AAA right now.

He's had great patience throughout his career, but the power is finally showing up.

I hope he's ready to not play everyday. :)

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Does anyone have the right to claim Ozzie or does this mean he's cleared waivers and all that?

It appears as if this has already been done. I know you have to pass through waivers to be removed from the 40 man, so he must have already cleared them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Wow, Danks is ripping up AAA right now.

He's had great patience throughout his career, but the power is finally showing up.

I hope he's ready to not play everyday. :)

Still striking out more than 25% of PA though, in his third year in AAA. I really don't think he's a starter, so I have no issue with him coming in as the 4th OF.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
Playing time could be an issue though. They can't find much time for Lilibridge now, how are they going to be able to give Danks much time unless (by some miracle) thay have an offer on the table for Rios.....yeah right. I wouldn't think that they would want to bring Danks up just to have him take up space on the bench.

That's why I'm thinking that Johnson may be who they're looking at, especially if he is capable of playing a "respectable" 3rd base. Johnson, IMO, would be more likely to provide a little more offense than Danks would, especially when you consider who they would be replacing (Morell,Hudson over Viciedo, DeAza, Rios) in the lineup on any given day.

Given how Lillibridge has played, I'm not surprised they haven't found much time for him. Lilli got hot last year but other then that, he's a pretty futal offensive player. And defensively, while he's very very capable of playing a whole lot of positions, Danks is a better defensive outfielder.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
Johnson, IMO, would be more likely to provide a little more offense than Danks would

I would think/hope Danks can put up better numbers than .164/.281/.323/.604 which is what Johnson has put up the last two years in the bigs as a bench player. He's the classic AAAA player.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
Given how Lillibridge has played, I'm not surprised they haven't found much time for him. Lilli got hot last year but other then that, he's a pretty futal offensive player. And defensively, while he's very very capable of playing a whole lot of positions, Danks is a better defensive outfielder.

True, but I think that a lot of Lilibridge, Fukudome, Escobars, & Flowers struggles have been because of almost no playing time. I would think that Danks, with his big swing, would suffer the same fate.

On a side note; I have no longing for Ozzie as manager, but I do think that one of his strengths was giving bench players some playing time. I hated the Sunday lineups as much as anyone, but at least when the need for a pinch hitter arises, the guys were not as cold as ice.

It wil be interesting to see Jordan Danks when he does play./ Not sure just how much time he will get though. Probably get some defensive replacement playing time and the one time a week or ten days insertion into the line up