Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

north side has two pitchers and we could use either own garza or dempster. north side is in full rebuilding mode. Are they interested in any of our lower level prospects. Also could look into three team trades.

Really no reason that we cannot trade with them. We don't compete directly with them.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 02:14 PM)
north side has two pitchers and we could use either own garza or dempster. north side is in full rebuilding mode. Are they interested in any of our lower level prospects. Also could look into three team trades.

Really no reason that we cannot trade with them. We don't compete directly with them.

I could see Mitchell being a good fit for Dempster, if Dempster hadn't repeatedly and strongly suggested he wouldn't want to play on the South Side. And I'll bet he has 10/5 rights.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
He most certainly has 10/5 rights.

Garza has a full 1.5 years before he hits FA, so it's hard to see why the Cubs couldn't get more than what the Sox's minor leagues could offer in return for him.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

I think that Humber's confidence level iis in the tank letdown fron the perfect game he threw. Or better yet he needs to go on the dl to straighten out some muscles or nerves that effect hsi pitching performance. He goes on the dl for a few we bring up the best we have from charlotte (Axelrod) . He makes some rehab starts and voila cy young Humber returns. Caution this reply may contain some wishful thinking

I realize the division is winnable, but I really don't want to see the organization making any short-sighted moves. I want our young guys to play and would support a trade, but we got to either be getting a great value in an expiring contract or a player who has a long term future with the franchise (in which case, I'm okay giving up a lot for them).

Axelrod and Doyle have been dominating in the AAA...why not trade Floyd for a 3B and go with Sale-Peavy-Danks-Q-Doyle/Axelrod???

Over their last 10 games Doyle has a 2.05 ERA and a sub 1 whip while Dylan has 2.71 ERA (which includes back to back games of giving up 5 & 7 runs) and a Whip barely above 1. Whats left for them to prove in AAA???

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
Axelrod and Doyle have been dominating in the AAA...why not trade Floyd for a 3B and go with Sale-Peavy-Danks-Q-Doyle/Axelrod???

Over their last 10 games Doyle has a 2.05 ERA and a sub 1 whip while Dylan has 2.71 ERA (which includes back to back games of giving up 5 & 7 runs) and a Whip barely above 1. Whats left for them to prove in AAA???

Serious questions:

1. Name a team and their 3b who would want floyd. Are you talking Youkilis? I'll admit, I'm starting to warm more to that idea, but still don't like it much.

2. How many more bad starts will it be before teams decide that Floyd is busting and might not be a good acquisition?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Serious questions:

1. Name a team and their 3b who would want floyd. Are you talking Youkilis? I'll admit, I'm starting to warm more to that idea, but still don't like it much.

2. How many more bad starts will it be before teams decide that Floyd is busting and might not be a good acquisition?

Good questions...dunno...you know if Floyd was available, we would probably interested...

If the Yankees made Phil Hughes available, we would probably be interested....not saying Hughes doesn't have more worth than Floyd...but I think they have similar types of issues.

Hopefully the start he made Friday shows he still is capable of some nasty stuff...and that the other issues can be fixed...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Good questions...dunno...you know if Floyd was available, we would probably interested...

If the Yankees made Phil Hughes available, we would probably be interested....not saying Hughes doesn't have more worth than Floyd...but I think they have similar types of issues.

Hopefully the start he made Friday shows he still is capable of some nasty stuff...and that the other issues can be fixed...

One big difference there is that Hughes is getting paid $3.2 million this year (and has 1 arbitration year left) while Floyd is getting $7 million this year with a $9.5 million team option, so it's harder for a team concerned about salary to risk taking him on. If you trade for him and he puts up an ERA of 7.5 down the stretch, you're not picking up that option and then he's gone for nothing, but if you do pick up that option, you risk getting this Floyd next year for $9.5 million, which doesn't sound too nice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Serious questions:

Honestly now that I look at it I'm not really sure who sans Youk works....For Floyd anyway. Headley would make sense but not for Floyd. Maybe one of Axe/Doyle and Tflow/Phegley might work for SD.

A pipe dream would be Mike Olt from Texas but I can't see that happening without Tank being involved.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)

Going with two of Quintana, Doyle, & Axelrod is a terrible idea if you're trying to compete.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Honestly now that I look at it I'm not really sure who sans Youk works....For Floyd anyway. Headley would make sense but not for Floyd. Maybe one of Axe/Doyle and Tflow/Phegley might work for SD.

A pipe dream would be Mike Olt from Texas but I can't see that happening without Tank being involved.

No way San Diego is going to make a deal that inovlves them taking on like $10 million in salary over the next 2 years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Going with two of Quintana, Doyle, & Axelrod is a terrible idea if you're trying to compete.

If theyre better than Phil and Gavin who cares who they are....What do Axe and Doyle have left to prove in the minors??

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
No way San Diego is going to make a deal that inovlves them taking on like $10 million in salary over the next 2 years.

Re read what I said....I said not for Floyd... Axe/Doyle and TFlow/Phegley is what I said for Chase.

Past Youk I cant see a trade that would get us a 3B for Floyd

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
Re read what I said....I said not for Floyd... Axe/Doyle and TFlow/Phegley is what I said for Chase.

Past Youk I cant see a trade that would get us a 3B for Floyd

I don't think that's anywhere near what the Padres will be asking for Headley.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:55 PM)

Axelrod, Doyle, & Phegley don't have a ton of value. Neither does Flowers, although his physical tools make him more attractive than the other three IMO. None of these guys are going to be the centerpiece for a player like Headley.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Axelrod, Doyle, & Phegley don't have a ton of value. Neither does Flowers, although his physical tools make him more attractive than the other three IMO. None of these guys are going to be the centerpiece for a player like Headley.

Anyone could have had Doyle on waivers at the end of spring training when he ended up back with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:27 PM)
If you want to win this year deal Viciedo for a starter and trade for Youk.

Sounds like a terrible idea. Who plays in the outfield then? Last I looked, Viciedo was one of the big reasons the club is where it is. He's 23, can rake, and is cost controlled for a long time. Trading guys like that, especially given the overall lack of any sort of position prospect in our system who could even come close to replacing him in the next year, would just be asinine.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Sounds like a terrible idea. Who plays in the outfield then? Last I looked, Viciedo was one of the big reasons the club is where it is. He's 23, can rake, and is cost controlled for a long time. Trading guys like that, especially given the overall lack of any sort of position prospect in our system who could even come close to replacing him in the next year, would just be asinine.

Well, who replaces Peavy next year?

Anyway, I think this rotation could have a rough time in over the next 6 weeks or so if something isn't done. They should take full advantage of the season Sale is having by making every effort to get to the postseason this year. A top 4 of Sale, Peavy, Grienke, and Danks could win the Sox another title. Youk replaces Viciedo in the lineup, Danks/Lillibride replaces Hudson in the lineup and platoon in CF with De Aza moving to LF.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
If you want to win this year deal Viciedo for a starter and trade for Youk.

I'm all for making moves this year to improve, but under no circumstance do you cripple your future to do so. Trading Viciedo would be exactly that kind of move. Honestly, I think starting pitching is going to be too expensive for our blood. I'd rather consider giving Quintana an extended look or call up Axelrod and then move Humber to bullpen. I think Danks will be more than fine as our #3 the rest of the way and Floyd will most likely turn around at some point. If so, we only need a 5th starter that doesn't completely throw away games IMO.

I still think a move Youkilis makes the most sense, but obviously the price would have to right and Gavin would be a terrible overpay.

Then, we DEFINITELY would be looking at 4-5 years of rebuilding, and there's zero guarantee we'd get anywhere because we don't have a replacement for Viciedo's bat, nor do we have a solution for when we have to shut Sale down later in the season.

Then next year, you can turn around and say KW was "all in" and failed again, therefore he has to go, etc.