GT: Sox @ da Champs, 06/12, 7:15, the U

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
And the whole "in first place" thing.

Some of you may have noticed this by now. But Marty doesnt actually know what he is talking about.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
If the deal for Ramirez is as overwhelming as I'm lead to believe it would be by reading this thread, it doesn't matter.

Overwhelming, you are going to get market value for him. Problem is, market value is probably 2 prospects, which really don't do the Sox much good when they are in the midst of the playoffs. Weren't you the guy wanting to deal Viciedo for a starting pitcher (or Youk) anyway? Seems pretty inconsistent and to be frank, both ideas as proposed are pretty terrible.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
If all you do is trade your good players, you probably never actually win. I'm all for trading guys if you get the right value and fill in the pieces but I don't exactly know who the hell the Sox are going to get to fill the void. Shortstop is a hard position to fill and unless Beckham proves he can hit, he can't play at short. I can live with his defense at short if he's hitting the hell out of the ball, but if he isn't, he needs to stay at 2B. Escobar isn't able to hit enough to short (and is a downgrade defensively; not a knock on Esocbar, again, more of a compliment to Ramirez) and Lillibridge sure as heck isn't competent enough offensively to play (and again, is a defensive downgrade).

And it's not like Saladino is anything close to a "sure thing" in AA.

You make that kind of a move when you have a capable replacement, like the Phillies did when they jettisoned Thome to open up the position for Howard.

We're NEVER going to get anyone both close to major league ready and capable of being an offensive and defensive force.

Alexei's very well-liked in the clubhouse and one of the "glue" players on this team that everybody respects.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
If the deal for Ramirez is as overwhelming as I'm lead to believe it would be by reading this thread, it doesn't matter.

Yes it does. You will be a first place team without a SS.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
I love the fact that he attacks on the mound and changes his pitches. He throws at various speeds and angles and if you do that with command and decent stuff, you have a chance.

I get you. I'm sorta just dumbfounded to see this from a guy who should be in AA..

Maybe one factor could be nobody has a scouting report on this kid, but it's all pretty basic stuff.

Especially the NL teams, they don't scout the AL as much, but every team has advanced scouts and minor league scouts, and they have video of all his outings.

You keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the rest of baseball to adjust to Quintana, but it hasn't happened yet. Humber had his roll for almost 3 months last year...who knows at this point?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
Overwhelming, you are going to get market value for him. Problem is, market value is probably 2 prospects, which really don't do the Sox much good when they are in the midst of the playoffs. Weren't you the guy wanting to deal Viciedo for a starting pitcher (or Youk) anyway? Seems pretty inconsistent and to be frank, both ideas as proposed are pretty terrible.

Not inconsistent at all. If you get rid of Ramirez contract and trade for Grienke you have enough payroll flexabillity to sign Grienke. A top 3 of Sale, Grienke, and Danks for next year would be worth finding replacements for Viciedo and Ramirez.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Cubs have runners at the corners, no one out, bot 6th leading 1-0 over Detroit.

You know the fake to third, throw to first pick off move that no one falls for? It just picked off Soriano.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
I get you. I'm sorta just dumbfounded to see this from a guy who should be in AA..

The question is if he can sustain. Heck, look at the success the Dodgers have had with a lot of hasbeens this year. The Sox have done the same with guys that were never very hyped (I realize De Aza should have started with the Marlins prior to having a nasty injury, but look from afar and the Sox have had success with Nate Jones (never highly touted outside of Soxtalk; Hector Santiago; Quintana; De Aza). Even Viciedo, despite getting paid, was generally underhyped outside of the White Sox org (or at least thats what the media has lead us to believe).

Sox have done one thing well, scout, cause Kenny and the org seems to have a much higher success rate on these kind of guys then others. Makes you wish we could win a couple big trades sooner or later.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
Maybe one factor could be nobody has a scouting report on this kid, but it's all pretty basic stuff.

Especially the NL teams, they don't scout the AL as much, but every team has advanced scouts and minor league scouts, and they have video of all his outings.

You keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the rest of baseball to adjust to Quintana, but it hasn't happened yet. Humber had his roll for almost 3 months last year...who knows at this point?

I don't think Humbers was due to scouting last year. He was pretty nasty. Good command, nasty curveball, solid fastballs that he used inside and out. Its frustarting watching him at times this year cause the biggest issue is his command has gone to s***.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Not inconsistent at all. If you get rid of Ramirez contract and trade for Grienke you have enough payroll flexabillity to sign Grienke. A top 3 of Sale, Grienke, and Danks for next year would be worth finding replacements for Viciedo and Ramirez.

Greinke will test the market.

No way you get him to sign an extension before he finds out what he's worth to the rest of the teams in MLB.

And it's going to take more than Viciedo, it would be Viciedo and Reed (maybe Mitchell, but I'd ask for Reed or both), probably. You can't make this trade without crippling your major league roster in multiple places, and the falloff at SS/LF/closer would negate anything you gained from adding Greinke to the rotation in the first place.

Then you'd be left with a gaping hole in LF again next year, which you'd have to replace with either Mitchell or a free agent.