Would the White Sox be a serious pennant contender without Chris Sale

caulfield12

With Chris Sale still in the bullpen, what would our chances be?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Picks what you think would have happened...if Sale was still in the pen

• Still clearly the best team in the AL, first place team
    • In second place, struggling to find enough starting pitching...but looking to add pieces for this year
    • Second place, but fading and still in rebuilding mode for 2013 and beyond
    • Third place and below, the White Sox couldn't survive without Sale, and would inevitable fall back in the pack

A poll that makes no sense. One option says still clearly the best team in the AL, and I don't think anyone has claimed that. Another says still in a rebuilding mode. You even Mitt Romney your polls. Sill the best team in the AL, still in a rebuilding mode? Which one is it?

But I'm going with none of the above. They clearly would be in last place and in total denial. They probably would be double the amount of games played out of first place. Sale in the bullpen makes the impossible very possible.

Edited by Dick Allen

This "poll" is the result of the heat caulfield received for knocking Dan McNeil for being pessimistic about the White Sox. This guy thinks the entire team is only being kept from a total rebuild by Sale returning to the rotation. Wouldn't THAT be reason for pessimism?

Edited by Dick Allen

With an injured Danks and current down performances of Humber/Floyd, obviously we've needed this great run from Sale and Peavy to stay in it. However, I expect Floyd to get real hot soon and Humber to return to at least being an above average innings eater...and I think John Danks will be just fine based on what we hear from ptatc. Losing Sale in the future may not hurt as bad if those other parts of the rotation return to normal. It'll at least allow for a regression on the part of Chris, or perhaps just an unbelievable run from the Sox

It should read best team in the AL CENTRAL, but I couldn't edit it later, only a mod can do that.

It also should read "inevitably" as the fourth option.

Obviously, the White Sox are not better than the Rangers, that's a given.

I never said 4th or 5th place or the worst team, although the Royals and Twins (recently on an 8-2 run) are both back to being out of contention for the 1st pick in the draft next June.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 10:19 PM)
It should read best team in the AL CENTRAL, but I couldn't edit it later, only a mod can do that.

It also should read "inevitably" as the fourth option.

Obviously, the White Sox are not better than the Rangers, that's a given.

f*** the rangers!!!!!!! :gosox1:

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Uncle Jerry will probably demand that Chris Sale be shut down so he won't pitch the last month of the season and not win the Cy Young, so they won't have to pay him like a Cy Young award winner.

He's (Chris Sale) under team control through 2016, and won't be eligible for arbitration until after next season...however, they very certainly might look to buy out one or two years of free agency, like the Rays and Indians have typically done with their younger players.

Of course, the danger posed by not taking his contract on a year by year basis is that he'll lose at least a season or more to Tommy John surgery when/if his elbow goes out.

So all things considered, the White Sox are probably best off waiting until at least the end of 2013 before offering a long range deal to Sale...and that also gives them some time to see what direction the franchise and the Danks contracts are going.

I think the front office is much more afraid of an injury than having to reward Chris with a new contract or more money. JR doesn't mind paying performance at all, it's underperformance of free agents which tends to gall him the most.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
f*** the rangers!!!!!!! :gosox1:

They're back to back AL Champions, and honestly should have won a least one World Series title.

They deserve everyones' respect, until someone knocks them off. Not as much as we gave the Twins, but healthy respect for their accomplishments and front office acumen under Daniels/Ryan.

Can we compete with all the teams in the AL East, the Indians/Tigers and Angels? Sure, probably...as long as Peavy and Sale continue to pitch like aces.

Although, all things considered, it's hard to place a team with 3 starting pitchers in the 5.3+ ERA range as the best team in the AL.

We're also quite unlucky to get the Twins so many times now that they've risen from rock bottom. Two weeks ago, they were one of the worst teams in baseball. Now they're back to respectable and rising.

Edited by caulfield12

Sale legitimizes the team; he's a bonafide ace and star.

I can't believe that day or two when they were trying to f*** with his mind and make him a reliever again. Good thing everybody came to his senses.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
Uncle Jerry will probably demand that Chris Sale be shut down so he won't pitch the last month of the season and not win the Cy Young, so they won't have to pay him like a Cy Young award winner.

I hate people who think JR is cheap. When all he has done is proved over and over again that he is not.

The White Sox have only scored 63 runs in the 15 games started by Floyd/Quintana/Axelrod/Stults, for a 4.2 average.

In games started by their other four starters, they're averaging 4.98 runs scored.

That's 126 fewer runs over the course of a season.

In Sale's 11 starts, they've scored 57 runs, 5.2 runs.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
I hate people who think JR is cheap. When all he has done is proved over and over again that he is not.

Being smart with your money and business = cheap.

Also, forget the loyalty thing too.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:01 AM)
I thought it was pretty clear that I wasn't being serious.

I'm glad you put this, because some people would legitimately post that as a not joke.

It is a team effort. S'ace has been a large part of our success. But we have gotten contributions from everybody. PK is hitting close to .400, Adam Bomb is adambombin'. De Aza has been a spark in the leading spot.

If we didn't have CS, then KW could have made another trade for a starter. also Dr. Quin looks promising. also, Danks and Floyd and Humber are capable of pitching better.

according to ESPNs playoff odds - we have the highest % chance of making the playoffs of ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE

thats unreal - speaks more to the division than anything else i suppose

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 12:04 PM)
according to ESPNs playoff odds - we have the highest % chance of making the playoffs of ANY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE

thats unreal - speaks more to the division than anything else i suppose

And to the Sox having had an actually fairly tough schedule so far, getting rid of a lot of those games against Cleveland, Texas, LAA, maybe some others.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
It is a team effort. S'ace has been a large part of our success. But we have gotten contributions from everybody. PK is hitting close to .400, Adam Bomb is adambombin'. De Aza has been a spark in the leading spot.

If we didn't have CS, then KW could have made another trade for a starter. also Dr. Quin looks promising. also, Danks and Floyd and Humber are capable of pitching better.

Who was KW possibly going to trade to get another starter?

If anything, we were going to deal Floyd to build for the future in the offseason or at some point during this season.