Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
And the Uruguayan rugby team in the Andes...they had to do a complete rebuild after they ate one another.

Edit: This is in terribly poor taste, but I think the team would understand it is necessary to make the point to Caulfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Uruguayo_de_Rugby

Very bad example. Old Christians was like the NY Yankees of Uruguyan rugby.

They won the championship again the next season, after the 1972 crash. Look at all their championships in the 1970's, they were actually better AFTER the crash.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Uruguayo_de_Rugby

Very bad example. Old Christians was like the NY Yankees of Uruguyan rugby.

They won the championship again the next season, after the 1972 crash. Look at all their championships in the 1970's, they were actually better AFTER the crash.

Just goes to show you there isn't all that much to worry about!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
And the Uruguayan rugby team in the Andes...they had to do a complete rebuild after they ate one another.

Edit: This is in terribly poor taste, but I think the team would understand it is necessary to make the point to Caulfield.

Except Chris Sale, because there would be no point in eating him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
This depends...was Kenny on the charter?

If he was, then I want Kim Ng, just to prove a woman can use the same tools at everyone's disposal to win a World Series title.

We're always on the cutting edge in this department.

It will be interesting to see which comes first, female president or female GM.

The president part COULD come as early as 2016 or not in my lifetime, more or less 30-40 years from now...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
If he was, then I want Kim Ng, just to prove a woman can use the same tools at everyone's disposal to win a World Series title.

We're always on the cutting edge in this department.

It will be interesting to see which comes first, female president or female GM.

The president part COULD come as early as 2016 or not in my lifetime, more or less 30-40 years from now...

And in a stunning twist, Caulfield changes the subject from baseball rebuilding humor to discussing the first female President!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
And in a stunning twist, Caulfield changes the subject from baseball rebuilding humor to discussing the first female President!

Well, we already had cannibalism and Kenny Williams piloting a plane in a scene out of Eight Below or The Grey, lol.

Marcum, Greinke, DeLaRosa or Liriano?

I'd go for DeLaRosa because he has an $11 million option for next year, so he won't cost nearly as much...on the other hand, it's like acquiring another version of Gavin Floyd, mentally.

However, I have faith that Cooper can, at least in the short-term, maxmimize results from nearly every pitcher with pretty good stuff...at least starting pitchers.

Liriano would be awfully tempting, but you'd be buying high after just 2-3 starts and could just as easily see him crater and take down your entire team behind in the wake. However, just from a fan's perspective and someone who is sick and tired of seeing Floyd and Humber get their brains get beaten in, I'd love to see what happens when you pair Cooper with Liriano and also have AJ, Sale and Danks around him as a support group.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
Well, we already had cannibalism and Kenny Williams piloting a plane in a scene out of Eight Below or The Grey, lol.

Marcum, Greinke, DeLaRosa or Liriano?

I'd go for DeLaRosa because he has an $11 million option for next year, so he won't cost nearly as much...on the other hand, it's like acquiring another version of Gavin Floyd, mentally.

However, I have faith that Cooper can, at least in the short-term, maxmimize results from nearly every pitcher with pretty good stuff...at least starting pitchers.

Liriano would be awfully tempting, but you'd be buying high after just 2-3 starts and could just as easily see him crater and take down your entire team behind in the wake. However, just from a fan's perspective and someone who is sick and tired of seeing Floyd and Humber get their brains get beaten in, I'd love to see what happens when you pair Cooper with Liriano and also have AJ, Sale and Danks around him as a support group.

I'd love Liriano...especially since he could probably learn some things since he has a very similar repertoire to Sale...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
I'd love Liriano...especially since he could probably learn some things since he has a very similar repertoire to Sale...

This "What's wrong with Liriano" fangraphs piece is worth adding to the list. I'll highlight the buried lede:

This season, there’s just one problem — beyond location — that is. He’s lost two MPH off that two-seamer — across the board, really — from 2010 and that combined with spotty location is why Liriano is not only walking more guys than he’s fanning, but also getting flat out pummeled (in a smaller sample size, LHH are actually hitting Liriano harder).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)
This "What's wrong with Liriano" fangraphs piece is worth adding to the list. I'll highlight the buried lede:

I refuse to buy into the velocity being a huge reason...you don't need to throw the ball 92+ to pitch with his stuff. What he needs is consistency...his stuff is easily good enough to win even with a sub-90 fastball.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
What's his average velocity his last three starts, since he returned from the pen?

Keep in mind, the Twins are still "only" 8 1/2 games back of the Sox and far from out of it completely.

17 2/3

11 hits

5 ER

6 BB (very low for him)

23 K's

1.96 ERA

3201_P_FA_20120610.png

Liriano might be going from invisible/out of baseball to the most valuable trading chip in all of baseball...although his track record since surgery suggests it won't last, there's nothing like Free Agency to stir a player's competitive juices (see Pierzysnki, AJ, or Hamilton, Josh).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
I refuse to buy into the velocity being a huge reason...you don't need to throw the ball 92+ to pitch with his stuff. What he needs is consistency...his stuff is easily good enough to win even with a sub-90 fastball.

It's one thing to never have the velocity. It's another thing to have the velocity and lose it. Most pitcher's can't adapt and reinvent themselves when they lose their velocity. I wouldn't touch Liriano with a 10 ft. pole.

One thing the Sox could do is move Floyd for prospects and then flip those prospects for a guy like Volquez. You're still going to have a hole in the rotation, but Volquez probably has more upside than Floyd. I don't see it happening though.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:15 AM)
It's one thing to never have the velocity. It's another thing to have the velocity and lose it. Most pitcher's can't adapt and reinvent themselves when they lose their velocity. I wouldn't touch Liriano with a 10 ft. pole.

One thing the Sox could do is move Floyd for prospects and then flip those prospects for a guy like Volquez. You're still going to have a hole in the rotation, but Volquez probably has more upside than Floyd. I don't see it happening though.

We could give SD their own prospects back for Volquez ;)

Here is my new slogan until something changes: There needs to be a rotation to the rotation.

So Dempster is a true blue... boo blood. Then he can have fun being on the only 6th place team in the ML.

Looking like we don't have too many options. All of our potential trading chips are ones that we using to help this team now. Just have to hope that our starters pitch better. That would be the best solution. Cooper has to take some of the responsibility in this. c'mon Cooper fix the starters who are lagging.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
Here is my new slogan until something changes: There needs to be a rotation to the rotation.

So Dempster is a true blue... boo blood. Then he can have fun being on the only 6th place team in the ML.

Looking like we don't have too many options. All of our potential trading chips are ones that we using to help this team now. Just have to hope that our starters pitch better. That would be the best solution. Cooper has to take some of the responsibility in this. c'mon Cooper fix the starters who are lagging.

Dempster has flat out said he doesn't want to play for the White Sox.

Lets hope Quintana has another solid performance. Floyd usually gets going this time of year and we know he can really get nasty once he gets going. Humber is having some confidence issues and I'm starting to doubt him. That said, his issue has been consistency, he's had a decent number of quality starts for a 5th starter (which is what he currently is).

The big thing about the Sox is, the rotation should get improvements out of Floyd, Danks, and Humber. I really think Peavy is what we are seeing so I expect him to remain consistent (unless he gets hurt, which is always possible) and to be frank, Sale has to see some struggles. Plus there is the whole innings limit on him. I was stunned when I watched some video of him and Johnson. Their deliveries are incredibly similar.

Lets hope Quintana has another solid performance. Floyd usually gets going this time of year and we know he can really get nasty once he gets going. Humber is having some confidence issues and I'm starting to doubt him. That said, his issue has been consistency, he's had a decent number of quality starts for a 5th starter (which is what he currently is).

The big thing about the Sox is, the rotation should get improvements out of Floyd, Danks, and Humber. I really think Peavy is what we are seeing so I expect him to remain consistent (unless he gets hurt, which is always possible) and to be frank, Sale has to see some struggles. Plus there is the whole innings limit on him. I was stunned when I watched some video of him and Johnson. Their deliveries are incredibly similar.

To be frank, I still think this rotation will be fine. This is a long season and if Danks is healthy, he'll be fine and Floyd has a run in him. Those pitching even close to their capabilities make this rotation a lot better. Floyd's curve looked a lot better and usually it is at its best in the summer.

To be frank, the only thing I'd consider is making a move after Floyd gets hot and that move would be a lateral one where you move Floyd for someone who could help the Sox long-term at 3rd base. Or for a lesser starter plus a guy who you think could help them at 3rd base. I really don't see the point in making any major moves this year, unless they are ones that make you younger and better long-term and work towards the Sox long-term plan, which is really building this team around the likes of Sale & Viciedo (and hopefully winning some playoffs series while Konerko/Dunn are still in form too).