EJAX trade re-visited

chisoxfan09

It looks like the D-Backs really made out great in the Jackson trade if Hudson comes back to from and what can I say about Holmberg in advanced A. Really working out with a 6-3 RECORD, 2.99 era, and a very K9/BB9 rate. I expect him to jump to AA this year. I think he has added a few ticks to his FB as he was sitting at 88-90 as a teenager when we drafted him. He must have developed a plus second pitch or 2. Oh well, that is hindsight for you.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
You sure about that?

Games started with Arizona:

2010: 11.

2011: 33.

2012: 6.

11+33+6 = 50.

He hit the DL once, earlier this year, and is back, although his last outing was short/bad.

So yes, I'm sure, and I'm totally baffled as to why you'd ask. It's not like that's a hard stat to find.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Games started with Arizona:

2010: 11.

2011: 33.

2012: 6.

11+33+6 = 50.

He hit the DL once, earlier this year, and is back, although his last outing was short/bad.

So yes, I'm sure, and I'm totally baffled as to why you'd ask. It's not like that's a hard stat to find.

50 starts in less than a year would be like, a modern record. Over the last year and 1/3rd, he's been slightly above average. That's not the point though. 50 starts in less than a year is some Ed Walsh kind if s***.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
He's made 50 starts for Arizona in a little under 1 year, 10 months since being traded. Pretty often.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
You sure about that?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
50 starts in less than a year would be like, a modern record. Over the last year and 1/3rd, he's been slightly above average. That's not the point though. 50 starts in less than a year is some Ed Walsh kind if s***.

Ok, so your problem was you missed part of my first point. Check the bold.

There was nothing good about either E Jax trade. The DBacks were mired in an awful season, looking to dump salary with their 5+ ERA pitcher. Williams ends up giving them our top pitching prospect plus the top prospect in the low minors. Notably, the D Backs are Williams' top trading partner.

ONe year later, Williams is holding the top SP available at the deadline. He gets a career AAA pitcher from the Jays and a career middle reliever that we didn't need. Was this the result of Williams sending out his scouts to scour the farm system of potential trading partners (like he should have done)? This is the best he could do? Notably, Williams executed two more trades with the Jays.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
I can't believe we're bringing this up AGAIN. Seriously? Holmberg is in High A.

No doubt. This thread, why?????

The Gio trade (Swisher I, worse even than Swisher II) is far more painful, and stabs me with excruciating agony about every five days or so.

And I don't want to revisit that one either.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

Holmberg is in High-A at age 20. The bottom line (if I can borrow a phrase from Frank Thomas) is that it was an awful trade given the situation the Sox were in at the time.

Does that mean Holmberg and Hudson will haunt the Sox for the next decade? Maybe not. But for now, it doesn't look good.

But if the Sox win the World Series this year, they can hit the reset button and not care about any move made from November 2005 to October 2012.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
There was nothing good about either E Jax trade. The DBacks were mired in an awful season, looking to dump salary with their 5+ ERA pitcher. Williams ends up giving them our top pitching prospect plus the top prospect in the low minors. Notably, the D Backs are Williams' top trading partner.

ONe year later, Williams is holding the top SP available at the deadline. He gets a career AAA pitcher from the Jays and a career middle reliever that we didn't need. Was this the result of Williams sending out his scouts to scour the farm system of potential trading partners (like he should have done)? This is the best he could do? Notably, Williams executed two more trades with the Jays.

It's not quite fair to call Stewart a career AAA pitcher, although he hasn't pitched well for us and looks like a bust.

At the time, he had started a number of games for the Blue Jays at the major league level after having been converted from relieving.

Frasor wasn't a bad move...teams can always use veteran RH relief pitchers, but he also wasn't good for us. Once again, the Jackson trade as much as anything was about dumping Teahen from the roster, unfortunately. Without eliminating Frasor, maybe we can't afford Thornton, Crain or Floyd are already rebuilding right now.

Molina also doesn't look good, but where is Santos? With Reed and Jones, we had plenty of depth, it was worth the shot at adding to the starting rotation...so far, it hasn't really worked out for either team.

In the end, recovery moves like Humber, DeAza and Quintana, to name a few, have masked the botched moves. Along with Jones and Reed, Santiago and Axelrod have helped to fortify the bullpen. We weren't planning on using Molina until late this season, anyway. The risk on Viciedo looks to have been the right one. As a GM, you don't need every move to work out in your favor. Chris Sale becoming an ace and Jake Peavy returning to form make up for a lot of sins.