Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:15 AM)
Except by that line of thinking, DJ Carasco should have been named a starting pitcher, or Tony Pena.

There's a big difference pitching in blowouts when the other team is often looking to catch a flight out of town or make their dinner plans, compared to the pressure of starting a game against a good major league team.

There's really no comparison.

It would be like saying you could take Wil Ohman and he would be a better starter than Humber because his ERA is lower, too.

It's much more instructive to look at Stewart's body of a work as a starter last year in the majors or as a starter even in spring training, as opposed to extrapolating any type of positivity out of him being a member of the starting rotation anywhere but Charlotte or Birmingham right now.

To clarify my argument had nothing to do with Zach going to the rotation nor was I really saying Zach is better than Phil.

Basically what my point is, is that MLB long relievers are not good so quite crying about Stewart giving up a run or 2 in a game thats out of reach and when Phils the Long reliever and gives up some runs dont b**** then either (not you specifically)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't very lomg ago that I saw people suggesting that the Sox go to a 6 man rotation because we had so many starters. Humber and Floyd are just in a bad stretch right now and every time they make a bad pitch it is getting hit over the fence. Floyd has definitlely earned the right to work through it. Humber is on a shorter leash but he has shown he can get the job done. Unless a proven MLB starter is acquired through a trade, I would give these guys some more time before I start counting on a guy like Quintana. He has pitched well but the league will get a firmer scouting report on him and we'll see how he does.

When Danks gets healthy, I still the Sox have as good a staff an anyone in the division. If Floyd goes on a typical hot strecth, their pitching can match up with anybody in the AL.

It's easy. Stewart goes to AAA. And Humber becomes the long man. We ride Quintana as a starter until it looks like he can't perform up to Major League-caliber. Then, re-explore our options after that. Sale-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Quintana when Danks comes back.

This. Exactly.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
I hope our starters throw CG shutouts but enough of these no-hitters/perfect games. Pitchers tend to suck awhile after throwing them.

I'm trying to take something positive out of Humbers results recently. At least this time, after throwing a no hitter / perfect game, just the pitcher went bad, not the whole team.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Listening to Stone on with M&H- how did Zack Greinke's name get mixed up into all of this?

He's a starter who has a chance of being available, and every starter with a chance at being available will be linked with the Sox until something happens.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Yeah, just heard this. What?

Let's go get him! They can have Humber and Stewart.

I just heard Humber on the Score say that homeruns happen in our ballpark in the summer. Weird, Sale didn't give up any on Saturday?!?

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)

I just heard Humber on the Score say that homeruns happen in our ballpark in the summer. Weird, Sale didn't give up any on Saturday?!?

Hitting them into section 357 usually doesn't happen. They all count the same, but that one was impressive.

Humber can talk about the park, but he hasn't won there in a year and has an ERA there over 6.00.

I really think if he didn't throw a perfect game, he would be a candidate for a release. He's been awful.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
In case people want the link, here's his Hittrackeronline page with that HR now listed. True distance listed at 443. Not actually his longest of the year even.

Yes, but rarely does a ball go that far right down the line. Guys hit lazy fly balls to CF that would be halfway up the seats down the line. I had never seen a fair ball go into the club level.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Yes, but rarely does a ball go that far right down the line. Guys hit lazy fly balls to CF that would be halfway up the seats down the line. I had never seen a fair ball go into the club level.

Wasn't saying it wasn't impressive. Apparently this dude has some serious power.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)

Yeah, I saw him talking about that. Even if balls fly a little further at the Cell he was still throwing pitches that were easy to hit. I could have probably driven one of his pitches to the warning track yesterday.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
We're not getting Zack Greinke...dream on.

Can you imagine our rotation with him? Holy fing f***. We just don't have the farm system to do it.

I dunno about that...you'd only be getting him for about 20 starts or so...

I'm sure they'd be asking for Dayan Viciedo + though.

I refuse to panic. Moves need to be thought out and be rational. I trust that Mr Coopert and Mr Ventura are working on our scuffling Humber and Floyd. They both have the stuff and perhaps it is mechanical and can be corrected with some work. Let's see what happens in particular with Phil's next start

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
I refuse to panic. Moves need to be thought out and be rational. I trust that Mr Coopert and Mr Ventura are working on our scuffling Humber and Floyd. They both have the stuff and perhaps it is mechanical and can be corrected with some work. Let's see what happens in particular with Phil's next start

Maybe Cooper is the new Walker.

It appears in all of baseball that so many guys have their first successful season as a starter and now get hammered when the league gets a second look.

As for Greinke, he's a former Royal, a little over rated and the Sox have nothing to trade. They will be back to that "try to get the missing piece during the season" only to fall short and a future depleted.

Edited by kitekrazy

This is still a club that is trying to build for the future. Giving any non-veteran away is crazy and short sighted...I'll be disappointed if we do it. We need to be adding young players/prospects, not subtracting them.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
This is still a club that is trying to build for the future. Giving any non-veteran away is crazy and short sighted...I'll be disappointed if we do it. We need to be adding young players/prospects, not subtracting them.

It depends on where they are a month from now. If you have an opportunity to enhance an already-good team, you do it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)

I'm not so sure about that...with the way Rios/Dunn/Peavy are playing right now, we should be playing for now...building for the future was based on those three not performing...now they are...so the future is now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
I'm not so sure about that...with the way Rios/Dunn/Peavy are playing right now, we should be playing for now...building for the future was based on those three not performing...now they are...so the future is now.

The biggest problem with looking to be major buyers at the deadline is that our 3 biggest pieces are Reed, Sale, and Viciedo, and teams aren't likely to give up a Greinke without asking for one of those, given our system. Unless the Brewers are in love with Mitchell and pull a Kenny Williams in giving up Greinke for a guy they love, we're going to have to be content with small scale upgrades.

I'm not a fan of trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline in general and with the added wildcard slot I'd imagine the price will shoot even higher. I'd rather focus our efforts on whether O-Dog can hold down third base or if there's a cheaply had 3B available.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
Maybe Cooper is the new Walker.

It appears in all of baseball that so many guys have their first successful season as a starter and now get hammered when the league gets a second look.

As for Greinke, he's a former Royal, a little over rated and the Sox have nothing to trade. They will be back to that "try to get the missing piece during the season" only to fall short and a future depleted.

Greinke is far from overrated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:45 AM)
The biggest problem with looking to be major buyers at the deadline is that our 3 biggest pieces are Reed, Sale, and Viciedo, and teams aren't likely to give up a Greinke without asking for one of those, given our system. Unless the Brewers are in love with Mitchell and pull a Kenny Williams in giving up Greinke for a guy they love, we're going to have to be content with small scale upgrades.

It will definitely be a big decision. Sale is by far worth more than Greinke already, so he's obviously off the table. Reed and another piece is the type of deal I could see them asking for...or Viciedo and a slightly lesser piece. Keep in mind you are only getting this guy for a half season.

One deal I could see happening is something like Nate Jones and Mitchell for him.