GT: Sox @ da Champs, 06/12, 7:15, the U

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:42 PM)
I don't even know where to put a ceiling on him. If he decided to be a power hitter, he probably has 50 home run power.

If he decided?

Just what do you think he has decided?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
I'm thinking more along the downside of what you said...and don't get me wrong...that would be fine....but I wouldn't lose sleep over trading that away if we got back a great piece we could extend.

I just don't see how the Sox can give up a cost controller guy like that and win a dael. Not too many guys in our system that can do this (and given the age of Dunn/Konerko/AJP) the Sox drastically need a young offensive threat or two. Unless I got a young dynamic CF or starting pitcher, I wouldn't deal Viciedo and I doubt anyone would give those type of guys up for Viciedo (cause there are very few of them too).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:44 PM)
I just don't see how the Sox can give up a cost controller guy like that and win a dael. Not too many guys in our system that can do this (and given the age of Dunn/Konerko/AJP) the Sox drastically need a young offensive threat or two. Unless I got a young dynamic CF or starting pitcher, I wouldn't deal Viciedo and I doubt anyone would give those type of guys up for Viciedo (cause there are very few of them too).

I'd deal him for Wright if we could have the window.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
I'd deal him for Wright if we could have the window.

Thats an interesting idea. Hard part is the Sox are still in a financial bind, but defintiely something to consider, given the complete lack of talent the Sox have at 3rd (given that I'll never be able to count on Morel after he has surgery). I still don't think I do it though. I love cheap talent that produces, especially given the Sox attendance woes and Dunn, Rios, and Danks contracts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
Ok, I shouldn't have said elite. I guess I mean more like all-star.

Now this nonsense about him not having trade value is pure horses***.

He can't be amazingly talented and yet have marginal trade value, given his paycheck.

Maybe the Brewers would trade for JUST him (Viciedo) for 3-4 months of Greinke.

If I was them, I hold out for Nathan Jones and Mitchell, too, because 10-12 other teams will be in on Greinke.

I just think it would go down with the Hudson/Holmberg moves as a short-sighted one that crippled the franchise, because I have no illusions of Zack signing a long-term deal with the White Sox on the open market.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
But your entire post was based on him being a rental.

It was based on you trading a cost controlled talent for someone who is about to have an albatross of a contract. Im just thankful you arent GM. Thats not how franchises are run.

Dayan can come a long way yet. He's only 23, hasn't repeated a level, and is pretty productive so far as it is. Even better, he's not a bad LF'er. He may stick out there for a while -- it's on him to stay in shape.

I am concerned about his problems hitting fastballs, but he often approaches them with the intent to go to RF...which is a good place to start. I just want to see him go up there and be able to at least hit the inside fastball hard when he's looking for it...sometimes I think he goes up there knowing they will work him in with fastballs and just can't do anything with it. Magglio oftentimes would get worked inside with fastballs but his career began to turn when he would combine the knowledge that he'd probably see a fastball inside with a newfound ability to turn on it. All of the sudden a whole third of the plate opened up for him and he had a great career.

Have we mentioned the raw talent on this guy? Sky high. Last year at AAA he had very serviceable BB numbers btw. He'll work it out, I'd expect him to finish around where he is this year with perhaps 30 HR's. With a good run, I'd say 40 is still in the cards...but not likely of course. Next year should be a big step forward and we'll really learn from what we see him improve on next season. We're just establishing a baseline this year, basically. He is talented enough to keep progressing and I don't expect his game to regress. He's better than he was the first times we called him up and I believe that trend will continue.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
I'd pay the money for Wright.

You're going to give him a $120-140 million contract?

That's nice, but you aren't JR. It's always fun to spend the money of others, especially after watching what happened with Peavy, Dunn and Rios the last 2-3 seasons.