Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
If he was that good, why didn't the Twins keep him?

Because he had a terrible spring and the twins had other guys they wanted to keep on their 25 man roster...Im with you nooks, I think Doyle would have been a solid 4/5. Peoples arguments here have not detoured me away from that thinking but its moot point now.

I can just imagine the pressure Doyle must have felt in ST. A guy who never pitched above AA going into a new organization and having to earn a 25 man roster spot to boot. IMO Terry got the seasoning he needed in AAA and woulda been the guy to go yo should we shut down Sale down the stretch.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
Because he had a terrible spring and the twins had other guys they wanted to keep on their 25 man roster...Im with you nooks, I think Doyle would have been a solid 4/5. Peoples arguments here have not detoured me away from that thinking but its moot point now.

I can just imagine the pressure Doyle must have felt in ST. A guy who never pitched above AA going into a new organization and having to earn a 25 man roster spot to boot. IMO Terry got the seasoning he needed in AAA and woulda been the guy to go yo should we shut down Sale down the stretch.

They were in a position to hold him on their roster with zero expectations for this season, if they thought he would contribute in 13 or beyond.

Somehow I have a feeling the tale of this season won't be, "well, if we'd only inserted Doyle into the starting rotation in June (July/August/September), then we'd have won the division for sure."

It's not like Thome vs. Kotsay/Jones.

Could see the White Sox looking at Dice-K as a FA reclamation project this offseason. 2nd year back after TJ is always the better one, but he's one of those guys who drives you crazy with the nibbling. If he could find a pitching coach who could change his approach (see the transformation with Contreras) to get him to become more aggressive, attack hitters and trust his stuff, you might really have something.

Plus, it'd be good for marketing/box office.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
His numbers are much better than what Qs were down in AA. Q does not have great stuff but what he does have is great command & when you locate pitches you can get big leaguers out just as Q is doing now.

Doyle has BETTER stuff than Q with just as much command hence him getting a bunch of ppl out in AAA & ppl only hitting .199 off of him.

Just doesn't make sense for an organization with very little in the pitching department in the minors.

I think the Sox would have been happy to give him a chance when the spot came up, but it never happened. He was sick of waiting and could make much more money in Japan so he asked to be let go. We obliged him because at this point the odds of him even getting a cup of tea were low. Let the kid make some money, if he pitches well over there we can pick him up as a FA someday

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
I think the Sox would have been happy to give him a chance when the spot came up, but it never happened. He was sick of waiting and could make much more money in Japan so he asked to be let go. We obliged him because at this point the odds of him even getting a cup of tea were low. Let the kid make some money, if he pitches well over there we can pick him up as a FA someday

Colby Lewis went to Japan and came back to have quite the successful career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 12:39 AM)
With Drabek tearing his elbow, Morrow getting hurt and Hutchison leaving the game with an injury tonight, KW should be on the phone with AA discussing Gavin Floyd.

I don't think we could get a thing for him.

Brett Lawrie? :D

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
With Drabek tearing his elbow, Morrow getting hurt and Hutchison leaving the game with an injury tonight, KW should be on the phone with AA discussing Gavin Floyd.

So you would be looking for future pieces or someone to help the team win this season?

After the Santos/Molina trade, I'm not sure how comfortable AA would be taking another pitcher from the Sox so soon.

On the other hand, it looks like we got fleeced by agreeing to take Stewart and Molina as major pieces in return, so who knows...

Ultimately, you could argue we would have been much better off had we dealt Gavin Floyd and Matt Thornton in the offseason, as many wanted and advised. At the very least, you would have an extra $10-15 million on top of what you have left to spend right now to fix all the problems springing up everywhere. That's not even taking into consideration the talent we could have acquired in return.

Now, we'd be lucky to get anything resembling a B prospect and salary relief.

Heck, if you could get Beck to slim down and fix his mechanics quickly, he might be the best pitcher in our system right now to just into the breach.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
I expected the rotation to hold up through this interleague stretch. Their performance and Danks health makes me think one starter might not be enough.

Give Axelrod a chance. He seems okay. Deserves a few starts to see what he can do.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 10:30 AM)
Give Axelrod a chance. He seems okay. Deserves a few starts to see what he can do.

He's not good. AAAA material.

As for trading Floyd to the Jays, that's a silly idea. Unless Floyd's right arm completely fell off today, his value couldn't be any lower.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
He's not good. AAAA material.

As for trading Floyd to the Jays, that's a silly idea. Unless Floyd's right arm completely fell off today, his value couldn't be any lower.

I think Axelrod could be a stop gap, give you a 4.5-5 ERA for the rest of the season if need be. No need to call him up to be our savior if guys are struggling though -- I'd only do it as an injury replacement. I'd rather see Simon Castro.

As for the Floyd business, I wholeheartedly agree.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
That is what a lot of people said about de aza too.

lol...what?

With Sale, Peavy and Quintana holding together (although, each have obvious concerns), it really does come down to Gavin Floyd getting things together, and leaving one question mark, which is hopefully John Danks, who may end up serving as a quasi-trade addition if he doesn't have a serious arm injury and can return in the next 1-2 months. As for the 5th spot, Humber's clearly in need of a good start tonight else I do think they will make a switch, whether it's Axelrod, or some other option.

Unfortunately, the White Sox are regressing back to .500 quickly here, hope they can get things right in LA against a good team.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 04:16 PM)
With Sale, Peavy and Quintana holding together (although, each have obvious concerns), it really does come down to Gavin Floyd getting things together, and leaving one question mark, which is hopefully John Danks, who may end up serving as a quasi-trade addition if he doesn't have a serious arm injury and can return in the next 1-2 months. As for the 5th spot, Humber's clearly in need of a good start tonight else I do think they will make a switch, whether it's Axelrod, or some other option.

Unfortunately, the White Sox are regressing back to .500 quickly here, hope they can get things right in LA against a good team.

Sale had a below average outing (3 runs in before he left) but last night is on Crain, Alexei's brain fart, and Thornton.

Last night does not prove Dodger superiority.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
lol...what?

I understand what he is saying, a lot of people were saying De Aza was just a AAAA player too. And he is right, a lot of people buried De Aza as Pierre-lite.

That does not mean I feel Axelrod is NOT a AAAA, I don't think the two are comparable at all

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
I understand what he is saying, a lot of people were saying De Aza was just a AAAA player too. And he is right, a lot of people buried De Aza as Pierre-lite.

That does not mean I feel Axelrod is NOT a AAAA, I don't think the two are comparable at all

Okay, I thought he was saying we should trade him or something. I didn't understand the comment

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 11:10 PM)
???

Ummmmm no! I like de aza. I was saying that to the person that said axelrod is only a AAAA player. The same was said by a few here about de aza too.

Axelrod is like de Aza in that neither had been proven to be non-MLB players, but hadn't earned a shot in the MLB without some kind of catastrophe (injury, etc). ADA got his and Axelrod has had a cup of coffee and has put himself in position to be the favorite if we have to have an MLB starter. Not the type of player that pushes a veteran out of the rotation very easily though, just based on his prospect status. If he gets here and produces, no one will talk down about him

I will continue to reiterate that I would not make a deal to add a starter. The Sox have 6 guys capable of pitching (if you include Quintana and he should be included in this mix for the time being). If the Sox want to make an upgrade, add a veteran reliever (although I'm fine with the pen as is) or pick up a 3rd baseman. That is all I would do. Otherwise let the young players develop and see if the Sox can somehow get there magic back and win the division.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 01:23 AM)
I will continue to reiterate that I would not make a deal to add a starter. The Sox have 6 guys capable of pitching (if you include Quintana and he should be included in this mix for the time being). If the Sox want to make an upgrade, add a veteran reliever (although I'm fine with the pen as is) or pick up a 3rd baseman. That is all I would do. Otherwise let the young players develop and see if the Sox can somehow get there magic back and win the division.

You have a lot more faith in Cooper, Floyd and Humber than many do.

You're probably right. 3B is an easier fix than adding pitching, which is always prohibitively expensive. If nothing else, we can always refer back to Holmberg/Hudson for Jackson to scare ourselves straight from making another desperation move like that which paralyzes our future.

For all we know, one of those guys will come around. Then again, we also know Quintana won't continue to post a 1.5 ERA, either.

And we do know that at some point, Sale's future and present will collide around the 150-170 IP mark.

I just wish KW knew what he was doing and that there were better options to inspire confidence than Stewart, Molina, Castro and Axelrod.