Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
He was given a chance to make the team with the Twins in Spring training or be lost back to the White Sox, and he couldn't even make the Twins bullpen. He put up an ERA of 16+ in his few A game appearances.

I won't be mad if he gets a chance to perform with the Sox this year, and I'll be thrilled if he comes out and has success, but understand, guys like this are a dime a dozen. We have 2 or 3 of them every year, guys who are now old for AAA but put up decent numbers for that league. Occasionally they turn into a useful bullpen piece or even a starter. But in terms of trade value...they're not worth anything until they seriously prove something at the big league level. You can find the equivalent of a Doyle on the waiver wire at least a dozen times during the year.

If you want him to have legit trade value, then you need to put him at the big league level and give him 10-20 starts to see if his AAA performance is anything real. Of course, if it isn't, then you're costing yourself a shot at the division.

He never pitched above AA when he went into spring training. It's very possible he wasn't ready for the bigs yet. With his walks way down in AAA from years past I don't see anything that screams AAAA to me.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)
He never pitched above AA when he went into spring training. It's very possible he wasn't ready for the bigs yet. With his walks way down in AAA from years past I don't see anything that screams AAAA to me.

If the Twins saw anything in him, they would have kept him. this is a throw away year for them. Holding on to one overmatched guy for a year if he is a fit down the road would have been worth it to them. The entire rest of MLB felt the same way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
Dempster has flat out said he doesn't want to play for the White Sox.

When did he say this? I heard he has recently implied we would be one of his first choices...could this have been related to our former manager?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
If the Twins saw anything in him, they would have kept him. this is a throw away year for them. Holding on to one overmatched guy for a year if he is a fit down the road would have been worth it to them. The entire rest of MLB felt the same way.

Didn't the Twins have to put him on the 40 man if the wanted to keep him?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)

He was the 2nd pick of the Rule 5 draft so the only other team that felt the same way that we know we're the Astros

I dont know if you've noticed but the Twins bullpen is actually pretty solid

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
They had to keep him on the 25 man roster...the whole year...he wasnt ready for that

He's 26. If you say he's not ready to be on the roster now, I don't know what you're arguing. By your own admission, he's not ready yet.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
[/b]

He was the 2nd pick of the Rule 5 draft so the only other team that felt the same way that we know we're the Astros

I dont know if you've noticed but the Twins bullpen is actually pretty solid

He had to pass through MLB waivers to get offered back to the White Sox for $25k

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
25 man roster. Which in a year they were projected to lose 100 games, doesn't matter if you think you are getting a starting pitcher.

Hell, it wouldn't matter if they thought he could have hung on as the 5th guy out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
He's 26. If you say he's not ready to be on the roster now, I don't know what you're arguing. By your own admission, he's not ready yet.

Yes he's 26 but he's only spent 4 years in the minors.

Jake Peavy spent 4 years in the minors.

Gavin Floyd 6 years

John Danks 4 years

I said he wasn't ready to make the bigs out of spring training.

His past 10 starts he's 6-2 66 IP 37 hits 16 walks 64 Ks with a 2.05 ERA and a .165 BAA

I know he won't post those numbers in the bigs but it sure looks like he should be in the convo of making a few starts in the bigs

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 02:48 PM)
Yes he's 26 but he's only spent 4 years in the minors.

Jake Peavy spent 4 years in the minors.

Gavin Floyd 6 years

John Danks 4 years

I said he wasn't ready to make the bigs out of spring training.

His past 10 starts he's 6-2 66 IP 37 hits 16 walks 64 Ks with a 2.05 ERA and a .165 BAA

I know he won't post those numbers in the bigs but it sure looks like he should be in the convo of making a few starts in the bigs

If we need a few starts, sure, give him a shot. If we think he can handle the long relief role better than Stewart, great, let's try it. If we're trying to win the division, are we going to trade away a starter to clear a space for him and be put in a spot where the team sinks or swims based on his performance? Unwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
If we need a few starts, sure, give him a shot. If we think he can handle the long relief role better than Stewart, great, let's try it. If we're trying to win the division, are we going to trade away a starter to clear a space for him and be put in a spot where the team sinks or swims based on his performance? Unwise.

Doyle is headed to Japan. Good luck to him!

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 11:39 PM)
I see no news on this anywhere.

I saw a brief liner from some random website, but that's about it. Very curious time for him to decide this. After almost throwing a no-hitter, and having a great season. I figured he would wait until he struggles enough, or maybe until after the trade deadline to see if he gets moved anywhere.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 12:51 AM)
I saw a brief liner from some random website, but that's about it. Very curious time for him to decide this. After almost throwing a no-hitter, and having a great season. I figured he would wait until he struggles enough, or maybe until after the trade deadline to see if he gets moved anywhere.

His 2nd near No No this year...

Hope its not true as I am still failing to see the AAAA label

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what Doyle did in his first 2 spring training games?? I just see the line from his last game where he gave up 8 in 2/3 of an inning. Just read that there was a play that should have been made to limit some of the damage.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

"He's proving he can pitch up here," Ventura said. "Again, his maturity is one of those things that shows up first for us. He has great stuff, and when he does what he's doing right now, he's making a strong case for staying around."

First baseman Paul Konerko, who hit three singles, echoed Ventura.

"He's one of those left-handers who can really bury the ball in on righties," Konerko said. "There's not a ton of those guys out there.

"He goes right after people and throws on the inside part of the plate to righties, and there were a couple of guys who were ready for it and hit it. But you know there can be a lot of ground balls to the left side and he's not a comfortable (at-bat). He's not a soft throwing left-hander. It's not like he's throwing 95 or 100 mph, either, but his ball is heavy and it's cutting in and so you really have to have, as a hitter, your ducks in a row when a guy is doing that.

"It's tough to lay off. There are a lot of balls he throws inside that are right there on the edge of the strike zone. You really have to make good decisions and he just keeps pounding it in there. He has had great results. Good for him."

Konerko was impressed with the confidence Quintana showed in his defense, as evidenced by the two double plays.

"I knew they were a good hitting team," Quintana said. "So I was focusing on trying to be in the inside to middle of the plate. One of my biggest concentrations was giving them the cutter. I was trying to throw that cutter, especially deep in the count."

If Quintana continues to pitch well, the Sox could move Philip Humber to the bullpen unless they opt for a six-man rotation — an alignment they went with for about 21/2 months last year.

"I'm just doing my job," Quintana said. "When they give me the ball, I'm just going to pitch. So the other stuff, I'm not concentrating on. I know I pitch Sunday, so I'm going to concentrate on that."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1046891.story

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 03:44 AM)
"He's proving he can pitch up here," Ventura said. "Again, his maturity is one of those things that shows up first for us. He has great stuff, and when he does what he's doing right now, he's making a strong case for staying around."

First baseman Paul Konerko, who hit three singles, echoed Ventura.

"He's one of those left-handers who can really bury the ball in on righties," Konerko said. "There's not a ton of those guys out there.

"He goes right after people and throws on the inside part of the plate to righties, and there were a couple of guys who were ready for it and hit it. But you know there can be a lot of ground balls to the left side and he's not a comfortable (at-bat). He's not a soft throwing left-hander. It's not like he's throwing 95 or 100 mph, either, but his ball is heavy and it's cutting in and so you really have to have, as a hitter, your ducks in a row when a guy is doing that.

"It's tough to lay off. There are a lot of balls he throws inside that are right there on the edge of the strike zone. You really have to make good decisions and he just keeps pounding it in there. He has had great results. Good for him."

Konerko was impressed with the confidence Quintana showed in his defense, as evidenced by the two double plays.

"I knew they were a good hitting team," Quintana said. "So I was focusing on trying to be in the inside to middle of the plate. One of my biggest concentrations was giving them the cutter. I was trying to throw that cutter, especially deep in the count."

If Quintana continues to pitch well, the Sox could move Philip Humber to the bullpen unless they opt for a six-man rotation — an alignment they went with for about 21/2 months last year.

"I'm just doing my job," Quintana said. "When they give me the ball, I'm just going to pitch. So the other stuff, I'm not concentrating on. I know I pitch Sunday, so I'm going to concentrate on that."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1046891.story

Wasn't it less than a month ago you thought the Sox wouldn't be able to produce a 5th starter type pitcher for years?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 07:35 AM)
Wasn't it less than a month ago you thought the Sox wouldn't be able to produce a 5th starter type pitcher for years?

And then it was being argued again last night when I suggested we would find another one for next year.