Something has to be done to improve the rotation

sunofgold

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:23 PM)
I will continue to reiterate that I would not make a deal to add a starter. The Sox have 6 guys capable of pitching (if you include Quintana and he should be included in this mix for the time being). If the Sox want to make an upgrade, add a veteran reliever (although I'm fine with the pen as is) or pick up a 3rd baseman. That is all I would do. Otherwise let the young players develop and see if the Sox can somehow get there magic back and win the division.

Maybe it will happen. It was mentioned today that Boston has scouted the Sox the last 4 days. I wonder if KW wants Bard.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 02:11 AM)
Maybe it will happen. It was mentioned today that Boston has scouted the Sox the last 4 days. I wonder if KW wants Bard.

The Red Sox are ready to throw the towel in on the season already?

That would be shocking.

Or they believe that adding Crain/Thornton/Nathan Jones and prospects (Mitchell, etc.) would be worth it for a possible frontline starter, possible bust?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)

Why the f*** would you waste your limited resources for Bard? Jones, Crain & Reed are pretty solid as far as RH relievers go. He has obviously proven he's not much of a starter.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Why the f*** would you waste your limited resources for Bard? Jones, Crain & Reed are pretty solid as far as RH relievers go. He has obviously proven he's not much of a starter.

KW has loved Bard for a while. He's been untouchable. He's still fairly priced contractually. Its been said the Sox are looking for a reliever. Maybe its Youkilis, maybe its Bard, maybe its someone else they are discussing. I'm speculating Bard because KW rarely takes his eyes off his targets no matter how long he's been eyeing them.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
KW has loved Bard for a while. He's been untouchable. He's still fairly priced contractually. Its been said the Sox are looking for a reliever. Maybe its Youkilis, maybe its Bard, maybe its someone else they are discussing. I'm speculating Bard because KW rarely takes his eyes off his targets no matter how long he's been eyeing them.

I hope not, because that would be dumb. He is still under control for 3 more years, but he is already making almost $2 million. And it's not like the Sox have tons of resources to trade anyway.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:39 PM)
With Drabek tearing his elbow, Morrow getting hurt and Hutchison leaving the game with an injury tonight, KW should be on the phone with AA discussing Gavin Floyd.

Toronto is so desperate for starting pitching that they are offering to take Jeremy Guthrie off the Rockies' hands for a AA first baseman. Guthrie has about $5 Mil left on his contract this year, and Toronto willing to pay it. Guthrie makes Humber look like an all star.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
You have a lot more faith in Cooper, Floyd and Humber than many do.

You're probably right. 3B is an easier fix than adding pitching, which is always prohibitively expensive. If nothing else, we can always refer back to Holmberg/Hudson for Jackson to scare ourselves straight from making another desperation move like that which paralyzes our future.

For all we know, one of those guys will come around. Then again, we also know Quintana won't continue to post a 1.5 ERA, either.

And we do know that at some point, Sale's future and present will collide around the 150-170 IP mark.

I just wish KW knew what he was doing and that there were better options to inspire confidence than Stewart, Molina, Castro and Axelrod.

Well its more to the point of, ultimately you aren't going to stick Floyd into the pen. He's getting paid a lot of money and you aren't pulling him. So what are you asking, that the Sox move Humber/Q and add another starter (one who probably gets paid) to what is an already expensive rotation (Danks/Peavy/Floyd all make good money..adding a 4th to a cash strapped club doesn't make much sense to me).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Well its more to the point of, ultimately you aren't going to stick Floyd into the pen. He's getting paid a lot of money and you aren't pulling him. So what are you asking, that the Sox move Humber/Q and add another starter (one who probably gets paid) to what is an already expensive rotation (Danks/Peavy/Floyd all make good money..adding a 4th to a cash strapped club doesn't make much sense to me).

Yes. And IMO it is worth however many bad starts to get Gavin Floyd going again so you can keep him around next year without the deal looking like a waste.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 05:03 AM)

It's actually going to be interesting to see how long Quintana can pitch this well, to the point where we can start debating "does he have more value to another team versus what we could get for flipping him at his highest possible value?"

I doubt he'll be traded, though. And it's equally compelling to see how hard they'll push Quintana against any kind of perceived "innings limit" vis a vis Sale, the most valued property in our organization. Both of them might have to be shut down in August/September.

You ride Sale/Peavy/Q as long as you can, try to fix Humber in the pen and then try more minor league "band aids" while waiting out a move for a pitcher in a similar situation to Floyd's whose rights you could control into 2013 but who doesn't have to stay on your payroll indefinitely.

And then there's the big elephant in the room, what's wrong with Danks?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
It's actually going to be interesting to see how long Quintana can pitch this well, to the point where we can start debating "does he have more value to another team versus what we could get for flipping him at his highest possible value?"

I doubt he'll be traded, though. And it's equally compelling to see how hard they'll push Quintana against any kind of perceived "innings limit" vis a vis Sale, the most valued property in our organization. Both of them might have to be shut down in August/September.

You ride Sale/Peavy/Q as long as you can, try to fix Humber in the pen and then try more minor league "band aids" while waiting out a move for a pitcher in a similar situation to Floyd's whose rights you could control into 2013 but who doesn't have to stay on your payroll indefinitely.

And then there's the big elephant in the room, what's wrong with Danks?

Something is clearly wrong with Danks. I dont like how these MRI results havent been disclosed yet.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
Gotta wonder if Floyd and/or Humber are tipping their pitches. Both have had their good stuff recently, and their FB's are getting jacked.

Not good stuff if it's really just one effective pitch. That includes having an electric, moving fastball you can command.

Good curveballs. That's basically it.

But out of the stretch, both of them are getting hammered, and Gavin's especially not driving off the mound and getting full extension, which is causing his pitches to elevate and lose speed and movement.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
I concur. I feel like the delay means it is bad news.

One thing to think about is that about 75% of MLB pitchers have some degree of labral tearing. There may be an issue in determining its significance if something like that is present.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
One thing to think about is that about 75% of MLB pitchers have some degree of labral tearing. There may be an issue in determining its significance if something like that is present.

Did you say labral or vaginal?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 06:33 PM)
Something is clearly wrong with Danks. I dont like how these MRI results havent been disclosed yet.

I don't know why the Sox would hold out releasing the results just because they were bad. The person evaluating the MRI probably wasn't available to evaluate. Its not unusual for it to take 24 hours.

KW was on the pregame show, and unless he's a real great actor, he appeared to not know the result. He said he thinks its general soreness, that Danks said he was feeling better and the MRI wasn't taken because they suspect something wrong, it was just to cover all the bases.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 19, 2012 -> 02:02 AM)
I hope Stewart is DFA's or optioned to minors after tonight.

There's no reason to keep him around. He's so bad it's laughable. Let somebody else take him on and try to fix him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
I don't know why the Sox would hold out releasing the results just because they were bad. The person evaluating the MRI probably wasn't available to evaluate. Its not unusual for it to take 24 hours.

KW was on the pregame show, and unless he's a real great actor, he appeared to not know the result. He said he thinks its general soreness, that Danks said he was feeling better and the MRI wasn't taken because they suspect something wrong, it was just to cover all the bases.

Well it wasnt general soreness

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
Not good stuff if it's really just one effective pitch. That includes having an electric, moving fastball you can command.

Good curveballs. That's basically it.

But out of the stretch, both of them are getting hammered, and Gavin's especially not driving off the mound and getting full extension, which is causing his pitches to elevate and lose speed and movement.

Both of them have good FB's with movement. It seems like everybody is sitting dead red on them. They can't get a FB over the plate, not because it's a ball, it's a bomb.