GT: Sox @ da Champs, 06/12, 7:15, the U

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:30 PM)
When he was hot, he started driving fastballs to right for singles as well as getting a number of groundball singles, and was keeping the pitchers honest.

He also was laying off the high fastballs, and his K rate went way down compared to the first 4-5 weeks.

Then he was picking his pitches to drive when ahead in counts, mostly sliders and change-ups. Now he has to make another adjustment.

But he clearly had a different approach when he was going well there...it was obvious, look at his hit charts.

He was spraying hits in 2010 too. He can't hit a good fastball. This poses a minor problem. I'm not saying he won't be a good hitter, I just don't know that he'll come anywhere close to meeting the expectations of you folks.

Edited by iamshack

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
I don't know what to say, but this is idiotic. I'd understand if he's been s***ty his entire professional career (which is under one year and this is his 1st year of being an everyday player) but this is a guy thats done pretty damn well.

Minor League service counts as pro ball. I don't think he'll be an elite offensive force.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
Minor League service counts as pro ball. I don't think he'll be an elite offensive force.

He will be for weeks at a time I think...just not consistently enough to be an elite player.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
He was spraying hits in 2010 too. He can't hit a good fastball. This poses a minor problem. I'm not saying he won't be a good hitter, I just don't know that he'll come anywhere close to meeting the expectations of you folks.

He has the bat speed, more than even Frank Thomas, it's just pitch selection.

He's more comfortable with sliders and offspeed pitches right now.

For Big Hurt's entire career, he had a slider speed bat, but it never stopped him from becoming a first ballot Hall of Famer because of his great patience and plate discipline.

Obviously, that's Dayan's weakest point, but, once again....he's a 23 year old still learning and adjusting. He has a full four years to go before he would even be considered to be in his prime.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)

I think he has the rare ability to be a .300, 30 & 100 RBI guy. The average may be higher then some think but with that bat speed and his ability to hit (and with power to all fields) makes me think he can sustain the average. I think his downside is a .270 & 25-30 HR guy.

Those are what I consider to be pretty lofty, yet relatively realistic expectations (although I might be crazy). I'm not saying he's going to be a .330, 45, 120 guy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)

For Big Hurt's entire career, he had a slider speed bat, but it never stopped him from becoming a first ballot Hall of Famer because of his great patience and plate discipline.

Obviously, that's Dayan's weakest point, but, once again....he's a 23 year old still learning and adjusting. He has a full four years to go before he would even be considered to be in his prime.

Hes 23, not 15.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
That's clearly what Marty meant when he referred to "his entire professional career."

I think its silly he is throwing that into the equation

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 07:33 PM)

Now I'm even more fooled, cause all he's done is got better every year (and last year he crushed the ball with the exception of the games where he was fighting his wrist injury).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:35 PM)

How long has he had this "bat speed" and how long before it typically slows down?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
I think he has the rare ability to be a .300, 30 & 100 RBI guy. The average may be higher then some think but with that bat speed and his ability to hit (and with power to all fields) makes me think he can sustain the average. I think his downside is a .270 & 25-30 HR guy.

Those are what I consider to be pretty lofty, yet relatively realistic expectations (although I might be crazy). I'm not saying he's going to be a .330, 45, 120 guy.

I'm thinking more along the downside of what you said...and don't get me wrong...that would be fine....but I wouldn't lose sleep over trading that away if we got back a great piece we could extend.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:36 PM)
I think he has the rare ability to be a .300, 30 & 100 RBI guy.

Every year or just one year? I think he can put together a season, maybe two like that but I don't think he'll consistently put up those types of seasons without a lot more plate discipline.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
He will be for weeks at a time I think...just not consistently enough to be an elite player.

And there's only 10-15 elite players in the game.

I'm not going to put him in the Hall of Fame or anything, but he's going to be a very solid contributor who makes 2-3 All-Star games for the White Sox before all is said and done.

Nobody acquiring him would give up "elite" prospects anyways, because he's a defensively-limited left fielder.

He does have a good arm for the position, but that's more important in RF.

Still, when you look at our roster in 2015 and beyond, we have zero power there except for Viciedo, Barnum, Hawkins, Trayce Thompson, etc.

He's still worth a lot more to the White Sox going forward than to another franchise. It would take a huge haul for KW to part with him at this point, after all the development investment has started to pay off on him.

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
Every year or just one year? I think he can put together a season, maybe two like that but I don't think he'll consistently put up those types of seasons without a lot more plate discipline.

I think he has a shot of being that type of player (meaning on a yearly basis). And I don't think I've said that about any other Sox prospect since Carlos Lee (& Maggs).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
I think he has a shot of being that type of player (meaning on a yearly basis). And I don't think I've said that about any other Sox prospect since Carlos Lee (& Maggs).

I don't even know where to put a ceiling on him. If he decided to be a power hitter, he probably has 50 home run power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
And there's only 10-15 elite players in the game.

I'm not going to put him in the Hall of Fame or anything, but he's going to be a very solid contributor who makes 2-3 All-Star games for the White Sox before all is said and done.

Nobody acquiring him would give up "elite" prospects anyways, because he's a defensively-limited left fielder.

He does have a good arm for the position, but that's more important in RF.

Still, when you look at our roster in 2015 and beyond, we have zero power there except for Viciedo, Barnum, Hawkins, Trayce Thompson, etc.

He's still worth a lot more to the White Sox going forward than to another franchise. It would take a huge haul for KW to part with him at this point, after all the development investment has started to pay off on him.

Ok, I shouldn't have said elite. I guess I mean more like all-star.

Now this nonsense about him not having trade value is pure horses***.

He can't be amazingly talented and yet have marginal trade value, given his paycheck.