Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
C'mon Da GM.. get us another starter to play with. 3rd base can wait. And I agree that Stewart should be replaced on this roster. I say with DA.

You want to replace Stewart with Dick Allen? :o

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:02 PM)
I hope Stewart is DFA's or optioned to minors after tonight.

He's awful. He's got such vanilla stuff with little to zero movement, its disgusting. I don't know who the hell thought he was any good. Didn't take much time watching to realize there is nothing above average about him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:15 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,2642783.column

The inevitable "maybe we should bring Mark Buehrle back" column by Phil Rogers.

Well, in Rogers' defense (shudder), he didn't really say the Sox should think about bringing him back. He was just stating that the Sox could use a guy like Buehrle...innings eater, sturdy, reliable. And of course, we all say, "No duh."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 06:15 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,2642783.column

The inevitable "maybe we should bring Mark Buehrle back" column by Phil Rogers.

Well, the Marlins will be trying to trade him either this offseason or next year, so it's at least an option if we want to light money on fire.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 01:08 AM)
Well, the Marlins will be trying to trade him either this offseason or next year, so it's at least an option if we want to light money on fire.

You mean if Loria wants to take a short-term loss by subsidizing the deal (ala Javy or Contreras) or they want to risk greater losses on the back end.

They will be the ones burning one safehouse (Fast Five movie analogy) in order to prevent a total loss in the end.

How many MLB teams would pick up that Buehrle contract if it was made available, ala Rios in 2009?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
You mean if Loria wants to take a short-term loss by subsidizing the deal (ala Javy or Contreras) or they want to risk greater losses on the back end.

They will be the ones burning one safehouse (Fast Five movie analogy) in order to prevent a total loss in the end.

How many MLB teams would pick up that Buehrle contract if it was made available, ala Rios in 2009?

Considering no one else bid near that high over the winter, and it is backloaded? None.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
I think Loria was hoping for a title run and then finding a buyer to pay a premium price.

It's not the first time they've done that. Take a look at the contract they signed Delgado to:

2005 (Marlins): 4000000

2006 (traded to Mets): $13,500,000

2007: $14,500,000

2008: $16,000,000

2009: $12,000,000

That's 5 years, $60 million, with the latter 80% being 4/$56. The Marlins sent along $7 million to make the deal happen.

I am not expecting KW to get another starter. We might not have enough to trade. And with the extra Wildcard there are going to be more buyers and less sellers.

Have to hope for best case scenario with this rotation. Hopefully GF and PH improve and everybody else stays the same. No need to rush Danks, but if he comes backs and is serviceable that gives up six starters. DA could also be given a look.

We just need our current rotation to make it to September. We might have to protect and rest Sale even before September. But we can call up some extra pitchers in September. Floyd really is the only starter who could get 200 innings. Thus we are going to need an extra starter at some point (could be DA or DAnks coming back).

But a deal for another reliable starter would be sweet.