Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

What really impressed me about Quintana is that he got himself in some trouble but always made the perfect pitch for them to ground into a double play. He is a smart young pitcher and its refreshing to see.

In regards to the rotation. When Danks is 100% healthy, you move Humber into the long relief role as he has been pretty bad lately. He is leaving everything up in the zone and just has lost his touch. Let him work on that in the pen. Floyd has also been bad this season, but I have seen some signs of a Floyd comeback, his curve is slowly coming back and when that happens he can be a dangerous pitcher.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
What really impressed me about Quintana is that he got himself in some trouble but always made the perfect pitch for them to ground into a double play. He is a smart young pitcher and its refreshing to see.

In regards to the rotation. When Danks is 100% healthy, you move Humber into the long relief role as he has been pretty bad lately. He is leaving everything up in the zone and just has lost his touch. Let him work on that in the pen. Floyd has also been bad this season, but I have seen some signs of a Floyd comeback, his curve is slowly coming back and when that happens he can be a dangerous pitcher.

Sounds like the consensus around here. Q replaces PH in the rotation. Cannot see any other move at this point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Ok, that's it...we've really got to try something else at this point...I can't sit through another Gavin start.

Humber one start from being bumped.

Floyd looking even worse, statistically.

Danks aching.

Quintana...how long will his "luck" last?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
Humber one start from being bumped.

Floyd looking even worse, statistically.

Danks aching.

Quintana...how long will his "luck" last?

I'm sure we are afraid to demote Gavin on the chances that we will make him immovable in the offseason. I get that, but we need to at least skip him and give him some time to think or something...

Say what you want about Quintana's "luck," but he's light years ahead of Floyd right now. DL Floyd with "missing testicles" and bring up another kid, for all I care. He can't be any worse than Gavin right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:11 AM)
I'm sure we are afraid to demote Gavin on the chances that we will make him immovable in the offseason. I get that, but we need to at least skip him and give him some time to think or something...

Say what you want about Quintana's "luck," but he's light years ahead of Floyd right now. DL Floyd with "missing testicles" and bring up another kid, for all I care. He can't be any worse than Gavin right now.

Gavin's deal is a $9.5 million club option for 2013.

There's no way they're going to exercise that, so we don't have to worry about him being immovable unless things dramatically change the next couple of months.

You'd have to say with Danks still iffy and Humber on the way out (along with Peavy), Cooper and KW have to be thinking there's one last shot to get Gavin turned around this season or just turn the page with someone like Axelrod and cross their fingers they can survive or tread water while waiting to add a veteran.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
Gavin's deal is a $9.5 million club option for 2013.

There's no way they're going to exercise that, so we don't have to worry about him being immovable unless things dramatically change the next couple of months.

You'd have to say with Danks still iffy and Humber on the way out (along with Peavy), Cooper and KW have to be thinking there's one last shot to get Gavin turned around this season or just turn the page with someone like Axelrod and cross their fingers they can survive or tread water while waiting to add a veteran.

There is still plenty of time for him to get his season back together enough so that we exercise the option. But he'd have to pitch well consistently beginning fairly soon.

We simply can't give away every game he starts. This is 5 or 6 in a row now.

Can't close the book on Gavin or Humber just yet. I can't disagree with a Humber move to the pen though, we should ride the magic that is Q as long as it will last. Humber will probably pick up a spot start or more later in the season if someone goes down for some reason. I felt like Humber was really on the cusp last outing. This Danks stuff is odd, but everything I hear suggests that he shouldn't have a significant injury -- makes me wonder if he conditioned his arm in the off/preseason

I've been harping on this, but I have to say again that the pitch calling has been atrocious. They insist on making our guys into two pitch pitchers, especially against same handed batter. I understand that Mark Parent may have had a hard time hitting a curveball in his playing days, but the fastball-curveball only combo is what makes relievers. Both of these guys have changeups and we should utilizing them, Humber in particular. Humber's changeup output has been halved since last year. I know neither pitcher has a great changeup, but they are both serviceable and throwing the pitch enough to keep it in the mind of every batter changes the composure of every batter. We've also decided not to throw inside apparently, but I'm about to give up on that one :(

I am still against giving up much of anything of value to get a starting pitcher. We don't have many pieces and I can't think of a proposed deal I've heard yet that would be worth it. We came into this season trying to build a perennial winner and trading out of our barren upper minors is just a terrible idea IMO as is trading young players off the active roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 06:57 AM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin

Floyd is staying in the rotation. Nothing close to discussion of a change postgame

Yeah, and this is the smart money here...but I sure as hell hope they are trying to come up with a different game plan between starts...his cutter f***ing sucks.

My biggest problem with Floyd has been his consistent inconsistency. Although, he's been consistently bad for a couple starts now. I don't know what to do with the guy. He shows flashes of being a very good pitcher (his curveball has been great lately), but overall he seems to buckle under pressure.

Peavy and Sale seem like the real deal. I feel pretty confident every time they start. I feel pretty about Quintana, too, although I think we're all waiting for the bottom to fall out. Humber and Floyd...no confidence in these guys right now. And Danks, who knows. Hopefully he comes back from the DL and pitches a lot better.

What it boils down to is that we have some problems with the starting pitching. Not having confidence in 40% of your starters is not good. I think moving Humber to the bullpen and keeping Q in the rotation is the way to go right now. Beyond that? Do the Sox bring someone up or find a cheap veteran?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
It really seems like the guy is struggling with movement on his fastball out of the stretch. I am guessing he is having problems rushing stuff while using the slide step they have him going with now.

Hawk gave a theory last night that he's also using the cutter enough that it's screwing up his grip/control/motion on the 4 seam fastball, and I'm wondering if there's something to that also.

Floyd has had difficulty from the stretch his entire career, whether he was paying attention to baserunners or not, but the way his fastball is getting crushed, maybe he's tipping his pitches. Its amazing how bad hitters have been looking vs. his curve the last couple of games, but he winds up giving up a lot of runs.

Doyle was 26 years old 6'4" 260 pounds.....6-3 this year with a 2.83 era in 76 innings pitched he only allowed 53 hits 25 runs while walking 18 & striking out 71 & opponents batting. 199 against him.

Why would we cut him so he could go to Japan????

We could have used him down the stretch & long man in the pen.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Doyle was 26 years old 6'4" 260 pounds.....6-3 this year with a 2.83 era in 76 innings pitched he only allowed 53 hits 25 runs while walking 18 & striking out 71 & opponents batting. 199 against him.

Why would we cut him so he could go to Japan????

We could have used him down the stretch & long man in the pen.

Because he was somewhere between 10th and 12 on the starting pitching depth chart.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
Because he was somewhere between 10th and 12 on the starting pitching depth chart.

He was only 26 though....I could see if he was 30, but he showed some real promise this year. The way Humber Danks & Floyd have pitched combine with the way Q has come up and performed this move makes ZERO sense. Our system is already a joke so why let somebody still fairly young showing some promise just walk away?

A terrible descision IMO by the organization. You just don't let quality pitching walk away for nothing in baseball.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:21 AM)
He was only 26 though....I could see if he was 30, but he showed some real promise this year. The way Humber Danks & Floyd have pitched combine with the way Q has come up and performed this move makes ZERO sense. Our system is already a joke so why let somebody still fairly young showing some promise just walk away?

A terrible descision IMO by the organization. You just don't let quality pitching walk away for nothing in baseball.

Because he wasn't as good as the numbers indicate. If he was, he'd be here. This is a guy who the Twins wouldn't even keep, with a 100 loss team. That alone should tell you something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Because he wasn't as good as the numbers indicate. If he was, he'd be here. This is a guy who the Twins wouldn't even keep, with a 100 loss team. That alone should tell you something.

His numbers are much better than what Qs were down in AA. Q does not have great stuff but what he does have is great command & when you locate pitches you can get big leaguers out just as Q is doing now.

Doyle has BETTER stuff than Q with just as much command hence him getting a bunch of ppl out in AAA & ppl only hitting .199 off of him.

Just doesn't make sense for an organization with very little in the pitching department in the minors.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
His numbers are much better than what Qs were down in AA. Q does not have great stuff but what he does have is great command & when you locate pitches you can get big leaguers out just as Q is doing now.

Doyle has BETTER stuff than Q with just as much command hence him getting a bunch of ppl out in AAA & ppl only hitting .199 off of him.

Just doesn't make sense for an organization with very little in the pitching department in the minors.

If he was that good, why didn't the Twins keep him?

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Gavin needs to ditch the damn cutter.

Just saw the Tigers are looking into acquiring Quentin & the Tribe have their eyes on Soriano since Damon is stinking up the joint.

We need to get this rotation fixed going forward if we want to stay in this race throughout the summer.

Oh geez the tigers just might have the worst defense in the history of baseball. Adding quinton makes it even worse.

I hope the tigers do make the move

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Gavin needs to ditch the damn cutter.

Just saw the Tigers are looking into acquiring Quentin & the Tribe have their eyes on Soriano since Damon is stinking up the joint.

We need to get this rotation fixed going forward if we want to stay in this race throughout the summer.

Not happening and not happening.