GT: Houston Astros @ Chicago White Sox

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
You all hate our bullpen when our worst guys blow it but I never hear a peep when Jones-Thornton-Crain-Reed shut it down (may not be a better top 4 bullpen guys out there) and the rest of those guys are what you expect -- sometimes on, sometimes off. Paying much of anything for a bullpen arm would be very superfluous at this point. Brian Bruney is not a bad 5th reliever, might as well let him have that role. Usually Ohman does a good job against lefties, not tonight. Stewart does fine as a long man, but I wouldn't mind letting him start in the minors instead if we've got somebody else.

Sorry man...but as many games as Crain-Jones-Reed & company have nailed down, there have been a number of down 4-2, 5-3 type games that have turned to blowouts becuase Ohman, Santiago and Stewart can't hold a team down. A good team needs to take 8-10 of these type games a season. Holding leads our bullpen is fine. Helping us stay in a ballgame...no. It's not a complete or good bullpen until we don't have 4 guys in it that are Godawful.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 04:15 AM)
I'm going to the game tomorrow. This game sure was a total bummer though. After the nice win last night, you'd expect the team to come out and play well. Instead, we hit like s*** with RISP, make dumb mistakes in the field, and pitch like crap. SMH.

Probably be a good game tomorrow with Sale pitching. I would like to see that

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 04:20 AM)
How dare he reach base 3 times tonight. Konerko now 3 for his last 24, he must be auditioning for 3rd base.

He is an enigma for sure but if he doesn't K you might think he was sick or something :lolhitting

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
Being a baseball player's so tough. How can they handle it? They went to bed at 5 a.m. and have to work at 7 p.m.? Oh, the humanity!

They actually have to be at the park way earlier than that...point is still valid though.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
The more you think about it, if he's serious about trying to get this team into the postseason, then he needs to add another veteran righty reliever and a starting 3b.

Spot on.

Bring Youkilis in here and bat him second. Move Dunn to fifth. Move Beckham back down to eighth.

And anytime Alexei wants to take his head out of his ass will be fine with me. It's June, it's warm, no more excuses.

And bring in that other righty reliever, bring up another bullpen arm from the minors, and let Santiago and Stewart start in the minors.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
Being a baseball player's so tough. How can they handle it? They went to bed at 5 a.m. and have to work at 7 p.m.? Oh, the humanity!

Normally, they'd have to be there around 1 p.m.

Probably they skipped all the early drills and BP and rolled in around 330-430 p.m. today.

But if you really think players just show up at game time for any sport, well, I'm not sure what to say.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
Spot on.

Bring Youkilis in here and bat him second. Move Dunn to fifth. Move Beckham back down to eighth.

And anytime Alexei wants to take his head out of his ass will be fine with me. It's June, it's warm, no more excuses.

And bring in that other righty reliever, bring up another bullpen arm from the minors, and let Santiago and Stewart start in the minors.

Unless they're willing to take on more salary, how are they going to pull this move off?

Trade Floyd, Thornton or Crain? Well, then that just opens up holes in other places, although I'm almost willing to give another starter like Quintana a chance.

You'd hate to see them trade Mitchell just when he's finally coming into his own as a baseball player for a one year rental who's just as likely to produce like Manny Ramirez in 2010 than the Youkilis of old. Plus, defensively, he's far from a sure thing at this point in his career.

Williams is in a tough position on this one.

And I still don't believe the Red Sox will just give away Youkilis to a potential playoff rival this year.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
If they want more fans in the stands, put better players on the field.

It will be interesting to see if there's any type of bump up at all for Chris Sale starts.

If I was a Sox fan in the US, there's no way I would go to a Floyd/Humber home game over a Sale or Peavy one at this point...if I had to choose just one game to attend all season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:40 PM)
Normally, they'd have to be there around 1 p.m.

Probably they skipped all the early drills and BP and rolled in around 330-430 p.m. today.

But if you really think players just show up at game time for any sport, well, I'm not sure what to say.

I understand they have to show up early. My post was deliberately hyperbolic. With that said, those guys live a coddled life. They spent a few hours on a plane that probably had beds, woke up, rode in a car for 30 minutes and stayed in a hotel nicer than any I'll ever stay in. Then, they probably ate a great brunch, walked around Chicago a little and went to the ballpark. It's a tough life, really.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
About right.

Only the diehards. We're a first place team but the whole experience isn't worth the cost in this economy.

The weather was great, so that's no excuse.

Probably the dynamic pricing again, the fact that almost nobody in America knows any players on the Astros' roster, the fact that confidence wasn't very high with Gavin Floyd going.

We'll see what kinds of crowds we draw Sat and Sunday, especially tmrw afternoon. If we're not 25-30,000 for Chris Sale with a first place team in June, there's something seriously wrong.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
We'll see what kinds of crowds we draw Sat and Sunday, especially tmrw afternoon. If we're not 25-30,000 for Chris Sale with a first place team in June, there's something seriously wrong.

What concerns you so much about attendance?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
What concerns you so much about attendance?

Great, you're not concerned and I'm the only one, lol. Glad to see you're taking a more realistic view of this season and the financial profit/loss expectations.

KW can't be fired, because no amount of attendance will be disappointing.

Just remember that for the times during the rest of the season when the White Sox aren't in first place.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
Great, you're not concerned and I'm the only one, lol. Glad to see you're taking a more realistic view of this season and the financial profit/loss expectations.

KW can't be fired, because no amount of attendance will be disappointing.

Just remember that for the times during the rest of the season when the White Sox aren't in first place.

So the reason you are concerned with the attendance has to do with KW's job security? If the Sox continue to contend he deserves to be back regardless of the attendance.

Edited by Marty34